Weekly menu features international dishes with vegetables, potatoes, noodles, and rice. Uses seasonal and GMO-free ingredients. Non smoking. This is a one person operation (proprietor does everything) so reservations are requested so she can plan out her ingredients for the day. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Beer/Wine
Thomas-Wimmer-Ring 16 (next to S-Bahn)
Munich, Germany 80538
089-28806836

Open Tue-Sat 12-2pm, Mon-Sat 6pm-12am.

• Reservations required

First Review by Red Sonya
britred11
britred11

Great food & great atmosphere

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2014

We visited this restaurant on a friday evening which was interesting as on fridays and saturdays the restaurant only serves either a 3-course or a 5-course menu. A reservation is not only recommended but mandatory as this is a smaller restaurant and to avoid being turned away at the door, really do make a reservation. The menus can be made vegan and the vegan option I had was great! This was one of the best vegan meals I have had in a while and I will definitely be back for more. Maybe this time during the week to be able to try some more dishes from the regular menu. This place will even appeal to non-vegetarians. The atmosphere is cosy and intimate and a great option for "date night".

Pros: Very cosy and individual setting, Great food - also for vegans, very friendly and accommodating staff
Cons: reservations highly recommended
DaniM
DaniM

Super

3 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

We went there for a dinner during the week. First impression was, that it's an cozy small restaurant and the owner she does everything by herself (service and cooking). She is very friendly and did everything she could do to satisfy us. It's no problem for her to fulfill extra wishes as to the meals.
The main courses overall were delicious though nothing too special. Nevertheless, it's very yummy to eat there.

Natschke
Natschke

Could be better...

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

I went to Vegelangelo with my boyfriend last weekend and we had a 3 course menu. The atmosphere is nice though a bit overloaded of Asian-spiritual stuff. The menu started with a algue salad and beetroot-coconut soup, both vegan, but the soup came with buckwheat which was not mentioned on the menu and that ruined the soup. The bread that came along with the selfmade spread was good, nevertheless. The main dish was polenta with vegetables. It was okay but nothing special and too salty. The other option that evening was some pasta but it was not possible to have it vegan as the pasta contained egg (which is something really not necessary even for a vegetarian I would say). The dessert - mousse au chocolat - was great but could not compensate the rest. For that price we would definitely expect more. The owner (and service and cook) was nice but not too service-orientated, we would have had more drinks for example if she had asked but she passed by without even looking our direction... This evening only six guests were there, most of the reserved tables where still empty when we left after 9 pm.

Pros: Atmosphere, dessert
Cons: Price performance ratio

s_k_
s_k_

delightful and unique

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

The food here is excellent. The dishes can be simple but are prepared with care, tasty but not overwhelming.

The owner asks for reservations, which can be a bit of a nuisance for foreign tourists, but her English is excellent and she works very well with email, so it's really not a problem.

Just one warning: she seems to like smoked cheese a *lot*. I don't. I didn't notice that my main dish was topped with it (to be fair, the menu said so explicitly). So if you don't care for smoky cheese, be careful and be explicit.

This place only takes cash. It's easy to get to by public transport. It's not huge, but it does have more seating than many other Munich vegetarian places.

The ambiance is lovely, with a fun, cross-language music mix. Even the bathroom(s) are amusing (e.g., the mens' room has a collection of toiletries, including perfumes).

But because there seems to be only one person working the whole place, expect things to take time. Don't go here if you're in a rush.

Pros: quality food, great atmosphere, reasonable prices
Cons: smoky cheese!
rintintin31000
rintintin31000

Marvellous

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

Everything was perfect, as we go my partner and I last Friday evening to that beautifully decorated restaurant : location, quietness, hospitality (the owner is so a kind woman, who calls you back in order to confirm your reservation and asks you about everything you need, vegan or allergies), the food was cooked with taste and refinement. We were absolutely convinced, except perhaps by the dessert but it is so a detail. I live in France and I thought : I didn't eat such a good vegan meal (because you can eat perfectly vegan at Vegelangelo !) in a restaurant, even in Paris. Congratulations !

Pros: location, hospitality, the food is great
tsap
tsap

Enchanting

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Vegelangelo in November. The restaurant is small and very well done. It is an interesting place in that it seems to be a true one woman show. The owner does it all. The food was fresh and superbly prepared. Reservations are a must. Although there were tables open, we saw guests turned away who did not have a reservation. Plenty of vegan options. The bathroom must be visited!

hack_man
hack_man

A Once Magical Restaurant

4 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2011

Beautiful place; cosy, warm, friendly as well as fantastic food. The meals are in the league of gourmet quality with lots of vegan choice. There is a friendly orange glow throughout the whole place. We were the last people to arrive one October Saturday evening in 2008 at 10pm and stayed well past midnight with no indication they wanted us to leave. There was another couple in before us who were still there when we left. The owner also stopped by for a chat and was fascinated when she found out we had come especially from England due to Happy Cow. The toilets are really nice with unique touches. Overall, an excellent vegetarian establishment and once a very close contender for my top 10 of all time. After visiting again, however, in October 2011 we were disappointed to be turned away at 22:15 on a Satuday evening and were advised to book no later than 20:00 for midweek dining. This needs to be updated on their business cards and website.

Pros: cosy, food, staff
Cons: little pricey, expensive wine, closes early
Chartchecker
Chartchecker

Best veggie restaurant in Munich!

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2011

Excellent gourmet vegetarian food. We ate there twice while in Munich on vacation....it was so good the first time we had to go back.  The owner/chef was such a gracious host.  She speaks English very well for the german lingo challenged.  Be sure to call for reservations as there are limited tables and we saw a few people turned away while we were dining.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service with personal attention, great for foodies
dugeldo
dugeldo

Vegetarian in Munich

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2010

If you are a vegetarian and you are in Munich, you must eat at Vegelangelo. We ate there twice, once without a reservation, and loved it both times. Excellent food, peaceful dining.

hippublican
hippublican

Lovely!

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

My girlfriend and I checked this place out on my last night in Germany. Neither of us were very hungry unfortunately, but it was my last chance to eat here so we went anyways.
We split a miso soup and the vegan schnitzel and both were amazing.
We sat outside, which was nice, but the inside looked beautiful from what I saw.
Everything was perfect.

Pros: nice selection, delicious
Cons: pricey
ieatmodestmouse
ieatmodestmouse

excellent!

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

was just at this restaurant may 2010. ordered the vegan soy schnitzel with mashed potatoes and veggies. delicious!! everything was amazing.

Pros: good food, good decor, friendly
Cons: odd hours, owner does everything so it can be slow
Beckle
Beckle

Absolutely devine

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

My partner and I ate here in October 2009 and it was beautiful. Service was fantastic, owner very friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and beautifully decorated. Think soft earthy orange tones, candle light, buddha and animal ornaments. I am vegan and loved the food. We had three courses and loved each one of them. Great, wholesome, tasty food. Thank you for a lovely evening.

Pros: healthy food, great value, fantastic service
pattyken
pattyken

Great food!

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2009

My husband and I ate there Saturday night. Great little restaurant and fantastic food. It's not easy finding vegetarian food in Germany so we were thrilled to find this hidden gem. Thanks Iris and we'll see you again soon.

Pros: great food, great service, great location
Cons: none
jdwalker
jdwalker

lovely, elegant vegetarian

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2009

The reviews of Vegelangelo do a great job of singing its praises -- my partner and I went there on a recent trip to Munich and had a wonderful experience.

The food was delicious, as others have said. The restaurant also has a very quiet, elegant atmosphere inside, where we sat. (We had the option of sitting outdoors, but the traffic on the Munich ring road put us off.) Finally there's a smallish but well-chosen wine list. Our bill for appetizers, mains, and two glasses of wine was around 40 Euro.

Overall a good choice for a slightly more upscale vegetarian meal in Munich!

Pros: good ambience, excellently spiced food
Cons: on a busy road
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Definitely fine dining!

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2009

The reviews below are right on the money. Great atmosphere and wonderful owner. There is an English menu, but get both so you can tell what can be veganized. I went with the Stew and it was HUGE & wonderful. She uses lots of great spices. Really well located, easy walk from our hotel & the main area in Munich.

Pros: fine dining, funky decor
stegh
stegh

Great little place

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2009

Delicious food (specials gazpacho and "spring Action" were our table favorites) and good prices. Food was fresh made so not fast, but certainly worth the wait. Staff was very friendly and conscientious-- very aware of vegan choices and careful to alert us to ghee! Lovely atmosphere but small staff, so if you are a big group or in a hurry be sure to call ahead so that they can be ready.

maplebutter
maplebutter

Great Soy Schnitzel

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2009

I highly recommend Vegelangelo! I took my husband and in-laws, who are not vegetarians, to this restaurant and they adored it. The food was amazing - we got a pasta dish, risotto, pancake plate and the soy schnitzel, and all were amazing (my first schnitzel in Munich!). Get the small salad before the meal-it is not on the menu, but the owner will gladly make it for you and it is a great array of fresh vegetables. The restaurant is romantic, quiet and cozily decorated.

thelevins
thelevins

Best vegetarian restaurant in Europe

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2008

We ate three times at Vegelangelo during our recent trip to Munich, once for lunch (we ate outside) and twice for dinner. These were probably the best vegetarian meals we have ever eaten (and we are from New York City, where we have eaten at many vegetarian restaurants).

The owner/chef Iris is wonderful and will talk with you if she has time (she speaks excellent English). Her vegetarian versions of traditional Bavarian/Austrian dishes are amazing, especially the sauerkraut and cheese dumplings. My wife said it was the best sauerkraut dish she has ever eaten (and she is from Poland, so she knows from cabbage).

The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated, very restful and tranquil. Even the restrooms were like tiny art galleries, with free lotions and colognes.

Vegelangelo is on the southside of the Thomas Wimmer Ring, just across from the Altstadt and near the Viktualienmarkt. You have to go there.

Pros: excellent food, large portions, wonderul owner/chefs
Marco
Marco
  • non-vegetarian

Masterful

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2007

A small (12 seats) very cosy place with a sunny spiritual decoration. There is a standard menu, with mainly pasta-based dishes and a week menu, from which we ordered the purple rice. A feast for eye, tongue and tummy. I liked particularly liked dessert: chocolate mousse with a hint of pepper. Wicked! If you ask for it, the meals can be completely vegan. The proprietor, a nice German lady, has to leave this location by September and is looking for a new place. Check out the website. She shurely deserves one!

Pros: Gourmet food, Great decoration
Red Sonya
Red Sonya

Vegelangelo - truly something special in Munich

5 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2007

For my money Vegangelo offers the best dining experience in Munich. The decor is sumptuous and romantic with original paintings on the wall and lots of lovely little touches. Going to the loo is even a delightful experience with funky decor, beaded curtains and a variety of hand washes, creams and even hair products to use!

The food itself is delicious. The main theme I would say is Italian (lasagne, pasta) with some eastern influences (sushi, lemongrass soup) but using fresh, local produce like steinpilze (wild mushrooms). The portions are generous and elegantly presented by Iris, the owner, whose attentive service is faultless. Overall a really memorable dining experience where every little detail seems to have been thought of - perfect for that romantic meal for two. If you are in Munich go there, in fact you should consider going to Munich anyway just to check this place out!

Pros: Delicious food, Lovely ambiance, Excellent service

Dear Owner and Manager of Vegelangelo: