Colorfully decorated vegetarian restaurant offering dishes like tamales, vegan burger, and plaintain. Beverages include organic coffee, herbal teas, and probiotic drinks. Has an attached pottery studio. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Afro Caribbean, Western

• Cash only

First Review by zebsu
VegRants
VegRants

One of the best veggie burgers I've ever had

Posted on 03 / 07 / 2014

I ate at this place twice while in Banos and it was delicious both times. The restaurant has their own organic garden where most of the vegetables used in the salads, etc. are grown. The vegan burger is massive (enough to feed 2) and is delicious. I got it with the salad which was incredible- mixed greens, coconut, herbs, veggies and edible flowers. The fried plantains were good as well but the vegan burger was the real star. Also, the fresh juice combinations are amazing.

Pros: delicious!!!
Cons: a bit pricy
choogirl
choogirl

Awesome food

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

I spent a week in Banos and came here several times. The vegan burger is awesome and comes with homemade chips or salad. Their salad is not your usual lettuce/ tomato/ cucumber combo though. It has a good mix of greens, nuts, carrots, some flower looking things, coconut and probably some other ingredients I'm forgetting. It's really good and a meal in itself. The other meal I had was this salad and fried plantains, which were very tasty. Unfortunately there were no tomales since the guy's wife makes them and she was away :(

The meals take a while to come out so arrive before you are starving. But don't let this put you off going, they are worth the wait.

Based on the previous reviews, I tried the 7 spices coffee and it was as amazing as it sounds. Listen to the happycow reviewers and get one. You won't regret it.

Pros: Excellent food, 7 spices coffee, Relaxed staff/ atmosphere
Cons: Service can be a little slow
browley19
browley19

EAT HERE!!!! ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!! :D

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2012

While traveling through Ecuador, I stopped for longer than I anticipated in Banos and stumble upon a hidden cafe called Sativa Studio Cafe. They grow most of their ingredients and aside from the beautiful atmosphere of the cafe, right next to the cloud forest, the incredibly friendly husband and wife who own and run it, the food was absolutely to die for! I must admit I went every single day once I found this cafe and even twice on a couple of occasions! Their veggie burger is so fresh and delicious and accompanied with the fresh salad with all kinds of veggies and petals, there's nothing not to adore! You MUST MUST MUST (and I can't stress this enough) try the 7 Spices Coffee! It was unlike any coffee I have ever tasted in my entire life! I will never feel the same way about coffee again :) Overall, I can absolutely say that I would recommend this cafe to anyone (and have done so) without thinking twice about it. Sativa is by far my favorite cafe in Ecuador and I spent enough time to try quite a few different places....Trust me on this one, you will not be disappointed!

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Fresh
Cons: None, None, None

zebsu
zebsu

Sativa offers amazing vegan food!

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

So, I ended up going here because someone had posted the basic information on Happy Cow. I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. The owners are from NY/Dominican Republic, and are fluent in English and Spanish. They care a lot about the food they prepare, and offer 3 main dished: (1) homemade vegan tamale w/ organic salad; (2) vegan lentil/veggie burger w/ organic salad (BE SURE to ask that the burger NOT be cooked with butter); (3) patacones w/ salad.

I had both the veggie burger dish (twice actually!) and the tamale, and both were absolutely delicious, and under $3 per plat. The green salad was great too!

Lastly, they have a pretty phenomenal drink menu, and offer 3 homemade (and all delicious!) fermented probiotic drinks.

Here is one of the (w/ ingredients): The Zion Elixir: Ginger, raisins, cloves, cinnamon, lemon verbena, rosemary, and coffee fermented in natural spring water, kefir grains, and air.

They also have a Berry Grape Guarapo (grapes and berries crushed and fermented in spring water, kefir grains, and air), which tasted a bit like wine, and have a fairly high alcohol content. It was delicious.

At any rate, I highly recommend this place. It is a small, cute, and comfortable space covered with murals, and they even have an indoor fireplace for the evenings.

Also, most of the materials in the restaurant are from recycled items (the floor tile is from an old church that was throwing away tons of tile, the roof is all recycled materials, etc.).

Definitely check this place out, if you are in Banos...and just let the owners know that you are vegan, so that they don't use any butter and that you don't eat the desserts (non of the desserts, unfortunately, are vegan). :)

Pros: inexpensive vegan food!, kombucha/probiotic drinks, organic homegrown salad greens
Cons: closed on Sunday

Dear Owner and Manager of Sativa Studio Cafe: