Saras, whose name stems from Sanskrit meaning "with juice," offers an extensive menu that encompasses 200+ dishes ranging from a cross-selection of Indian regional delicacies including Indian-Chinese and Thai vegetarian food. It's quick service style with wi-fi. Has another outlet in Bangkok. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Thai, Juice bar, Fast food, Delivery, Catering

matimatik
matimatik

Very good and expensive

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2014

I love this place, it's the best Indian one I visited here in Pattaya. They have asterisks in the menu that say "Jaine food is available on request" ("Jaine" is approximately Indian for "vegan", read wikipedia for more info) and you can always ask the waiter that you want all of your food "Jaine" and they'll recommend you what to order and you'll probably be sure that nothing contains milk/butter/cheese/eggs. In practically any other Indian place (outside India itself, I've never been there yet), you almost never can be sure about butter (some places I'd known used it for just everything, making them the most useless type of "vegetarian" places sometimes).

One relatively bad thing is that there are not much of English words in the menu and not much pictures (check the pictures), but if you know thing or two about Indian food (like, know the difference between pulao and biryani :) ) you'll not get completely lost — they all at least are typed in latin script.

I always eat yellow dahl and something with rice (like veg. pulao, or just plain rice and some veggies) and some naans, everything always was fresh and hot and am always satisfied. Service was quick too, staff was every friendly.

Another bad thing is the prices. They really are expensive (guess it's the location). For example, plain rice costs 90 baht! (~$3, street price for plain rice is usually 10-20 baht, even in places with overpriced beer). The smallest naan costs 30 baht but you usually need two of them. I almost never left the place without paying, like 900-1400 baht for a modest dinner (two persons) and apart from the popular location they are not that fancy. So most of the times, I prefer Thai place instead (usually the one which is semi-J, while its location is worse, it's cheaper and feels better).

On the other hand, location makes them easy to reach even if don't know anything about Pattaya, every taxi driver/guide/local can tell you where Royal Garden Plaza (or Ripley's) is. Recommend this place for those who just arrived and is very hungry while having no time to walk and search for other places (and still have money :) ).

Pros: Very tasty Indian food, Has sort of vegan labeling, Friendly staff
Cons: Very expensive, I mean very
Kelly Kelly
Kelly Kelly

Ups and Downs

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2014

Here is a mixed review for you all.

First of all the location. In a way both locations listed might be right because it is in a mall that reaches all the way from beach road to 2nd road that is why the confusion.
Your best bet find the Ripley's Belive it Or Not and go to the next floor above it (3rd)
Edit > nope when I looked again I see that the beach road directions are way off. The marker is way to far north. The mall is south of Soi 13. If you are looking along the 2nd road side just look for the tail end of an airplane crashed into a building. go through the doors below the plane.

Ups
Lovely location > the balcony looks out over the ocean but high enough up to be away from the hustle and bustle at street level.
Clean
The samosas are up there with best I have ever had with two superb dipping sauces! And only 20 baht each ($0.66 USA) I would go back just to have a samosa feast!

Downs
I tried to find out if the veggie burger came with a whole grain bun. Couldn't understand what the not so friendly waiter was talking about in his answer but thought I would risk > mistake!

One of my pet peeves is these restaurants that put a veggie burger on their menu but have no consciousness of the fact that most vegetarians eat healthy and have zero interest in white flour. So they do not offer a healthy whole grain bun. Many a time I have eaten a veggie burger on a couple of slices of wheat bread if the place has even that.

Well Sara's in another one of those places. A big thick doughy white bun. I had a couple of bits and the bun dominated the taste. So I through away the bun so I could eat the thin little burger inside. Oh my god it was disgusting. I have been know to eat some crappy stuff rather than waste food but it this case I left what was left uneaten on my plate.

That was all I had from the menu > so one big highlight and one big failure. So I cannot speak for the rest of the menu.

Another down was the prices, they are all over the map from inexpensive like the samosas to crazy high North American prices, but we are here in Thailand.

No one asked how anything was, the food was dropped off and then they disappeared. (No water offered). That was the last I saw of them until I finally went to the front desk to find some one to pay so I could leave.

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 02, 2014

Pros: Fantastic Samosas!!!
Cons: Terrible veggie burger, Wait staff dropped food and disappeared, Prices are inconsistent.
DaveBrown
DaveBrown

Saras Royal Garden Plaza

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by how vast its menu is, I've been there several times and will continue to eat there, the menu has no picture images which doesn't help the new customers especially non english speakers / readers, but the quality of the food is excellent, prices are very moderate, I recommend the marsala dosa, yum! I'm still working my way through the menu

Pros: Great Location , Vast Menu, Great Tastes
Cons: Menu Images Missing
  • DaveBrown DaveBrown

Sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with saras,but your suggestion that a regular commentator on happy cow and trip advisor is just plain wrong. The truth is Saras is a very good vegetarian restaurant and I think I'm qualified to say that all items I eat there are Always Fresh I eat there 3 to 4 times a week... The vast majority of customers there are Indians... That should give you hint.
    Anyway your free to your opinion
    Dave Brown pattaya

• freshveg freshveg

Vast menu is a problem, not a plus. I came to this restaurant at lunch time and there were 0 customers. Now, how is it possible to have a vast menu, few customers and still cook fresh? It is simply impossible and the owner was evasive when I asked him about freshness. So Dave, why you writing such nonsensical reviews? Are you paid to do this?

mrrfrost
mrrfrost

Tasty Indian And Asian Food

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

The restaurant says it's fast food but they have waiter service. It just looks a bit like a cafeteria

There is a huge menu of mostly Indian vegetarian dishes but also with a reasonable selection of Chinese and Thai food.

We had a mutter paneer and the malati malai dishes. Both had too much sauce compared to the contents but both very tasty. The kashmiri naan was crisp and the mixed veg kebab dish has large chunks of paneer and other veg. There are many dishes I have never heard of so it was fun trying a few. To finish I had the Masala Pepsi to drink which was unusual and distinctive!

Currently the location is incorrect on the map and is on Pattaya 2nd Road in the Sun City building.

Prices are reasonable, most dishes around 150-200 Baht. The restaurant was quite empty when I visited on a Saturday evening

Pros: Vast Menu, Quick.service
Cons: Lack Of Ambience, Too Saucy!
reissausta ja ruokaa
reissausta ja ruokaa

good south indian

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2013

In the Happy Cow map this restaurant isn´t exately on the right location, because Sara´s it´s in the Pattaya 2nd Road, not that close to beach at the map indicates.

This was more expensive than 5 Star Jay or Kitchen Jay, but if you want to have south indian food it is a great place to have it.

I had a masala dosa (I had to ask it with no butter) and got a very big one. I also ordered a mango juice and got a freshly blended one made of fresh mangoes (no Maaza!).

Pros: big dosas, fresh mango juice
Cons: a bit expensive
Browndog
Browndog

A regular spot

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

This is one of my favorite hang outs in Pattaya. Great Indian veg*n food at reasonale cost.

Dear Owner and Manager of Saras - Pattaya:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Pattaya page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/10/20