Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is vegan except for fish. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Macrobiotic, French, Non-veg
18 rue Cardinal Lemoine (nearest Metro: Cardinal Lemoine)
Paris, France 75005

Open Mon-Sat 12-10pm, closed Sun.

First Review by terryodell
AnnFromIllinois
AnnFromIllinois

Like eating in grandma's kitchen.

3 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

The dining room here is part pantry, part store. Small and homey. The food is served rather unseasoned, but there is an assortment of seasonings on the table and the waitress happily makes recommendations. Don't go here for classy restaurant food, go instead for some good comfort food.

Pros: Nice service, Large portions
Cons: Cluttered atmosphere (pantry shelves)
REMF
REMF

healthy feeling, generously portioned food

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

My husband and I ate here last Saturday (29th July, 2013). What I ate quite old style, rather 'worthy'/healthy vegetarian food, but nonetheless good. I started with gazpacho, which was absolutely delicious, and was served with lovely brown bread. To follow I had vegetable couscous, which contained some kind of meat-free sausage. I am not sure if it was tofu or seitan. It was satisfying and very filling, if not terribly sophisticated. To be honest, I wouldn't serve such a thing to guests, were I having people round for dinner. But that's kind of beside the point. It is always a relief to have something besides pizza and omelette when in France!

wyrd
wyrd

A quiet Saturday evening

4 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

I ate at Le Puits de Legumes last Saturday. I was with 5 non-vegetarian friends and we thought that a veg-friendly restaurant could be a good choice.
We all got a menu (20 euros for a starter, a main dish and a dessert) and everyone ended up eating vegetarian, as the fish options were outside the menus (they could have been chosen a la carte).
Starters: salads are rich and full of nice vegetables in addition to the main ingredient (that could be either cheese or avocado), and soups are tasty.
Main dishes: the tempeh ragout was really nice, and the tofu with curry and lemon was also good (more lemon than curry, actually).
Desserts: the chocolate cake also contained chestnut, and the apple pie looked good but I didn't taste it.

Overall, we spent a nice and quiet evening, the staff was really friendly, and we didn't even have to book it in advance.

Pros: Generous portions, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff

Shohreh
Shohreh
  • non-vegetarian

A bit bland but OK

3 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

I went to Le puit de légumes recently. The place looks nice and the owner/cook/waitress is warm.

As I'm not a vegetarian and only occasionally eat in veg restaurants, I can only compare with the few I ate at.

Overall, I found the food good, although like the others said, it's bland (no salt at all, which is good if you have hypertension), hence the seasonings available on each table. I liked the Japanese squash soup (potimarron) and the cheese-less... cheesecake.

It's not the best vegetarian place in Paris (at this point, it would be Soya in the 10th), but it was a good meal.

froekenlisa
froekenlisa

Comforting menu

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

I went to Le Puit de Legumes for lunch today. I was rather boring and chose the "Zen" menu. Instead of miso soup I had green tea. I am not very fond of broth, that is why I decided against it. Autumn has settled in Paris and it has grown cold, so a hot drink (an entire pot, not just a small cup!) was perfectly fitting.
As for the maincourse I got a big plate full of seasonal yumminess. On top there was a huge piece of hot tofu rosso (dried tomatoes, basil) accompanied by brown rice, lentils, steamed veggies (carrots, fennel, leek, kohlrabi) and loads of raw stuff such as red and white cabbage, carrots, lettuce, beets. I am quite acquainted with Parisian vegan food and I have to say that I enjoyed the seasonal, colourful dish A LOT. Except for the tofu nothing was seasoned but I approved this as I could put nutritional yeast, shoyu, gomasio to my heart's desire. To me, that was very clever, so everyone can adjust his/ her own taste. Perfect. For desert I had hot apple compote which was awesome as it was steaming hot. Again, you were the one to season it, so I left the sugar out and only put a bit of cinnamon on top. Delicious.
I counted, the place is rather small and has tables for thirty people. The atmosphere is friendly and warm, almost cosy, so I sat there reading and enjoying my tea and being super full. All for 14€ which again is a Parisian bargain, especially for the yumminess and freshness of the food.
I will definitely go there again to try other dishes as well :)

Pros: hearty comforting food, seasonal, organic
Jah
Jah

I'm an unhappy cow in Paris

1 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Ate in this restaurant tonight and was very dissapointed. My tofu curry was extremely bland and my partner's fish equally tasteless. We were both served the same selection of overcooked vegetables. The waitress was very nice, but overall I would not recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Clean., Decor.
Cons: Food.
northerner
northerner

best meal in Paris

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

On a rainy day in January, I found this restaurant for a late lunch. It's small and might have felt cramped if all the seats had been taken, but the close quarters added to the sense of being in a family kitchen. A smiling woman seemed to fill the jobs of owner, server and cook, and was still not too busy to joke with customers and answer questions. The large array of choices was listed on a board on the wall. Salads seem to be a speciality, but I wanted something warm and ordered potage aux legumes (vegetable soup) and vegetarian couscous. The soup was thick and the flavor was vegetables in general rather than one in particular. Each spoonful was a pleasure--luckily the portions are quite generous.

I've eaten the vegetarian couscous at the Raspail organic farmers market, and this was similar. The vegetables were perfectly cooked and the wholewheat (I think) couscous was not lumpy and reheated.

Two students at the next table ordered the salads of the day, and after some trepidation about creating their own dressing from the tray of ingredients on the table, they seemed to enjoy trying various combinations. They finished by swabbing their plates with the wholewheat bread that comes with every meal and agreeing that it had been delicious.

Two women across the room bought chocolate cake to go after finishing two big portions for dessert. The atmosphere in the little space was relaxed and friendly. The encounters between the owner and what looked like neighborhood regulars were warm and low-key. It was fun to watch Parisian life go by: a window washer efficiently doing his job, the owner's son coming home from school, a table of local business owners gathering for a late lunch.

The prices were reasonable considering the portion size and the quality of the food and cooking. Wine was available and so was a free carafe of water. Although I had fancier and more expensive meals during my stay in Paris, this one was my favorite: a perfectly satisfying lunch.

Pros: delicious food, good value, pleasant atmoshpere
Santa Fe Davy
Santa Fe Davy

One of the few decent veg options in Paris

3 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2011

The good news is that Le Puits de Legumes is now all vegetarian - not just vegetarian friendly - which is not that easy to find in Paris. The main dish I had was a tofu cake on a salad which contained an amazing variety of vegetables. The vegetables were fresh and delicious but with little seasoning. Each table has a multitude of bottles of oils and spices (in their original store containers), so apparently they expect you to take care of this yourself. I can see the good sense in this, but I would prefer a chef who would be willing to take on this task herself and maybe show me something I can't do at home. One of the desserts was an apple cobbler which came in various flavors - cinnamon, vanilla, ginger. I ordered ginger and got a very decent but unseasoned cobbler along with a plastic supermarket container of ginger, which had obviously been around awhile. The service was bizarre but adequate. I would recommend that you try this place out if only because the vegetarian options in Paris are so few.

Daniel_S
Daniel_S

Loved it !

4 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2010

I just got back from eating at Le Puits de Légumes and it was excellent. I had an awesome vegan dish which the waitress specifically identified for me as végétalien. I also had a great apple crumble for dessert. I can't wait to go back !

Pros: cozy, friendly, great food
wellread
wellread

tasty & generous

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2009

I ate there for the first time last night with my partner. The waitress that served us was very pleasant and spoke English. I told her we were vegan and she pointed all the appropriate choices on the daily menu board and the normal menu. I chose the pumpkin soup as starter and my husband had the avocado grapefruit salad. Both were good. For mains we had the two vegan options on the daily menu, a seitan tagine and also a sauerkraut & veggie sausage dish. Both were accompanied by huge portions of brown rice, azuki beans, and steamed vegetables. The side dishes were relatively bland but on each table was a tray of seasonings such as olive oil, vinegar, tamari, etc. Also bread accompanied the meal. The two mains were very tasty. We were pretty full after these huge plates, but the waitress wanted to bring us a dessert, on the house, so we split a pear tart which was delicious. We didn't have drinks, just water. The bill was €32 for two. I would go back.

Pros: vegan options easy to find, healthy cuisine, friendly
Cons: out of the way
terryodell
terryodell

An oasis of good food

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2009

This family run bistro in the Latin Quarter of Paris was a life-saver. Just when we thought we would die from a surfit of crepes, up pops this gem. Whole foods, macro, fresh, homely and personable. We felt like we were part of the family by the time we'd finished our meal. Everything looked pretty new so I guess they've not been around long. I just hope they make it. They deserve to. Oh, and they do do some fish dishes - like salmon. They also sell the organic raw materials if you are self-catering. Try it. We thought it was smashing.Going back there next time? Certainly are.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine

Dear Owner and Manager of Le Puit de Legumes: