Offers a variety of dishes made in-house using fresh vegetable, herbs, and spices. Daily menu specials, burgers, selection of lemonade, juices, cookies, beer and wine. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Take-out
Jungbuschstrasse 23
Mannheim, Germany 68159
+49-0621-43737061

Open Tue-Thur 11am-11pm, Fri 11pm-1am, Sat 5pm-1am.

• Cash only

First Review by Loreley
roosjeklap
roosjeklap

yummm

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

This place is just super recommendable. Happy and cozy atmosphere, fab food, nice waiters — and great drinks as well (FritzCola, Pause Helden, and weird little cocktails with cucumber/lime/vodka/gin called Seegurken)!

Pros: great food and drinks, easy with kids, anti fascist
Cons: daily special ran out quickly (too nice)
Editor
Editor

Great place for a dressed-down evening out

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

We went to Kombüse last Saturday (July 2014) - actually due to the good recommendations on Happy Cow! - and we were not disappointed. It was really, really crowded, and we were told it's always like that, especially on a Saturday. The atmosphere is very relaxed, it seemed to be a student place or at least a place where people certainly don't dress up! (The area is very run-down anyway, with beggars and drinking people in the street, but if you don't mind that, then you should be ok). Everything on the menu is or can be made vegan. The Quesadila is actually just Tortillas with (vegan) cheese inside, but good for a starter, and so is the salad. As mains, we had the falafel and the bean burger, and both were good and sufficient. We had "Bratkartoffeln" (potatoes) as side; I would have added a bit of vegan mayo, but this might be my personal taste. We did not try the vegan cakes, but they looked delicious. The prices are not too expensive, and the staff were friendly (even though they were really busy). So if you expect a fancy evening out in a nice restaurant, this is not the right place, but if you just want good vegetarian / vegan food and are prepared to share you table with strangers, you will like it.

Pros: Everything can be made vegan., Not so expensive.
Cons: Area not nice., Can be really crowded.
Aiyasai
Aiyasai

Best place to eat vegan in Mannheim

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

FOOD

Kombüse has a rather small regular menu plus some dishes written on a chalk board that change every day. The regular main dishes are a falafel plate and the black bean burger plate. Since you can have falafel in other places I ordered the black bean burger plate. The burger itself was not so good, in my opinion. But we also had the quesadillas and they were so delicious!!! For every meal there is a vegan option, so you can have vegan cheese or cow cheese on your burger or quesadilla. The vegan cheese was great! So I guess the food is 5 stars, I was just unlucky that the bean burger was not my taste. Although, I wish they had a few more options for main dishes. The prices of Kombüse are very good. I haven't been there for lunch, yet, but they have a lot of different, cheap sandwiches. We just had dinner there but I can imagine it's a great place to have a few drinks, as well!
*edit: Kombüse is now my favourite place to eat in Mannheim! The prices are really good, the portion size big and the food delicious! I tried a lot of the menu and it is all very delicious :) I also love ordering the daily special! You should check out their facebook page, they always write funny descriptions of them.

LOCATION

Kombüse is a cozy restaurant and the customers are mostly students, so it is not a high class restaurant. It is located in Jungbusch. There are outside seats as well as a lot of seats inside.

STAFF

The staff is okay. The owners are very friendly, some of the waitresses not so much, but it's okay.

Overall I can recommend anyone to go to Kombüse!

Updated from previous review on Thursday March 06, 2014

Pros: VEGAN options for every dish!!!, good prices, big portions, delicious and nice atmosphere
Cons: few options, but that's not really a con

Arif
Arif

Pleasant ambience, friendly staff, promising menu

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

After hearing about Kombüse from friends for nearly two years, I finally got to try it myself. It's a very pleasant atmosphere but with limited seating, so it can fill up quickly. One sees the efforts of the kitchen to be creative within the scope of a rather narrow food offering, and while many of those efforts are promising, some fall short. I ordered the soup of the day, potato-eggplant, and the special plate of the day, creole-style braised vegetables with potato-spinach cakes. The soup had a really delicious and delicate flavor (which inspired me to try making it at home sometime) which was unfortunately overpowered by way too much chili. The creole vegetables were quite good, except for being a bit too heavily weighted with paprika, but still in search of exquisiteness. Unfortunately, the sauce also contained seitan, which I can't eat. They could have written that on the specials board and I would have ordered something else (which I told them), and they probably would have taken it back if I had asked, but since it was there, I elected to pick out the seitan and eat the dish anyway, which I don't regret. The potato-spinach cakes, however, were unremarkable. On the plus side though, my meal was served piping hot. My companion had the black-bean burger with everything and was quite pleased. I tried the burger and found it interesting, but again, not execptional. The salad and potatoes which can be ordered as side dishes were both tasty, in particular the salad dressing, and the portions were both generous.

Updated from previous review on Sunday August 25, 2013

Pros: friendly staff, fair prices, interesting menu
Cons: some menu items need work, gluten-containing specials not disclosed, no decaf capuccino
FrankHpunto
FrankHpunto

Cool veggie restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

The Kombüse is a great place to have lunch, to have dinner, or to just have a beer.
Located in the Jungbusch, it is not a place for the high society, but definitively a hip restaurant.
The meals are prepared in a lovely manner and taste great.

Tara HD
Tara HD

Mediocre

3 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

Unfortunately, this is yet another place in the Rhein-Neckar region that I can't get very excited about. When I arrived for lunch the outdoor area smelled like a place where alcoholics are hanging out. I chose a seat inside which was fine - the place actually looks quite nice and the owner who serves the food is just lovely. The food was OK but nothing special. It's much better value than the vegatarian buffet restaurants in the area though. Since I live in the area I'd rather cook at home but would still recommend it for vegetarian/vegan travellers who can't always have a home-cooked meal.

Pros: nice service, fair prices
Cons: not the nicest atmosphere
Loreley
Loreley

Great place for eating and drinking!

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2012

Although it's calling itself a vegetarian restaurant the Kombüse is practically a vegan restaurant which also offers vegetarian options for those who might still be a little skeptical about soy-yoghurt, vegan chesse and these things. It has changing specials of the day, which are most often innovative and delicious. The same holds true for the regular menue, which among other things includes black-bean burgers and wraps with different fillings. The owners are really nice guys, and the atmosphere is relaxed, laid-back and a bit " alternative". I love the unmatching plates, which make you feel like you're eating at a friend's, rather than at a restaurant. The Kombüse is in a great neighboorhod, which adds up to its appeal. Prices for food and drinks are more than reasonable, making it a great place also for students who want to eat out from time to time.

Pros: tasty food, vegan with vegetarian options, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Kombuse: