First Review by erninu

some zunzi's love from a vegan staff worker : ) - Edit

I'm vegan and also work at Z2 (the restaurant version of Zunzi's that just opened up). If your complaint about the original zunzi's was the environment--be sure to check out the restaurant just a few blocks down on Drayton and Bay street (also the original Zunzi's was just bought out by the owner of 5 guys who wants to franchise the place so if you want to support the actual owners, definitely go to Z2).

While there aren't many options available, the few they have are pretty good. Always specify vegan with whoever's waiting on you--almost everyone I've worked with at Z2 is very accommodating and helpful--as is the kitchen staff, who'll take precautions to keep meat and dairy away from your order as they're preparing it.

My favorite meal here is definitely the mushroom sub without cheese--and I recommend ordering it as a wrap on pita.. for whatever reason the pita absorbs the flavors a lot better and tastes phenomenal.

The veggie curry on rice (mash has butter in it) with any of the sides (ask for no feta on the spinach salad) is also a good go-to. We offer a vegan-friendly balsamic dressing.

The felafel is also exceptional. Ask for no yoghurt sauce and a side of hummus instead and you got yourself a bang-ass wrap : )

Great Vegan Falafel Salad - Edit

As a vegan, I have a tough time traveling. I was pleased to find Zunzi's on my vacation. They were polite and helpful when I asked about vegan options. They then made me a delicious salad with baked falafel balls, sides of hummus, and oil and vinegar dressing. It was delicious :)

Pros: Delicious Food, Live Music/Fun Ambience, Polite/Accomodating Staff

Cons: Needs more Vegan Menu Options

Limited Options - Edit

Zunzi's is very popular, even with some vegans, but I'm not quite sure why. The menu is limited to start with, and only a few options are vegan. I had the felafel, but the sauce wasn't vegan so they gave me raw tahini instead, which was gross. It may be worth a second try, but if you're looking for a good, quick lunch downtown I'd head over to VegHeads instead.

Pros: Quick, Outdoor seating, Friendly

Cons: LONG lines at lunchtime, Very few options

In my top 3 restaurants in Savannah - Edit

I eat here so often! The falafel is my favorite, but the vegetable pita wrap is also really really good. You can eat outside (the only kind of seating they have) or take it to go. They are fast, friendly and the prices are very affordable. I really consider this one of the top best restaurants in Savannah!

Also, definitely try their African tea. It's Rooibos tea flavored with coconut and peach and is the most delicious drink you will ever have.

Pros: Excellent food, Generous portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Outdoor only seating

Not that great - Edit

Read some good reviews but didnt live up to expectations. Prep area was covered with meat and meat products. Server was helpful and seemed confident about what was vegan. I ordered veggie curry with rice, wasnt impressed. Just ok.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly, portion

Cons: Not very veg , Not that tasty, small

Worth a Try - Edit

I ended up at Zunzi's a couple of years ago with friends one weekend after we changed our minds about another place. When we first walked in, it didn't look very appetizing and was so small that we felt cramped. I was a bit nervous about ordering vegan from them but the guy working there was very friendly and actually pretty fun. A woman came out who I assume was the owner and she was very helpful and willing to make something special. I ended up with a pita stuffed with hummus and falafel and it was pretty good. The seating was outside in a quaint environment and pretty relaxing.

Pros: Friendly and Willing to work with you

Cons: Order area isn't pretty & feels cramped

Return to Savannah Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zunzi's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4535 times since Mar 2008.