Zula Vegetarian Paradise

• Vegetarian
Contact 732723

Jl Dhyana Pura 5, Seminyak, Bali, Indonesia,

Established in 2003, this vegetarian restaurant and health food shop is part of the Down to Earth company. Offers an international cuisines vegan food menu. A few of the baked goods might contain honey - vegans to inquire.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Juice bar, Asian, Indonesian

First Review by Dena

Big food variety - Edit

We love the meals in all restaurants from the Down to Earth group. Big variety and especially good when you don't want to eat raw vegan and/or indonesian.
The sandwiches are fantastic we love the burrito and don't miss out on the planet platter and the mediterranean platter, which are both fantastic.

Pros: mainly vegan dishes, very tasty, you can buy essential vegan stuff in the shop like

Cons: quite expensive, it's a pity that in the shop they sell animal prod, they charge you for plain water

Only go here for the mediterranian platter! - Edit

Resturant/shop trying to be fresh but only feels stale. Ate here afew times and must stay it's very overrated! Falafel with all the sides was good but expensive! Other food was bland to bad and we were only two people but still couldn't get our food served at the same time but only after one had finished... Would have scored lower if not for the falafel cause the strawberry pie was FAUL, VEIL AND HORRIBLE. ALSO SELLS FISH OIL AND SHARK OIL! hardly vegetarian....

Pros: falafel

Cons: Expensive, bad service, (very) bad food

Nice Place to Visit - Edit

This is exactly the same shop as Earth Shop down the street. Same merchandise, same foods, same everything. Just two different locations. Absolutely no reason to visit both.

Definitely more convenient for residents or guests with the means/desire to prepare food. Most of the goods are ingredients, but they do have a few snack-type items. A lot of trendy pseudo-science wares (essential oils, homeopathy, 'essences', etc.), but all in all a decent stop.

Great burgers - Edit

Came here in May 2015 and had two vegan burgers (veggie burger and chickpea burger) which sweet potato fries. Both burgers were really tasty and filled to the brim with delicious sauces. Highly recommended.

Also had a vegan brownie too, which was good. Very nice to get a non-raw vegan dessert here.

Health food shop great for picking up gifts and cards.

Pros: Great burgers, Nice ambience, Good health food shop

health food oasis in busy bali - Edit

Zula is a vegan's paradise. Highly recommend the dragon bowl, chocolate mousse cake and falafel wrap. They also have smoothies with cashew milk - a rare treat. It's higher on the price end than most places in bali but totally worth it.

So many choices and great food - Edit

As part of our VegVoyages trip we had a vegan group dinner at Zulu which was amazing. At the end of our 14 day trip several of us returned to Zulu for dinner and a late breakfast/early lunch before leaving Bali. The Jerusalem mix as a burrito was absolutely delicious. The mango lassi was so tasty. The regular burrito was very good also. The iced coffee is so good. We were so full, we couldn't have dessert on our second and third visit, but during our group dinner we had an amazing cheesecake. Definitely worth a visit when in Sanur!

Pros: really tasty food, clean and tidy, great desserts and iced coffee

lots of choices - Edit

We went to Zula's both as a VegVoyages tour group and a couple of times independently with only a few people as it was close to our hotel. The menu offers a wide variety of choices from Western to Eastern, breakfast to dinner. As a group, we got spring rolls, papaya salad, a tempeh rice plate, and cheesecake. Independently, we got the Jamaican seitan mix wrap, seitan schnitzel, tempeh tuna pita, burrito and much more. For drinks, a couple of us got the cashew milk mango lassi...yum! And most importantly, they make a fantastic iced coffee. Just wish more of the desserts were vegan. And the upstairs is cool with multiple fans.

Pros: lots of menu choices, good drinks, clean and friendly

Your the best, around! - Edit

OMG. My boyfriend and I walked past this place by accident on our first day in Seminyak. We decided to pop in for a juice. Then we decided to pop in for lunch. Then dinner. Then about 10 times after that. It is amazing. We are both vegan and were in heaven. The menu is so so big that it is impossible to choose. Everything we had was delicious. There is another store in this 'Down to Earth' chain further north in Seminyak called 'Earth' and one in Ubud called 'Down to Earth'. All super super delicious and yummy. My only criticism is that they use honey in a lot of their desserts, but so do other 'vegan' cafes in Bali. It is simply amazing we loved it. Super tasty and super healthy! Go there!

Pros: delicious, wide range, everything

Cons: use of honey, maybe desserts could be a bit better i, wish it was in adelaide

A Vegetarian's Dream! - Edit

See my full review here: http://www.recipris.com/2013/09/22/zula-vegetarian-paradise/

The food was tasteful, healthy, and made using pure, organic ingredients. The food didn’t feel heavy at all, which I love since we had a massage scheduled shortly afterwards. Even though the restaurant is called a “vegetarian paradise”, I am pretty sure it’s a vegan restaurant. My reasoning? They used soy milk instead of regular and tofu cream cheese instead of ordinary cream cheese. No complaints here! [Follow link above to see pictures and read entire review]

Great Place - Edit

A fantastic, cool setting to get out of the heat. So many well priced, well portioned tasty options. I have tried a lot on the menu during my couple of visits to Seminyak and no disappointments. The Middle Eastern Options are excellent. It is fortunate that they have a sister restaurant in Ubud also.

a must try! - Edit

I went to this place like twice a day when I stayed in Seminyak.. mostly for the healthy drinks like the lemon-aloe vera-ginger mix or other veggie juices. Refreshing!!
I also tried the lentil soup and gluten free samosas which also tasted good. They have extensive desserts and some gluten free bread... the chocolate cupcake with choco filling was kinda weird and heavy to me, maybe because it used raw choco + avocado. The zucchini pumpkin cake was really good I regretted I didn't buy more before I left Seminyak.
I bought Nuteresa dark chocolate spread, but it's not really good. I expected rich kind of bittee chocolate flavour, but I guess they put too much palm sugar in it. Need to improve the recipe..
All in all, I felt like in paradise when I found this reataurant due to some diet restrictions I have (no gluten/dairy, etc.).

Pros: Healthy, gluten free, dairy free options, extensive choice of menu, Nice ambience

Cons: Quite pricey, Waiters need training on product knowledge

Definitley a taste of paradise! - Edit

What a great cafe/restaurant to visit! Great atmosphere/nice vibe...Excellent service,great menu,but the proof is in the food! If they only gave me two words I would use them three times-TASTY TASTY TASTY FRESH FRESH FRESH!..Ok you might pay a bit more than your local bali style restaurant(actually not that much more unless you a stripping food down to just the basics)but you get more then what pay for (plus you know its vego!...and even if you werent vego you would be very impressed!)...a great ambassador for clean healthy soulful food...you will find me there tomorrow morning(yes again....)AAA+++

Pros: All Vegetarian/Wholesome/Tasty/Fresh, Great Service/Great Vibe-Atmosphere, Easy to find(air-con for those on the run)

Cons: none, none, none

Fresh, Delicious and cheap - Edit

What a great little find in Seminyak. If you're in Bali and looking for something fresh and healthy then Zula is your place. My partner and I went there multiple times. My favourite dish is definitely Planet Platter which is brown rice, pickled veggies, tempeh and loads of other amazing flavours. The nasi goreng was good however the seaweed in it had a pretty strong fishy taste which I wasn't overly excited about. There are fortunately loads of choices. If you feel like nachos or a sandwich or even some scrambled tofu, they've got it. My ultimate favourite of all has to be the dessert options in the fridge. Dangerously as the prices are so cheap, it is very easy to overindulge.. When in Bali...
If you're finding yourself trying to explain no egg, no dairy, no fish sauce everywhere you go, then head to Zula!

Pros: Cheap, Variety, Healthy

Cons: Not always consistent with meals, They often sell out of things

My favorite vegan cafe in Seminyak! - Edit

Similar to their DTE cafe in Ubud, and Earth cafe in Jalan Kunti. We visited around 4 times during our 6 nights in Seminyak, either for lunch, dinner, or just a smoothie.
The menu is extensive, with most options being vegan. From Indonesian to Mexican options available to everything in between. Breakfast options from granola fruit bowls, to scrambled tofu. The smoothies are excellent, as was all the food. The Tempeh curry being a favorite, as well as the planet platter. Great items to stock up on in the health food shop as well. If you're from Australia and missing your Bonsoy, you can pick up a carton from their shop.
Enjoy!

Pros: Great atmosphere and cafe, Friendly staff, Excellent food

Classic hippy vegan joint - Edit

Great healthy vegan food and smoothies in a comfortable setting. The downside for us was that food is not authentic indonesian food and is relatively expensive (we paid 270,000IDR for two people, where as at local indonesian warungs with vego options you would be paying more along the lines of 40,000)

Pros: Healthy clean food, Nice environment/setting, great smoothies

Cons: not authentic indonesian, expensive

Nice little organic restaurant - Edit

When I was in Seminyak I went to Zula many times, because everything seemed to be fresh and of good quality. I only tried their raw foods and most of their smoothies are good. I also liked their salads and the gazpacho soup. Their juices seemed to be a bit too watery though. I don't know if they streched them with water or it was because of the ice cubes. They also have some raw food snacks for take away. From the snack section I liked their falafel balls. Their raw chocolate balls in the fridge were not all raw though (only the chocolate was) and for my taste they seemed to be a bit too sticky and heavy to digest. I think they need to improve those recipes. Don't forget they add some tax & service charge to their prices listed on their menu... After that it's getting a bit expensive to eat there every day...

Pros: Clean raw food, Nice atmosphere, Free Wifi

Cons: inside very cold (AC), outside noise street, expensive

Yum food - Edit

I ate here in November 2012 and it was great. I got the 'almost perfect' burrito which was a generous portion size and tasted great. The physical size of the menu is really big and they do have a lot of different foods to choose from. They also sell health supplements, home wares etc. Definitely worth eating at.

Pros: healthy food, clean, happy atmosphere

The best in Bali! - Edit

We visited quite a lot of the restaurants in Bali which are listed on HappyCow and this was the best! All of the main dishes we tried were tasty and well balanced meals.
The best main dish: Falafels
Best dessert: Soy cashew custard with carob sauce mmmmmm There's also the Cheesecake with strawberry sauce!
Best drink: A tie between the Ginger float and Lemonvera

It may be considered "expensive" for Bali, however, I feel it is well priced for the quality of food that you get, visit here when you come to Bali!

Pros: Delicious food!, Healthy food!, Relaxing setting

Seriously good vegan cafe :) - Edit

One day I would like to own a cafe like this. It's fairly exemplary really!! Where to start? The menu I suppose......
The physical size of the menu is huge and runs over five pages with dishes from all over the world. I'm slowly making my way through them with my daily visits but it is going to take a while. The macrobiotic platters change daily shifting from curries, rice paper rolls, proteins etc in addition to rice, greens, seaweed, vegies and tea. The Mediterranean platters are rich, flavorful, filling and with fresh tabouli and salad. The falafels themselves are great and the matboucha has a smokey flavor to the tomatoes. A small plate with pita is more than enough for lunch.
The chickpea burger comes with a welcome tofu herbed spread which could remind you of mayo. The patty is tasty but the burger as a whole is a little tricky to eat due to all the fillings. Good luck not making a bit of a mess.
There are ample seitan meatballs with spaghetti but lacking a little on the pasta sauce for me. It's a tasty meal and very filling. Yesterday I got it takeaway and added chilli and basil leaves at home.
The rice paper rolls are served with a delicious peanut sauce. The samosas are moist, punching with flavor accompanied with good chutney.
The salads are super fresh and varied. I'd recommend them all. Baked tempeh is a great addition to most and the vinaigrette full bodied.
Their most popular salad is the dragon bowl. Thankfully it comes in 2 sizes as the large is simply massive in a very large bowl. Cold soba noodles, beetroot, daikon, carrot, sprouts, nori, lettuce.... And so it goes. The dressing is Asian inspired with a generous addition of sesame oil. Without doubt, their best value dish is the wee dragon bowl: a small dragon bowl, any soup of your choice, 2 slices of bread with hummus. I really struggle to finish it but it will set you up for the rest of the day.
There are desserts with all of their ingredients listed on the card, which is great. The cheesecake with strawberry sauce is a winner, as is the apple muesli pudding. I'm yet to try the raw choc mousse. There are also a number of small treats to have with coffee or takeaway.
The are only a couple of cons: The seitan pouch, is as dry as a desert and needs to be drowned in sauce. The 'almost perfect burrito' is far from it unfortunately. Bland and lacking any Mexican inspiration. Easily fixed and perhaps the breadth of the menu means that they don't reevaluate dishes often.
A wonderful cafe :)

Pros: Fresh healthy vegan food , Large portions, Great staff

Cons: Couple of dishes need a revamp, Moderate + prices for Bali

Zula Vegetarian - Edit

Everything we ate here was delicious and very good sized servings. Lots of vegan options, great atmosphere. Reasonably priced. Awesome vegan desserts.

Pros: lots of vegan options, delicious food, great atnosphere

Cons: none

If you like super healthy food, this is the place. - Edit

Good selection of vegan dishes from a variety of cuisines (Mediterranean platter, Indonesian, etc). Flavor is slightly bland but that is expected of super healthy vegan places. Price is great. Ate the raw stuff (papaya salad, etc) and didn't have any stomach problems.

Food gone bad - Edit

Unfortunately my sweet potato soup was contaminated in february 2010. I ate some of it and came to conclusion that a soup can not taste like this. It was cooked in the previous day. I got a new soup, a mushroom soup, which tasted awful. I just couldn't come back here. I hope others have not had this kind of experiences.

Pros: nice atmosphere, kinda easy to find

Cons: sweet potato soup had gone bad, mushroom soup was awful

Excellent - Edit

Zula does everything right, including not allowing smoking! Try their chickpea burger. It is filling and delicious, one of the best I have had. The menu is extensive, the service is pleasant, the ambience is positive and the experience is great. Go for it while in South bali.

Pros: Value, Quality

The best! - Edit

I LOved Zula!! A paradise for vegans and Vegetarians. Staff and food were AMAZING. Really healthy food. I would highly reccomend to anyone going to Bali. They also do cheap deliveries. Tofu cheesecake and soy cashew custard with carob topping are worth trying! Also have wi-fi

Awesome cuisine - Edit

The best food I had in Bali- the Middle Eastern platter had some astonishing tastes, including one of the best tahini's I've ever had. Reasonably priced, comfortable with an extensive world-foods menu. The wee dragon bowl salad was lucious including some delectable seaweed was more than enough. (There was a big one on offer, this was just a half portion- can't imagine finishing the full size.)

Pros: Macro-biotic, Organic, Delicious

Yum! - Edit

This is such an interesting menu for vegans. Especially exciting for me as a new zealander as we can't get alot of the ingredients and foods used in the menu in NZ at all!

Pros: Excellent food, good vibe, exciting menu

Cons: can be expensive

Hummous, sweet potato soup, falafal, brownies!! - Edit

Wow, this place has tons of options and all Vegan!!! the walnut brownies are great dipped in their Chai soy milk tea....the cheese cake was creamy..i loved their cruncy seed salad and the hummous and the tahini and the whole grain pita bread, and.......nice environment inside....come very hungry....and be chatty with the other patrons..many expats go there to eat too! enjoy!! you may spend more than you plan so be prepared to splurge in Bali!

Among the best vegetarian restaurants in Bali! - Edit

We enjoyed everything we ordered at this restaurant and a few items were simply amazing and quite original. Other than honey in a few of their baked goods, the restaurant is entirely vegan--this was a welcome change in Bali, where vegetarian food was relatively easy to find, but it was not quite as easy to find vegan food. It was reasonably priced and had a laidback, relaxed atmosphere. Any trip to the Kuta region of Bali would be incomplete without a meal at Zula.

Pros: all vegan (minus honey), good energy, creative food

Cons: honey in baked goods

Return to Bali Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zula Vegetarian Paradise closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7004 times since Aug 2007.