Zrno Bio Bistro

Contact +385-14847540

Meduliceva 20, Zagreb, Croatia, 10000

Certified organic vegan restaurant, opened Jun 2013 replacing the previous restaurant Nova. Meals are based on macrobiotic principles with vegetables sourced from its own organic farm as well as other local producers. Smoothies, shakes, teas, coffee and desserts available. English is spoken and on menu. Air-conditioned and non-smoking. Mon-Sat 12:00pm-9:30pm

Category: Vegan, Macrobiotic, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Bakery, Croatian

First Review by acht

Excellent Vegan Food in Zagreb - Edit

I ate at Zrno Bio Bistro during my stay in Zagreb. My meal was really delicous and the ambient as well as the staff is very nice.

All of their food comes from their own organic farm and is completely vegan.

Pros: Delicous food, Organic products

great vegan food in Zagreb - Edit

I ate here so many times (I study in Zagreb). I think I tried everything off the menu and everything was always delicious and simply perfect! The staff is also very polite and the location and ambient is also very nice. All of their food comes from their own organic farm and is completely vegan.

Pros: delicious food, nice ambient, portion size

Cons: a bit expensive

friendly service, delicious food - Edit

my cousin and I are here every day that we were in Zagreb. the first day the waiter forgot to write down my cousins order (the quinoa salad) and immediately apologised and told us it would be on the house which was extremely generous of them, as it wasn't even a big deal to us! then the next day we came in for takeaway cakes, the waiter recognised us and gave us a cup of icecream for free. the staff go above and beyond to serve the customers, and the food is amazing!!! nice big portions too. will be coming back next time I'm in Zagreb :)

Yummy, creative food. - Edit

I visited Zrno Bio Bistro on my last night in Zagreb, and I wish i'd visited earlier! We were welcomed by a friendly waiter, who spoke good english, who allowed us to take our pick of seating in the semi-busy restaurant. Food was served quickly and we were offered the wifi code whilst we waited - whilst this may have been an interruption for some, we appreciated the opportunity to research our plans for the evening.

The food was fresh and tasty - I had the miso sesame soup to start, and the Mega Protein (Grilled tofu, tempeh and seitan with BBQ sauce, green vegetables and sweet potato) as a main. My only issue was that I would have preferred less vegetables with my main (kale, salad and boiled sweet potato), or even sweet potato chips as opposed to the boiled version I received.

Definitely worth a visit, as the only strictly vegan restaurant in Zagreb!

Pros: Friendly staff, Clean, modern restaurant, Good selection of food and alcohol

Cons: Only one waiter working, Too much veg!

Good place, but pricey - Edit

The restaurant is in the center, so you might have trouble with parking. Park in garage Tuskanac that's 5min away.
food is good, HQ ingredients, but also pricey.
2 cakes cost around 10 euros, but you get what you pay for.
Service is good.
Wish they had good vegan burgers..

Pros: all vegan, tasty, good service

Cons: expensive, closes early, no vegan burgers

Amazing food! - Edit

I eat here every week and I think I tried everything on their menu. There is a lot to choose from, if you can't decide I would recommend the macroplate because it suprises you. Their restoraunt is very nice, plenty of space and the staff is friendly. To any vegan who is visiting Zagreb for the first time I would recommend this place.

Pros: amazing food, great location , friendly staff

cool - Edit

nice place and plenty of nice seating. got there at a 21:05 and kitchen was closed. no soup, nothing. they could whip up for me except desserts (they were really good). no coffee either. they were interested in closing by 930 and leaving on the dot.

Pros: desserts are really good

Great place - Edit

Out of the way place in a cool area of Zagreb ! The food was well prepared and delicious. Very clean and well done restaurant decor . Also has an outside courtyard . Staff was very friendly and helpful . Great selection of beer and wine as well .
I had the protein plate and chocolate cake ... Very good !

Just perfect! - Edit

This place is awesome: the restaurant itself is very cute and well decorated. There are a few tables outside, in the inner court of the building. The staff is very friendly and attentive.
You'll have plenty of choice for the food and drinks. The seitan cordon bleu was delicious: very tasty and great presentation. Prices are quite low.
This is one of the best à la carte vegan restaurant I've ever been to.

Pros: delicious food, beautiful location , prices and staff

amazing! - Edit

If you are in Croatia don't dare to miss this place! Great service, such tasty dishes, I wish I had more room in my stomach so that I could try more dishes. A very good value for money. I especially reccomand the breaded tofu!!

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, big portions

Nice little place - Edit

It is a pleasant restaurant, and they do their best to offer nice vegan food, in a city that has not that much choice for vegans. We shared 3 dishes between the two of us.
A red bean stew, fried brown rice with vegetables, and a ceasar salad. Firstly, the portions were very large so we had actually ordered too much. The food itself was nice, with some seasoning here and there to finetune it.
What i didn't like was that in every dish there was a soya product : sausage in the beanstew, tofu in the salad, and tofu and tempeh in the fried rice, That was just a bit too much for me. If i recall the menu, that was pretty much the case in every dish.
No room left for deserts...
The wine was very nice though :)

Delicious Organic Vegan Meal - Edit

We visited Zrno Bio Bistro while cycle touring into Zagreb. We ordered the macro plate and the crusted tofu. Both dishes were delicious with lots of vegetables to accompany the meal.

The service, unfortunately, was incredibly slow. It took about 45 minutes between ordering and receiving our meals. After cycling 60km, we were starving. I don't know if this is because we were sitting outside or if that is typical.

The dessert was OK. We got the chocolate cake and the carrot cake. I was expecting more of a traditional carrot cake, but it had some sort of gelatinous middle that was a bit unappetizing.

Otherwise, I would absolutely return. There were so many delicious-looking items on the menu that it was tough to decide on one.

Pros: Food, Ambiance

Cons: Service

A nice dinner option - Edit

This is a really nice dinner option. I find that in many parts of the world, vegan and vegan-leaning restaurants tend to be focused on lunch or at least not be open very late, so that was the main reason we went here in the first place.

I got the seitan cordon bleu, and it was really good. My husband's soup and entree were also really good. We got a couple of slices of cake to go. There weren't a lot of dessert options left that late into the day. That said, don't bother. We agreed that the desserts we had were really bland. Not sweet or flavorful at all. That said, do go because the rest of the menu is delicious.

The location isn't right in the middle of the action, but it's definitely walkable from the center. After seeing tons and tons of people out getting drinks (despite it being a Tuesday), we walked a couple of blocks that were residential and not very busy. So I was a little nervous that I was leading us to something not very exciting. Plus we were the only costumers. That said, the food definitely makes up for it. I guess we were just in the minority that we wanted dinner and not just drinks at 8pm.

Pros: Great main dishes, Good dinner spot

Cons: Bland desserts

good and healthy - Edit

Zrno, is a fancy place with lots of wood and nice decor. The menu is interesting and the food healthy. The price is ok (for 'westerners') but to be honest I was a little disappointed with the food. It lacked lustre and imagination. Don't get me wrong it was good and I enjoyed it, but given how good reviews for this place are and the standard at the other vegan places in Zagreb I expected more.

Pros: healthy organic food, spacious and friendly

Cons: Not cheap

five star quality - Edit

When I looked at the menu I wanted to order every single dish on it. In the end, I could taste 4 different dishes thanks to friends and all of them were top class. You can taste it is all very fresh and prepared with a lot of dedication. I wish I had gone back a second time to try more. So good.

Pros: delicious fresh food, friendly staff

AMAZING - Edit

So happy to have found this place in Happy Cow! This adorable cafe is quite hidden from any main area, and it truly is a diamond in the rough. All vegan, all local, all delicious! I treated myself to a soy cappuccino and a delicious raw vegan apple cake. Made my vacation!

Pros: fresh local food, prices, big menu!

Five star no doubt! - Edit

This place in Zagreb was such a positive surprise! I only ate there once and loved absolutely everything. My vegan cream soup, the smoothie, the main dish. It was a rich, sweet delight. Service was great, I waited a bit since they were full, but nothing too long. I felt comfortable eating alone on one of the little side tables for two. Can't remember the price, but it was worth it whatever it cost. I'm definitely coming back there next time I'm in the city.

Pros: vegan food, service, atmosphere

Zrno - Edit

At Zrno Bio Bistro you can choose to sit either in the fairly big patio or inside. Both options are welcoming.
I had pasta with pesto (it is called green-something pasta), a shake out of soy milk and few other ingredients and some pudding-like dessert.
The pasta was good, it had a decent flavour, although a little bit bland. Quite possible though that I am accustomed to flavour enhancers to such an extend that I am not able to esteem really organic and fresh quality food.
The same holds true for the milk shake which seemed to me a bit bland too.
Yet the creamy pudding/mousse dessert was undistinguished, that's for sure.
For the rest the venue was clean and pleasing and the staff friendly (however, my waiter clocked off at the very same time I finished eating and was waiting for someone to ask for the bill).
I am not completely convinced by Zrno but would recommend it nonetheless.

Pros: great patio, organic, classy (basically everything)

Cons: bland taste, not cheep

Delicious main dishes; so so cakes - Edit

I've eaten there twice. I've tried breaded tofu, and seitan cordon bleu. They're both delicious, come with tasty sauces, steamed greens and other veggies, and some pickled veggies (sunchoke was interesting). Servings are rather large. The staff is friendly. There's a nice garden with grapevine shade.

I've also tried their cakes: carrot&ginger and lemon&tofu. They are rather bland, and taste - macrobiotic. When I became a vegan, a decade ago, macrobiotic cakes were the only vegan cakes available in Zagreb, so I believed that all vegan cakes must taste like that - bland and a bit weird. When I started baking I realised that vegan cakes can taste how the baker wants them to taste. Zrno's lemon&tofu cake tastes very much like (plain, not silken) tofu. I recommend vegan cakes in Vegehop instead.

Zrno serves no black tea.

The food, and especially drinks, are rather expensive, for Zagreb, and for a bistro. I know the certificates cost money, but organic agriculture is not something I would pay more for.

I really like Zrno's main dishes, and I will visit it again, but I don't think I'll eat any other cake of theirs. 5 cows for main dishes, 3 cows for cakes, average 4 cows.

Pros: delicious main courses, large servings, friendly staff

Cons: expensive, bland cakes, no black tea

Delicious organic vegan food - Edit

This restaurant is down a little alley, so the map on Happy Cow was much appreciated! Lovely restaurant setting with big meals. The drinks were delicious (juices and smoothies). Prices were expensive for Croatia but the owner was explaining that everything on their menu is organic, so this probably explains the slightly higher prices. In summary, delicious vegan food. Did not try the desserts, although they looked lovely!

Pros: Friendly staff with good English, Big meal sizes, Delicious food

Friendly vegan restaurant - Edit

I found this bistro during my short stay in Zagreb this summer and they saved my life quite a few times since its not that easy to find a completely vegan restaurant there.

The food was very good but i think that the strong point is the staff sympathy.

Would definitely recomended it to someone who visits Zagreb.

Pros: Staff sympathy, Good vegan dishes

Cons: Slightly expensive

Maybe I picked the wrong item - Edit

I wanted to try the seitan cordon bleu, but they were out of it, so I got the miso udon soup which was supposed to have tofu and tempura vegetables. The tempura vegetables were parsley tempura and were in my soup, making the tempura soggy. I was also disappointed, it was parsley tempura, not vegetables. The soup was quite ordinary tasting and barely had any tofu, and the pieces it had were very tiny. I would give it three stars based on what I had, but I believe I just chose the wrong dish as I looked at what some other people were eating and their food seemed better than mine, so for that reason I will give it an extra star.

Favorite restaurant in Zagreb! - Edit

I was very disappointed to learn that Nova had closed down when I started my research for my Zagreb trip.
Fortunately, a friendly fellow vegan told me about Zrno opening its doors on the VERY same day I arrived in Zagreb.
Of course, I (and my travel buddies) went there the next day and would return two more times.
Every meal I had, was great, made with fresh ingredients, portions were great and I always left the restaurant satisfied!
On my three visits, I had and can recommend the warm Kayu sandwich with sweet potato fries, the seitan cordon bleu (more like stuffed seitan rolls really) with leafy greens and the macro plate (grains, vegetables, seaweed etc).
I also loved the apple cake with oat milk and chocolate cream topping and the rich chocolate cake.
Service was attentive and friendly, the owner was present and made sure all guests felt well take care of. We even got free starters and dessert on one of our visits!
There was no nervousness or slow service, which is something I could have forgiven since it was their opening week.
Unfortunately they were not open for dinner while I was there but it seems they stay open until 8 pm now.
Prices seemed appropriate for the high quality of food offered. Actually, a main menu for around 7 Euro is extremely affordable.
Nice garden, too.
Can you tell I love this place?

Pros: friendly staff, central location, small but creative menu

Return to Zagreb Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zrno Bio Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6207 times since Jul 2013.