Zoya Country Market

• Health Store Health Store
Contact +359-899884115

22 Aksakov St, Sofia, Bulgaria,

Located in a central off-beat street, this place is kind of a mixed market - for organic products, country products and selection of superfoods. The atmosphere is relaxed with interior made all of wood with a food bar selling sandwiches, smoothies, and raw chocolate sweets prepared on the premises.

First Review by RachelLouise

Awesome place! - Edit

i love the atmosphere of this shop, its recycled styling and homie feeling , they have great variety for the size of the market, fresh vegan wraps and drinks, great choice of organic cosmetics and food supplements, I personally know the owners and the crew and I can plainly say, that they are among the very few real fairtraders in the healthy food sector in Sofia/ Bulgaria!

Pros: Educated personnel , Great variety, Location!

Cons: Very small, It's often too crowded

Small place with great choice of veg products - Edit

You can find this great Health shop in the heart of Sofia, just few steps away from the Parliament.

It is a small shop, but aside of this fact you can find everything you need:household products,cosmetics,foods and drinks.

Except from some items that include bee products,everything else is vegan. Household products are eco-friendly.

You can buy herbs,spices,grains and seeds. Some supplements too.

Different kind of desserts,including raw,chocolates and sandwiches.

(They used to have a small kitchen,to make some own sandwiches and other food,but this option is now invalid )

There you can find great collection of drinks - tea,coffee and especially vegan milks.

Zoya Country Market adds new products constantly and now even have own cosmetic line - "Zoya goes pretty".

Pros: Great choice of products, Vegan and eco-friendly, Centrally located

Cons: Small place, Bee products

Good selection of health food - Edit

I arrived here at 1 PM and asked about the sandwiches, but the woman told me they didn't have any but maybe they would later. I was a bit surprised as 1PM seems too early to sell out of sandwiches. I'm not certain if they stopped making the sandwiches, but it might be good to call to confirm they have sandwiches if you're going specifically for that purpose like I was. I didn't ask more questions, because the store was busy. I saw one table in the back, but it wasn't clear to me if it was for employees or customers.

A healthy shop, not a restaurant:good,though! - Edit

Zoya is a really nicely arranged health (food) shop: they sell teas, loose dry groceries, all kinds of natural soaps and preparations (including a tattoo healer pot which looked great!).

In my visit, in the afternoon, the only food I could easily walk away with was healthy bars (Naked and others), chocolate and a few more things. I take they also offer sandwiches for lunch and they make drinks, but I have seen no place where to sit down (the space is tiny).

Ideal if you are in Sofia for a few days and want some inspiration or pick up some cosmetics which you may not find at home.

Pros: Great selection of products, Centra location, The place looks great

Cons: Tiny, Not a restaurant

Great shop! - Edit

You can find here a lot of vegan goods. You can also have a good coffee with plant milk and delicious sandwich - you should try Seitan kebab with vegan mayonnaise!

Pros: Great range of products , Very nice personnel , Sandwiches

Cons: Small space

Delicious Prepackaged Sandwiches and more! - Edit

I spent some time in Sofia, and found this small grocery store on HappyCow. Although small in size, this store is packed with loads of products (many of them organic), from cosmetics to a bulk foods section. I had 3 of their prepackaged vegan sandwiches, and all three were amazing! Each of them was made from seitan, different types of vegetables and spices, and a vegan cream sauce was spread throughout the sandwich layers. I could eat their sandwiches every day of the week. I ordered a fresh green smoothie to wash down one of the sandwiches. I also stocked up on snacks for my trip here, and bought several Zoya brand chocolates which were also superb. This store made my day trips throughout Bulgaria much more pleasurable.

Pros: Excellent sandwiches, Good value, Good selection

Great place for snacks and organic products - Edit

I was in Sofia for a week, and I believe I went to Zoya every day. Zoya is an almost vegan shop (see note below about bee products) with lots of eco-friendly and organic body care, makeup, household products, chocolate, and snacks. It also has a small selection of freshly-made sandwiches and raw desserts.

The raw desserts were fabulous. They had some fruit and nut parfaits that were particularly good. One had chia seeds at the bottom, which gave it an interesting texture. I also had a chocolate-banana thing that was to-die-for, and a tasty pumpkin and berry tart/pudding.

I got a sandwich there twice, and they were simple, but good. The sandwiches both had fresh vegetables and a spread. The sandwiches changed every day, and they only had a few available, so they are very likely to run out.

I almost forgot to mention the vegan mini-croissants. Mmmm!

There is a bench and a small table where you can eat or drink something, but I always took everything to go. It's a small store, so it's not the best place to sit and eat.

They have a good selection of organic products, both food and non-food. Some of the prices are good, but some are very high because they're imported from far away. It seemed to me that anything imported from Europe was pretty cheap and anything from further away was expensive, which makes sense.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. They will tell you that everything is vegan. However:

A note about bee products: Zoya is not all vegan; they do carry bee products, such as beeswax and royal jelly. None of the food I asked about had honey, so I think that whoever makes their food probably doesn't use honey. But be sure to ask. Not all the staff spoke English, but most did. The word for honey is pronounced "med".

Pros: raw desserts, other food

Cons: uses bee products, small selection of food

Return to Sofia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zoya Country Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2814 times since Dec 2010.