CLOSED: Zone Verte

Contact 0478381518

24 quai St Antoine (at Metro: Cordeliers), Lyon, France, 69002

Serves meat, vegan options available. Previously all-veg but no longer, as reported Oct 2012. An organic restaurant in central Lyon, next to the river Saône, opposite Vieux Lyon. Seating inside on two levels. Staff speak English. Monday reservation limited to 15 people only. SEPT 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, French, Non-veg

First Review by earthville

Nice food & staff - Edit

Went there yesterday and the waiter was very welcoming, even more when he saw my husband was wearing a "vegan" tshirt.
He explained us how the menu worked: you can choose between just the main course or first course + main course or first course+main course+dessert and this is the one we chose :-)
He told us which were the vegan options. The price was 16€ for the 3 courses.
While we were eating there was a guy behind us who apparently was eating vegetarian for the 1st time so the waiter spent some time with him explaining the benefits of a veggie/vegan diet. He then asked us (as we are vegan) if we didn't mind giving some more information to that guy, I think this was great!
I highly recommand this small and nice restaurant where everything is organic (from the ingredients to the toilet parer!!!).

Pros: location, food, staff

Cons: not many vegan desserts

VEGAN !? - Edit

we just came home from a short visit of Zone Verte. There was one (out of three) vegan option which was really nice.

however, the staff wasn't really used to serve vegans, i guess. I don't think one be absolutely sure to get something purely plant based.

by the way, the beer was fantastic! :P

Pros: location

Cons: not especially vegan-friendly

definitely worth a try - Edit

I was in Lyon for a couple of days for work and was a bit concerned about finding vegetarian food, especially since I don't speak any french. A Google search revealed that this place was less than 2 minutes walk from my hotel, so despite the mixed reviews on here I thought it was worth trying. I found that the staff spoke reasonable English and were able to explain the menu to me clearly. It wasn'very busy when i was there so I was served quickly.

I had a tomato gazpacho for entree (which was delicious) and an eggplant tart for the main. I discovered this had lots of cellery in it which I don't like, so I didn't enjoy the flavour of this dish as much, but that wouldn't stop me from going back here, if only I had more time in Lyon!

Personally I found the prices quite reasonable, compared to what you'd pay in Australia for the same thing.

Pros: tasty, riverside, english speaking

Huge disappointment and scary experience - Edit

You enter, and the daily menu options (3) are written in French on a board. No indication if they are vegan or vegetarian, and no list of ingredients. I asked in French, which options were vegan, and the girl over the counter told me that 2 of them, one of which had feta in it. She was trying to convince me that it was a special feta made of soy. I was very skeptical, and asked a colleague of her,who said that it was made of cow's milk. After this I was shocked enough. But since I was hungry too, I chose the only menu which was vegan. A very boring unrecognizable veg stew with overcooked white rice. The portion was OK for me, but for a man it would have been tiny. A total waste of money for bad food, and scary experience: had I believed the first girl, I would have eaten a non-vegan cheese. This could be easily improved, if they marked which items were vegan, and if they indicated the ingredients. I will certainly not go back! [edit by staff- please see ToS]

Pros: interesting tables

Cons: staff has no idea about vegan food, Food is not good at all, miniature portions

yummy food, fantastic service - Edit

The food was fantastic - tasty homestyle meals which is always appreciated when travelling. Their food is produced using organic ingredients and they had a large range of organic drinks. Good use of grains to provide balanced meals, tasty fresh salads and something sweet to finish off. One of the best things about this place were the owners being able to explain very clearly in English what animal products were used in each dish. There were lots of vegan options.

Pros: delicious food, great service (explaining ingredients), lots of vegan options

Great little place to eat in Lyon - Edit

A cute concept- you pick starter, entree and dessert at the counter, canteen style. These come in stackable round dishes. the dishes are mounted on a wooden tray with holes for bread, cutlery and a drink. You pay and take your tray to a table. The tray slots into a groove on the table. Of course, you can choose to have less courses, but the menu gives the greatest value for money. they have organic wines and beers and fruit waters, also tea and coffee. I had hummus with salad and lovely bread, a bake with brocolli and polenta (which unfortunately had celery in which I despise) and a peach clafoutis with chocolate sauce. Price was reasonable and food very fresh. You can sit outside with a view over the Lyon old town.

Pros: good VFM, cute, delicious

Cons: celery, blah

Good food, good service, good location - Edit

Zone Verte does what it does quite well. The service is friendly and efficient, and the food is salubrious and well seasoned. There's dining both indoors and out, which is a good thing since the place is buzzing at lunch. The almost-riverside terrace is a great place to peoplewatch while dining.

Exceptionally vegan-friendly: They took the time to check the ingredients of each course of the meal (starter, main dish, and dessert) and prepare vegan versions of each dish, all with a warm and friendly attitude. Prices are reasonable considering the quality of the ingredients and the service.

Would happily eat here again. :-)

Pros: Very vegan friendly, 100% organic, Good location

Cons: Not open evenings (except Fri & Sat), Limited variety and choice

Return to Lyon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Zone Verte closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 234 times since Feb 2011.