Zia Taqueria

828-575-9393

521 Haywood Rd, Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28806

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican fusion taqueria, with a vegetarian/vegan menu posted right next to the register where one orders. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Take-out, Mexican, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by halfthejob

would’ve loved to get some service. - Edit

Full service section was full. There were hardly any tables. Waited in the line to order and then sit down but the bartender was only taking one order every 10-15min... ended up leaving

Tamale Tuesday! - Edit

We discovered Zia during the 2016 Plant Based Challenge when they created a wonderful tamale dish with rice and beans. It was such a hit they decided to offer it weekly on Tuesdays. I've never had anything else and not really sure about other options (although I know there are a couple) because their tamales are life! Seriously. It is an amazing dish. It's obvious how much work they put into it. You need to try this. Go. Next Tuesday.

Additionally, the salsa that comes out with the chips is great. We always gobble it up. Their tea is made just right and service is always A+ . I've never had bad service. They're on it.

We love Zia. And the tamale dish gets an 8.5 out of 5. :-)

UPDATE on Oct 2, 2017!!!!
.....If you're reading this and it's still October of 2017, get over to Zia and try this year's entry in the Plant-Based challenge. It's a taquito, enchilad, rice, beans, and calabacitas. You won't be sorry.

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-19

Pros: Tamales!, Vegan rice/beans, Great service

Cons: Tamales only on Tuesday

Easy to eat vegan at Zia - Edit

When you go to Zia, make sure to look for the special vegan/vegetarian menu posted next to the cash register -- all of these items can be made vegan if you specify, which makes eating here a welcoming, no-hassle experience. Their vegan options are simply delicious. I had the portobello taco and the nopales taco -- both very beautiful and yummy. Also enjoyed a side of the vegan Mexican rice. Everything SO GOOD. Great atmosphere also, we like to eat outside when we are here. Definitely recommend, especially for vegans who sometimes eat out with non-vegans.

Pros: delicious, friendly, good ambience

Cons: most of the regular menu is non-vegan

One of Our Favorite Taco Spots - Edit

Zia Taqueria has quickly become one of my family's favorite taco places in Asheville. And, if you know Asheville you know that we have quite a number of taco places.

Before actually going to Zia, it looked as though their vegan options were limited. But, after having gone, I realized that they have an entirely separate vegan/vegetarian menu posted right near the cash register, where you order.

With out a doubt, our favorite thing on the menu -- which is actually NOT listed on their full menu, but on the vegan/vegetarian menu -- is vegan version of the Fried Nopales Tacos. Now, Zia is the only place that I've ever eaten a fried cactus taco, and I truly find these to be so delicious. The first time I ordered them, the staff went so far as to recommend that I add a tomatillo sauce to my order -- as the non-vegan version of this has some sort of cream sauce on top, and the tomatillo sauce makes for a nice vegan substitute. I now add this everytime. We've also have had a vegan version of the portabello mushroom tacos -- which also has re-fried black beans, and fresh avocado in it -- and these were quite good. And, we regularly add a side or two of the Mexican Rice (vegan option), and the Frijoles Negros -- both of which are quite good.

Just looking at their menu, the vegan options at Zia might seem a little underwhelming. But, everything we've had there, has been quite delicious -- including the side orders. I highly recommend Zia.

Pros: Fried Nopales Tacos, Seperate vegan/vegetarian menu, Reasonably priced

Cons: Bar-ish feel

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zia Taqueria closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.