First Review by blackcat

Friendly vegan friendly - Edit

A popular restaurant in the heart of the city.
I visit this place frequently and often get a take out.
The staff are very friendly and always make you feel welcome.
It's always with busy with locals and tourists.
I certainly recommend the ginger 'chicken'. Price around rm6
Choice of buffet or menu.
Serves delicious fresh juices
Great low price range.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-20

Pros: Vegan friendly, Happy staff, Central location

friendly service - Edit

we went late (around 2pm) and the buffet was essentially empty. The staff spoke decent English however and we're happy to make us something fresh. we asked them to make it spicy and wound up with a fiery fried rice dish and a noodle soup which had some tofu balls, mock meat and what looked like udon noodles for rm 11 total. The food was tasty, filling and cheap. Make sure to specify no egg if you're vegan.

Good lunch option - Edit

Went for lunch 3 times, good food. Around 12 options, many vegan, but do ask. Cost ranged from 7-11RM for my plates. Very friendly employee. Food almost gone by 2pm - not sure if they still cook after that.

Pros: chilis and ginger-lemon condiments

Cons: vegan items not labeled

inexpensive, good variety - Edit

Self serve buffet style, grab a tray & fill your plate, price is calculated by weight. Fairly extensive variety, most dishes are vegan (just ask where unsure, most staff speak English). Cost me 10RM for a bowl of rice, plate filled with food, bowl of soup, and fresh OJ. Would recommend

Pros: inexpensive , good variety, spacious atmosphere

Does the trick. - Edit

This place provides a valuable service to Kuching's veg community, offering a lunch buffet for a reasonable price.
It was quite busy, and frequented by an ethnic cross-section of Kuching's population.
The food is ok if you like bland southern Chinese cuisine. At least its possible to get chili.

Pros: Fast, Acceptable, Cheap

Cons: Bland

fresh, tasty & inexpensive - Edit

Cefeteria style cafe where you choose your dishes and pay by weight. They have a number of tofu & mock meat dishes.

Rice & clear soup is an optional extra.

Historical pictures of Kuching on the wall.

Pros: inexpensive, fresh, tasty

Cons: not open for dinner

Excellent buffet lunch selection and nice dinner - Edit

Ate here loads when I was in Kuching! The owner and all staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The selection for lunch was excellent and food was quite hot. You take what you want and your plate is weighed (you get rice separately on a new plate). The price was slightly higher than similar places but I think the food was nicer.

The dinner worked out cheaper ordering from the menu (maybe because I took too much at the buffet!). Most meals were about 5RM.

Very popular place fills up quickly at lunch time!

Pros: Tasty buffet food, Hot food on buffet, Cheap a la cart menu

Cons: Slightly expensive for economy rice

Nice porridge - Edit

As recommended by other reviewers, I tried the porridge and found that I totally agree with others that it is really tasty. My friend and I have twice in our 5 days trip. It is only served in morning until around 11pm with other ala carte like kolo mee and kui chap, lunch time will be economic rice. After lunch can order that porridge also provided there is still porridege. We purposely reserved it when we missed it in one morning. The porridge contains a lot of vegetables, mushroom and many other material which I think is mock meat. Only cost RM3-4 (I forget) and it is cooked upon ordered. Can be quite full having it the whole bowl. The fresh orange juice also nice. The place is clean and the staffs are nice. Kolo mee and kui chap are just ok to me but are cheap to try.
The operating time is now only 8am-6pm only.

Tasty! - Edit

We visited the place in March 2013 (for late lunch + bought a lunchbox the following day).
Although the place is nothing too special, it was very nice to find it in Kuching.
The interior was simple, it was popular with locals (which means that food is always fresh) and the staff were nice.

Four cows, because it is not entirely vegan.

Pros: Tasty food, Good value for money, Friendly staff

Cons: Short working hours...

Good local place - Edit

We loved eating here (July 2012). The pin is correct, it is not too far to walk here from the 'centre' of town.
You pick whatever you want from the buffet and the lady weighs it and you pay, and can order a drink separate. We also loved the fresh juices, they offer with/without sugar.

I think we came here for dinner both times, around 6/7pm. The place was full of locals who'd clearly finished work, and come here straight away for dinner either alone or with family =)
The buffet was cheap, the second time we had about 6 or 7 plates!

Also the second time we left, someone had dumped a kitten on their doorstep. We stayed with their daughter and the kitten for a brief while, and they went and sorted out a box and some food/water for it bless them!!! I wish more people in Asia has this attitude!

Pros: Very cheap, lots of choice, fresh juices were yummy

A budget place to be - Edit

This restaurant has a variety of choice in their Chinese style buffet. You can choose whatever you want then just put on the scale. The price is based on the weight. Inexpensive and clean. Try the orange juice, very pure.

Rare case of full agreement! - Edit

Agree with all points of previous reviewers!

Tasty yet light - not swimming in oil (as is common in Chinese vege eateries in West Malaysia), so I can enjoy a meal out that doesn't start me worrying about clogged arteries.

The staff seems experienced with tourists, offering the option to exclude from fruit juices the sugar, salt, or milk that is popular with locals. I was also warned when I grabbed the sweet chili sauce (that is often mistaken for ketchup). And it only took my prolonged glance of curiosity at an item to evoke a complete description of it from staff.

As the boss sat at a table and ate with a small child who was finishing up homework, I realized what makes meals at shops like this feel so good: the shop is an extension of their home. And a good boss will make sure that both staff and customers feel at home in the shop.

NOTE:
Went for lunch and dinner, and buffet was available at both times.

Pros: light, tasty food, helpful, attentive staff, good value

Good tasty food - Edit

Simple and clean buffet restaurant. Some interesting juices and drinks and a good choice of dishes plus rice and noodles. Not much on the fake meat front but lots of other choice. Good tasty food. Friendly staff with excellent english.

Pros: good value, quick, lots of choice

Yummy Yum Yum - Edit

Where to start? The fresh lime juice was divine, and the choice for other juices excellent. The restaurant was informal, clean, nicely laid out and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was buffet style with a fantastic choice, and sold via weight. My non-vege husband loved it too and we went several times during our stay. There was also non-buffett items such as sticky rice, spring roles, and fried eggs. As soon as you sat down you were given soup. Closed on Sunday, excellent value - we never paid more than a 20 ringits for two, including drinks.

Pros: excellent food, value for money, choice of dishes

Cons: Not open Sunday

Return to Kuching Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zhun San Yen Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2225 times since Aug 2007.