1 Review

First Review by Simon B

Soul Food - Edit

Situated about 2 minutes walk from Guicheng Metro stop, and opposite the soul-vacuum that is CapitaMall (home to the Wal-Mart Supercentre), is this great little place. The limited opening hours would appear to be due to the ingredients being prepared fresh for each session, possibly by a group of volunteers. Strolling past an hour before the 5pm evening opening, I saw an electic group of about 8-10 people merrily chopping and preparing vegetables in the main dining area.

As evident from the décor, it is a Buddhist restaurant, and a suitable air of conviviality permeates the place. When I returned at 5.30pm, the dining area was already full to capacity and so I turned to leave. However one of the attendants warmly beckoned me back in and, after getting a plate of food, a family invited me to sit with them.

The food was entirely meat-free, and as far as I could tell, dairy-free too. Although the description on Happy Cow describes it as a ‘buffet’, the diner appears to have little choice in the proceedings. I was given a plate loaded with servings from 6 or 7 dishes, plus a soup. There were noodles, barley, various vegetable medleys and chunks of sweet potato, all with light sauces. The sheer variety of vegetables, beans and pulses on my plate was unlike anything I had had in my three months in China. Nothing fried or steamed into oblivion, no errant bits of meat to pick out…just crunchy wholesome goodness, bursting with flavour.

Payment for the meal was a little unclear at first. When I asked two of the staff/volunteers there, I was told there was no cost. Puzzled by this, and noticing others were stuffing notes into a box by the serving station, I dug a bit deeper and found out there is an 8rmb donation. At such a price, this is still cheaper than a meal at most other local restaurants, and yet it also tastes better and feels far healthier than the sometimes perfunctory food served at these. Due to both the atmosphere of the place and the food itself, it’s safe to say I will be dining at Zhenru on a regular basis.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 03, 2013

Updated from previous review on Sunday November 03, 2013

Pros: Healthy, great tasting food, Friendly staff, Price

Cons: Limited opening hours, Limited seating

Return to Foshan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zhenru Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.