First Review by junya

Decent but frustrating - Edit

No buffet when I went - asked about a menu and he points to his mouth. My ideas didn't work (laksa or mock meat with veggies), then he's suggesting dishes that I don't really care about; eventually we agree on something. And the food was average, but it's just annoying paying 14 RM for something you didn't really want...

delicious authentic Laksa - Edit

I had been meaning to come here, especially since reading the review saying that make Laksa. I was put off because they don't have a menu displayed anywhere. And it worried me if their English was poor. I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by an English speaking man when I arrived who asked what I'd like. He was very familiar with dairy and egg free options. Meals arrived promptly. My wife tasted it and confirmed that the flavours were authentic to the Sarawak Laksa she remembers. I enjoyed this place, I think I'll come back tomorrow.

Pros: cheap, tasty , authentic

Cons: not open for dinner , cheap looking tables & chairs, no menu

Great Serawak Laksa, Friendly Service - Edit

I had the laksa, which I highly recommend. This is the signature dish of Serawak, served everywhere, but normally loaded with multiple animal species. This was an opportunity to try a veg version of it.
It was very tasty.
Ask for it without egg if you want it vegan.
I didnt try the buffet, but it looked like standard southern Chinese fare, with the exception that they had curry too. Maybe worth checking whether the curry has milk in it or not.
I dont understand the communication issues that the reviewer below experienced- the staff who served me were friendly, helpful and spoke English well.

Pros: A chance to try Serawak Laksa!, Tasty, Friendly, helpful staff

Delicious vegetarian buffet food - Edit

Super friendly service, they provide rice and you can help yourself to an array of mock meat stir fry dishes. They also serve laksa and a few other items. Highly recommend for a cheap vegetarian feed.

Lost in translation - Edit

My interpretation of the English on menu differed from that of the shop: I pointed to "Veg. steamed bean curd" and "Fresh soy milk" but, after a long wait (and I was the only customer!), I got steamed bean curd skin (not tofu) with no vegetables, and a can of soy drink. The server's limited English and my limited Malay and Chinese squashed any possibility of discussing our differences. I tasted the dish and, while it was not inedible, it was not something I would expect to be served in a restaurant.

This encounter really was too brief to serve as a basis for an overall rating, but this review's web form requires it. The intention of this short review is to alert others to the possibility of unexpected outcomes when dining here.

Updated from previous review on Friday February 04, 2011

Cons: undistinguished food with poor presentat, menu ambiguities, slow service

Return to Kuching Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zhen Xiang Zhai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1505 times since Nov 2009.