Zest Kitchen and Bar

• Vegetarian
Contact 801-433-0589

275 S 200 W, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84103

Vegetarian restaurant with full service bar, opened fall 2012. Food is gluten free with vegan and raw food choices. Selection of cocktails as well locally produced wine and beer. Live music, DJ, and dancing some nights. Must be 21+ years.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

First Review by MarekArawn

Wonderful option - Edit

Loved Zest when I visited SLC recently. Everything was fresh and tasty. It was wonderful to have so many vegan options! I really wish there was a restaurant like this in my area.
My sister who is neither vegetarian nor vegan loved the food too. It is great to be able to go to a restaurant that people with any food preference can enjoy.

Pros: Many tasty, fresh vegan options, Clean, Friendly staff

Cons: It's 300 miles from home

Great find. - Edit

We were looking for a vegetarian option with a bar in SLC and were concerned with options. After reading Happy Cow reviews gave this place a try. Awesome! Food was interesting and delicious (especially the portabella bacon!) and the drinks well done.

Pros: Good variety of interesting foods, Excellent bar menu, Very accessible.

Cons: none

Delicious - Edit

The food was fantastic. I went to this restaurant with my meat eater boyfriend and he even thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We got the hot mushrooms with cashew cheese as an appetizer. We also split the pizza and the tacos. I highly recommend all three. The sauces and the "cheese" on the mushrooms were delicious, the pizza was better than any vegan pizza I've ever had, and the sauce and the vegetables on the tacos were so flavorful. The server we had was really attentive. I really wish I had a Zest back home now.

Pros: great food, not too expensive, good service

Cons: There's not one near me

Anything can be made vegan! - Edit

Zest is a modem looking hip vegetarian restaurant in which all items can be made vegan. Their vegan cheese plate with 4 kinds of cheeses was wonderful. I also liked the vegan pho. The service was great!

Pros: Vegan cheese plate, friendly service

Cons: Not 100& Vegan

great Dodd and service - Edit

I tried the soup of the day and a zucchini cashew squash dish that was baked in an iron skillet... Yummy... Especially the soup! I am a soup lover. I come here annually when I am in SLC and it's fabulous! Great service too- Jocelyn was awesome

michelin quality but inconsistencies - Edit

I have visited this establishment three times and each time I've thoroughly enjoyed the food but experienced inconsistencies in the accuracy of the dishes. The first time, my salad didn't have any dressing on it. The salad is a blend of dark leafy greens and not very palatable dry. Staff did bring dressing when I asked, of course. It was delicious. Just seems like a silly error. The second time my burger didn't have any special sauce, but my dad's did. They just forgot to put it on. Of course, they brought it when asked and it rocked. Just yesterday my partner and I ordered a pizza. It was amazing, but they forgot to put the nut sausage on, which would've been perfect. They couldn't make us a new pizza (cost wise) so they brought us a side of it, but it's not the same. Everything tastes so damn good, and you can tell it's high quality, but I just wish they would be more fastidious in the kitchen.
I enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant, the music is great, and the cocktails are quality. My other complaint is you have to ask for every discount, don't just expect that because you're there during appy hour or whatever they'll apply the discount themselves.

Pros: high quality ingredients, raw and extra healthy options, all gluten free

Cons: inconsistencies, stingy with specials

Very good downtown SL option - Edit

All vegetarian and all gluten-free food with several vegan options. Three bites in during my first visit and I was already planning more times I could return to try other items on the menu. Portions are good, atmosphere is nice.

Pros: All food is vegetarian, Portions are large, Unique tastes

Cons: Restaurant was kept somewhat cold

fresh and delicious food - Edit

Started with Brussels sprouts to share among the table. It was hard to decide what to order but I had the Thai coconut curry stir fry not was delicious! Also sampled my friends manicotti and the Moroccan dish, both were amazing. We shared the chocolate beet cake for dessert. I would really recommend this place!

What's good is really good.... - Edit

Went here for a special occasion. It is definitely a place for a date or for something special. It is a bit pricey, nice atmosphere, and the food is different/fancy. We ordered the "artichoke dip" thinking it was going to be a creamy dip with bread - but it was a spicy (like wasabi) dip inside an actual artichoke. It was beautiful, but sort of strange too - the taste was OK. Our main meals were good, fancy, and hit the spot. The stuffed mushrooms appetizer was really good, and the vegan dessert was the absolute best (see pics). Overall, it was expensive, but fun to try. The taste of the food ranged from just OK to amazing, depending on the dish.

Pros: Nice atmosphere for a date, Lots of vegan options, Fancy and beautiful food

Cons: Pricey, Some items are different/strange

Vegan-friendly, eco-friendly - Edit

Zest offers an eclectic menu of unusual dishes in a cool bar-bistrio setting. Tasty and salubrious food, good tea, and mid-tempo grooves played at volumes that still permit conversation. All of these elements combine to make a good formula for stimulating dining.

The menu is very vegan-friendly, with all non-vegan dishes being marked with an asterisk. The fact that they emphasize organic and local produce and value fair trade is much appreciated, as is the gluten-free kitchen, all of which together earn them the fifth happy cow in our rating.

I'm Hooked! - Edit

I was in the SLC area for two weeks. I was able to nourish myself exclusively in 4 area restaurants, with Zest being among the best. I have the added challenge of being lactose intolerant and gluten-free. I didn't have to worry at all here. This establishment boasts a certified gluten-free kitchen!

Pros: Gluten-free, Organic, Lounge Atmosphere

Cons: 21 And Over Only, Paid Parking Next Door

Great food, service and atmosphere - Edit

Great food, live music, and service. Our meals and dessert were delicious. The salted caramel hazelnut tote is amazing!! Although a little expensive, it's well worth it for being able to enjoy a more upscale vegan friendly, vegetarian establishment. We will definitely be going back.

Pros: delicious food, fun atmosphere, friendly service

Cons: 21 and older only

Awful - 1 cow rating if allowed - Edit

I'd give it one cow if I could. I hate to write a poor review of a vegetarian restaurant, but... The food is bland. I mean BLAND. The chef seems to have an aversion to putting salt, garlic, or other spices in food. Even the party next to us were joking about how poor the food "tasted". The only thing I had that had flavor was the balsamic reduction, and it wasn't reduced enough, it just tasted like straight balsamic vinegar.
It seems like the chef put ecletic ingredients together, just to be eclectic, not because of any particular flavor discoveries. When you try an experimental recipe, don't put it on the menu because it doesn't taste BAD, but because it tastes GOOD.
The portions were pretty small for the price (I understand organic and local products cost more, though).
Updated from previous review on Friday January 10, 2014

Pros: Uhh, waiter was nice

Cons: Flavorless food, Big prices for portion size, Trying too hard to be trendy

Vegan Bar and Kitchen? Yeah Baby! - Edit

Wow! Great locale, great bar menu with many signature cocktails and a nice food menu. A good selection of large and small plates, delicious salades and - gasp! - I'm even having dessert!

The staff is nice and helpful and, more importantly: no attitude!
Love it.
I'll be back tomorrow for the risotto plate!

Pros: Ambience, Food, Staff

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zest Kitchen and Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4577 times since Dec 2012.