Zenzero

Contact 051-5877026

Via Fratelli Rosselli 18/B, Bologna, Italy, 40121

Serves meat, vegan options available. Uses certified organic food, locally produced ingredients, and fair trade products. Many veg options. The restaurant-bistrot offers refined dishes based on tofu, tempeh, seitan, veggies.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Italian, Organic, Western, Non-veg

First Review by Alessandro

Elegant and tasty - Edit

I went to Zenzero for a dinner. The stuff was very friendly and helpful and explained well the vegan options. They base them on tofu, seitan and tempeh. The food was tasty and beautifully served (although seitan scallopes come alone so you need to order sth extra on the side like potatoes or salad). We paid 50€ in total for a dinner for two consisting of 2 courses, a glass of wine and a bottle of water.

una cena vegana - Edit

Arrivare a Bologna la sera senza aver prenotato un ristorante per un vegano può rivelarsi difficile. Grazie all'app ho trovato questo ristorante al centro di Bologna ed ho trovato posto. Ho mangiato purè di fave con verdura come antipasto e un piatto unico vegano per concludere. Tutto ciò accompagnato da una buona birra.
Un posto da consigliare.

Pros: buona cucina, personale gentile, vasta scelta vegana

Recommended for vegan and veg - Edit

Organic wholefoods omnivorous restaurant. Had vegan dinners here twice in the week we were in Bologna. Made reservations both times as they seem pretty busy. It is a minimalist yet homey restaurant. The staff are casually dressed and it is a relaxed atmosphere. We told our server that we are vegan and she made recommendations. They have tofu, seitan and tempeh, cooked to perfection with fresh veg. We had a veg starter (can't remember what - but it was good) and a plate with all three veg proteins with grains and veg. It was stylish yet filling. There was no vegan dessert the first night, but there was on the second - a rice pudding/flan with a berry sauce - delicious. A feel good meal - highly recommended.

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly and helpful staff.

Cons: Vegan dessert not guaranteed, Veg and vegan options not clearly marked

Absolutely worth a walk and a phone call - Edit

The place is very crowdy at lunch, workers from nearby offices go there in the lunch-break so it is better to go there before 12.30-13.00 otherwise you'll have to wait for a table. It's inside the walls of the city, but maybe 10 or 20 minutes walk from the places of interests, anyway it's absolutely worth a walk for a very healthy food with plenty of vegan choices. Average prices.

Pros: Very healthy, very vegan friendly

Cons: Crowdy

Tasty fresh food in Bologna - Edit

Good thing we arrived right when this place opened, as we didn't have a reservation and it filled up fast. It's not completely veg, but there are plenty of options and the wait staff is happy to point them out to you. We shared a started, the veg tempura. I don't know what they put in the sauce but it was all I could do not to lick the cup. We also shared a first plate, the gnocchetti, which was more or less like gnocchi, maybe a little smaller. I could have just had that as my main dish--definitely my favorite part of the meal. For my main I had the grilled tempeh over grilled veggies. The tempeh was thick and hearty but maybe needed to be steamed first. I thought the veggies were a little too oily, too. I liked the dish overall, but it wasn't as satisfying as the first plate. I didn't like my partner's seitan dish; it was basically a plate of seitan and I wasn't crazy about the texture or taste.

Overall this is a classy place with a vibrant atmosphere and friendly staff; I would definitely go back. They do get busy so make a reservation or plan to get there right at 7:30 pm.

Pros: good veg options, gnochetti!, nice space, helpful staff

Cons: veggies a bit oily, not crazy about the seitan

Really nice place in a less than expected Area - Edit

This spot was not hard to find, but was a little further removed from the central bustle of Bologna. We arrived and they did not open until 7:30 pm (a bit later than we are accustomed as Americans!). So, we waited outside until it opened and were the only people there for the first fifteen minutes and after the first hour, there were no seats available through the three rooms. The restaurant was rather upscale in appearance but not really more expensive than most places for the food we received. For an appetizer we had gnocchetti (small gnocchi) and tempura. Both of which were great. The main courses (grilled tempeh over vegetables and a cubed seitan dish) were good, but not great. The tempeh tasted a little bitter as if it was not first steamed and the seitan dish was just cubed seitan in a sauce on a plate which can be a bit dull as an entree. Overall, it was a pleasant experience, and would suggest it for anyone looking for a great, nice meal, but next time I would choose different main courses.
Note, the menu is about 40% solidly vegan with some creative options.

Pros: Nicer atmosphere

Cons: Appetizers outshined Entrees

Refined dishes - Edit

Relaxing and elegant atmosphere, fine service. Crowded place, reservation suggested (dinner).
Among the specialties don't miss the delicious vegetable tempura.

Pros: excellent choice and service

Cons: not 100% vegetarian

Return to Bologna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zenzero closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.