First Review by heysan

Decent Chinese fare in Brooklyn - Edit

Hungry for Chinese food, my daughter and I headed here. Their food is fusion of American and Chinese and they are heavy on the mock meats. Most of what we had was great, but a few things were just too meaty! Yeah, I know, that's our fault, but we couldn't quite eat that much mock meat.

If I were to go back, I'd order less, and have the meals that I was ordering explained to me. I wanted more vegetables! :) Flavors were good. Service was good. Quickness was reasonable (we ordered, went shopping for 20 minutes, came back and it was ready for us).

Pros: Chinese food, Fun fusion ideas, Service

Cons: Heavy on the mock meats, A little oily, Not cheap (but not expensive, either)

Amazing asian style dishes - Edit

Wonderful establishment, with friendly, helpful staff! Food is delicious, servings are large. I live in the neighborhood and come here at least once a week because the food is so tasty. I was told everything on the menu is vegan, not sure if this is new based on previous reviews. Although not located in a popular area of Brooklyn, definitely worth checking out if you're in the mood for some delicious asian food.

Superb - Edit

Great value, tasty food, medium-large portions. I had the sesame chicken for lunch: it was many pieces of fake meat, a few pieces of broccoli, in a tangy sauce, topped with a few sesame seeds. The ginger tea was an infusion of ginger, served with honey on the side. Very tasty. I assume from the presence of honey that the the restaurant doesn't try to be vegan. My companion liked hir eggplant chicken. The hot and sour coup was perfect, but served in a thin-walled pint take-out container instead of a soup bowl.

If I lived nearby I'd be in every week.

Pros: Better quality food than it needed to be, Inexpensive, Plentiful

Cons: Not much atmosphere, Minimal service

Wow - Edit

We went December 2010.

Lets see: clean, tidy, super friendly, lots of action in the kitchen. Small place - seating for about 12 people. I guess takeaway/delivery is popular.

We had: seaweed soup and miso soup. Both were both a hit. I had the seitan with ginger and fresh crunchy steamed broccoli -- very tasty; interestingly they used pickled ginger. Actually am getting peckish while writing this review so helping myself to leftovers. . . Pretty big portions. Mushu vegetables with hoisan sauce was also very tasty - but the pancakes were a bit dry. Ooh - fresh carrot juice with ginger!

Definitely going back -- such a big menu (18 Appetizers, 10 salad/soups, 27 mains (brown or white rice), 5 types of fried rice, 8 noodles, 13 items under vegetables/tofu).

Ceramic crockery and plastic cutlery.

Prices for Appetizers from $3 - $7.
Prices for mains averaged at $11.
Fresh Juices $4.

Lunch special (noon to 4pm) $6.

Here is a link to their menu: http://www.flatbushvegan.com/2009/04/vegan-eats-zen-vegetarian-house.html

Pros: fresh + delicious food, friendly staff, clean place

Return to Brooklyn Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zen Vegetarian House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2260 times since Nov 2009.