Zen

• ( 25 reviews )

Hanamaki Building, 5 Chome-10-9, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan, 160-0022

Serves meat, vegan options available. 善Zen is an okonomiyaki restaurant. Has English menu with vegetarian options - check which ones of these are or can be vegan. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-12:00am.

Categories: Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by CandieCat

Spatthy

Points +45

11 Mar 2020

Very nice experience!

Very friendly host and very accommodating for us vegetarians; clear english menu (with a special section for vegetarians/vegans) and he explained very well what we could order without fish/meat and dashi (fishstock). It was good food and more than enough! We sat at the counter so we could experience the preparations and we had nice interactions with local customers and the chef.

Pros: Easy ordering for vegetarians, Local food (non western)

kjones

Points +23

17 Feb 2020

ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS

Okinomiyaki is absolutely delicious, there is a vegan option and many vegetarian options. It’s a small quaint restaurant with very friendly staff.

Rivai

Points +127

13 Feb 2020

Delicious

Really delicious. The Staff was really nice.

lucybelle18

Points +65

05 Feb 2020

A lukewarm experience

Staff not very warm. Food ok. Not really worth going unless you’re in the area and really hungry! Omni bf enjoyed it though!

Pros: Cozy and warm, Caters to Omni people

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Food was 2.5/5

AJ_vegan_AUS

Points +184

27 Dec 2019

Delicious vegan okonomiyaki

Has a 'vegan' menu but a few options aren't actually vegan (egg, cheese, fish), so please pay attention. Staff have good English and you can clarify your preferences on arrival.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Vegan items not actually vegan

DavidLoader

Points +15

18 Dec 2019

Stranger in a strange land

Not obvious from outside, but this place has vegetarian options and English menus. Very friendly staff and food was good.
We had the hiroshimayaki, vegetable noodles, draught beers and sake!

horsegirl

Points +97

19 Nov 2019

Okonomiyaki

SO SO SLOW to come out but it was LIT!!!! Get the tomato one and be sure to specify vegan with no cheese or mayo. It was so good, better than the other vegan okonomiyaki I’ve tried in Tokyo. Also the boys in the kitchen are really cute

sylvita

Points +92

14 Nov 2019

Staff takes care of vegan guests

This place caters mainly to omnivores, so i was really pleased with how well the staff served their vegetarian and vegan guests. Right away, the waiter asked if i was vegan and went on to point out and show me exactly what i could order (one item). I couldnt have any Okonomiyaki as they all include egg, but i did love the yaki udon noodles that they served me. They also gave me a nice bowl of fresh tofu with sauce and onions for an appetizer.

Pros: Clear vegan and vegetarian options, Helpful staff

Cons: Cover charge, but you get an appetizer

KaraLeah

Points +162

03 Nov 2019

Not worth it for vegans - confirmed

Nice decor but the vegan okonomiyaki was very small, very expensive especially when adding tax, and wasn't that tasty. I waited quite some time for it and was pretty disappointed.

Cons: Small portions, Not tasty, Expensive

VPhoenix

Points +105

25 Oct 2019

Vegan Okonomiyaki

Good to have a taste of vegan Okonomiyaki. However the staff tried to cheat on at least 2 costumers with the bill at the end (including us). There is a 220¥ service charge per person (at least that’s what we got charged)
Make sure to check the bill at the end.

Can not recommend the ginger Okonomiyaki. It taste a lot like ginger. Make sure you really love ginger when buying this. ;)

Pros: Vegan Okonomiyaki

Cons: Expensive, Staff tried cheat with the bill

Totallynotvegan

Points +146

23 Oct 2019

Not worth it for vegans

While the food was quite tasty it took an absurd amount of time, and the vegan options were much more slim. The waiter spoke English well and understand what vegan was.

We got there 15min after they opened without a reservation and it still took a full 1 1/2 hours before our food even showed up while we watched them flip four other tables in that time.

The portion was very small and very pricey, especially if you do not make a reservation because you get charged a table fee of 500yen.

Pros: Good taste, Waiter understands vegan

Cons: Expensive, Small portion, Absurd wait time

JordynMary

Points +90

29 Sep 2019

Great place if you’ve missed Okonomiyaki

Vegan Okonomiyaki! I used to love okonomiyaki before I was vegan but never saw a veg version of it before. So I was surprised when I saw this place!. They asked as soon as we sat down if we were vegetarian and pointed to the veggie menu and when I said vegan he nodded and pointed to the 2 vegan options they had. So good! We sat at the bar which was amazing because we watched them cook but beware they do cook meat as well.. so if you don’t want meat being cooked in front of you, sit at a table. This the the Ginger Okonomiyaki fyi.

MooX

Points +37

24 Sep 2019

Excellent care of vegetarians

The food was delicious and the people welcoming.

jol_lee

Points +128

22 Sep 2019

Delicious

Never thought we could experience vegan okonomiyaki so am thankful for that. Waitress understood vegetarian vs vegan. In fact during our visit we saw many people ordering vegetarian.
Ordered ginger okonomiyaki and veg Yaki udon

hannah.jobson

Points +79

22 Sep 2019

Watch them Cook!

Great for veggies (not sure how good it’d be for vegans) as you can tell them exactly what can and cannot go in your food. English menu with ingredients list so you can swap out what you can’t have. It’s seriously delicious! I had the cheese Hiroshima without dashi. The staff are super helpful and understand the diet and have great English. If you sit at the bar (like we did) you can watch them make your food which is very interesting. They also brought a free appetiser which they made sure was veggie too. If you are in Shinjuku - GO!

JackieJans

Points +1076

27 Aug 2019

Vegan okonomiyaki

Contrary to the other comments, YES INDEED you can get vegan okonomiyaki here and it’s DELICIOUS!!!!! They use mountain potato instead of egg, which is the traditional way of making the okonomiyaki😄the owners are lovely and completely understand veganism

Plumesworld

Points +713

19 Aug 2019

Not many options

I was excited when I saw this restaurant listed on Happy Cow as I love okonomiyaki but it's more veggie friendly than vegan as you can't get vegan okonomiyaki. I had the udon noodles with veg which was perfectly passable. Staff had very good English and understood what vegan meant.

buddhabecks

Points +123

09 Aug 2019

not for vegans- good vegetarian options, classic japanese style

they had a clearly labelled veg options, but only 1 style of vegan noodles that were not that great. vegetarian options very good! waiter speaks english well

Pros: tasty vegetarian food, traditional japanese tables

Cons: only 1 vegan option , vegan option not that good

zanscat

Points +78

03 Jul 2019

Okonomiyaki :-)

Cute little restaurant with super friendly and helpful staff. A few nice side dishes too.

Pros: Clearly labeled menu with English

Cons: Didn’t get to cook at the table

justintran

Points +16

17 Jun 2019

Very delicious vegetarian/vegan okonomiyaki

The Staff is very friendly and corteous. They know the differnence between vegetarian and vegan and they ask specifically which ingedrients are ok. The food was very delicious but the servings are a bit small.

katecow

Points +17

07 Jun 2019

Best place for vegetarian okonomiyaki!

Very kind accomodating staff and clear English menu that lets you know exactly what's vegetarian and vegan. Honestly couldn't recommend this place highly enough, I'm not the biggest fan of Japanese food but I LOVED the meal I had there. I would give it 5 stars if the site would let me, fantastic!

Pros: Delicious food, Clear vegetarian and vegan options, Great staff and overall atmosphere

sando25

Points +48

28 Apr 2019

Very accommodating

This place had very nice staff who went out of their way to understand our dietary requirements. We were the only ones there when we went (a bit late) and the food was quick and delicious but a bit pricey. Would recommend if you are in the area.

Tomo Okabe

Points +618

26 Mar 2019

Okonomiyaki in Shinjuku

It’s hard to find vegan okonomiyaki in japan but Zen has done a pretty good job making it accessible for vegetarians and vegans that visit this part of the city.
Although there are not many vegan options and it seems a bit plain but def worth your time and trouble if you are in the neighborhood.
The staff do not speak English well but they understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian so that was pretty nice.

SarahStone

Points +58

07 Jan 2019

Very veg friendly and helpful

Staff were eager to make sure I had plenty to eat as a vegetarian and their menu makes it super easy to check ingredients. Veg udon was delicious and the green tea and plum wine was incredible. Highly recommend.

CandieCat

Points +50

15 Nov 2018

Delicious okonomiyaki

Has an English menu, waitress asked us if we were vegan or vegetarian when we sat down, spoke some English. Even asked specifically if I could eat eggs or dashi. Menu has a vegetarian section. Not sure if there are vegan options.

Had the Hiroshima style okonomiyaki and it was very good! Recommended, I would come again.

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.