CLOSED: Zen Palate - Murray Hill

• Vegetarian

Contact 212-222-2111

516 3rd Ave (at Murray Hill, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10016

Vegetarian restaurant with a few NYC locations; this one is the 3rd of 3. Offers Asian fusion cuisine. Food, drinks, and desserts. All vegan except for the soy ham which contains whey. 2015 REPORTED SHUT, FB CONFIRMED.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Japanese, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Fusion

First Review by andreasnyc

So Disappointing, Don't Recommend - Edit

Our first night in New York and we wanted to enjoy some Asian vegan food so went here. First the waitress didn't seem to know if things were vegan or not. The food is NOT all vegan, they use eggs. I have to say, this was the worst food I've had for a long time. It was fried and gloupy and quite disgusting, and, to be honest I didnt trust my dish didn't have egg inside, even though I'd asked for none. Left most, my husband did too....a waste of $50. Yuk! To top it all my husband had an upset stomach after.

Pros: Can't Think of Any

Cons: Expensive For The Quality, Horrible Food

Try The Zenmaki! - Edit

Wonderful.. finally on my third trip to NYC I have found something awesome all thanks to HC. Healthy and sinful but lovingly prepared. Great service too!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 05, 2013

Pros: Zenmaki, Nice Bar, Great atmosphere

Cons: Very Limited Beer Selection, serves meat as well

New Vegan restaurant with beautiful outdoor spaces - Edit

We went to the newest Zen Palate tonight and we were first struck by the great open spaces and design. This is going to be one of our favorite vegan-restaurants-with-outdoor seating once it gets warm! Looking forward to coming-back and sitting outdoors in the front space off the sidewalk or, even better, in the back along side the huge old tree+mega-vine that still grow out of part of the back space. We also liked the overall atmosphere and the two huge skylights in the back that must let in tons of light during the day.
Our meals were very good, though we both like spicy / intensely flavored food so we asked for some hot sauce which spiced it all up quite a bit. We definitely over-ordered as we both had soups - my Hot & Sour soup was delicious. We then shared the Appetizer Sampler for Two which we quite big and a nice assortment. Then they brought out our main courses. The Temple of Zen was supposedly one of their more popular dishes and was very good. It was nicely / moderately spiced with a visually stunning array of vegetables along with grilled tofu and a garnish of fried kale. The Bankock Fried Rice was beautifully served in a half pineapple and was very good with small pineapple chunks in the fried rice along with the vegetables.
We finished-off our extravaganza with a slice of their Banana Bliss (Banana Cream Pie) which was creamy and delicious. :)
We're definitely going back!

Pros: beautiful atmosphere, good food, outdoor space

Cons: Mild spiciness

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Zen Palate - Murray Hill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2650 times since Jan 2011.