Zen House

03-92867118

Sunway Velocity Mall, Lot B-27, Basement One, Jalan Cheras Maluri Batu 2, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 55100

Vegetarian sushi and Japanese cuisine restaurant located at the mall. Open Mon-Sat 7:00pm-9:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Take-out

First Review by Alina_Kalieva

JAPANESE FOOD! WASHOKU! - Edit

Inside Sunway Velocity Mall, the restaurant contains vary of the Japanese food. Range from Sushi, Ramen, Teishoku (Set meal), Appetizer, and BBQ food also! That was a bad day because I purposed travel 50km to here for the Vegetarian Japanese food and SUSHI WAS OUT OF STOCK LOL...however, I manage find the food I like here. The Cheese mushroom is so expensive and soooooooooooooooooooooooooo tasty. I ordered 2 ramen, and both are just like those stall food in pasar malam hahahaha. The miso soup is traditional japanese tatse, believe me, I live in Japan before. The appetizer, cool spinach with sesame sauce is nice, you should try if you visit. The eggplant/ binjul appertizer, you should avoid, is not bad tatse but not good taste too LOL. Please refer the BBQ food I post in here.

Pros: JAPANESE FOOD, CHEESEEEEE MUSHROOOMMMM

Cons: WHY SUSHI OUT OF STOCK?!!??!?

scarily real plant-based sashimi! - Edit

Zen House is a Japanese vegetarian restaurant in the Sunway Velocity mall.
They use no onion or garlic.
Some dishes contain egg, milk or yogurt but the staff were helpful and pointed out which dishes were vegan or could easily be veganised.
We tried the ham and asparagus skewers (asparagus roll), chicken vegetable skewers (yaki tori), salmon sushi, maguro sushi, avocado sushi and the tempura ebi sushi, followed by the chicken katsu don (the katsu curry here is sadly not vegan) and the yaki udon (least favourite dish - rather oily and pretty bland). The vegan ‘fish’ sushi was definitely the highlight - the texture was incredibly sashimi-like, and the sea-like taste (from seaweed) was mild.

A note of caution. Although the staff were incredibly helpful, we had a long conversation about ‘vegetarian cheese’ as the waiter first insisted some of the dishes used vegetarian/vegan cheese. We asked about the ingredients/brand but he did not know, and after further questioning we established that it was not made from cows milk, but couldn’t confirm whether it still contained casein or whey. He recommended we avoid it to be on the safe side and said that he would try and get the ingredients list from the supplier. This conversation took place after we had ordered (and eaten) the asparagus rolls (with veg ham) - so although we were told all the mock meats and seafood options were vegan friendly, next time I will be double checking (just in case they contain lesser known non-vegan ingredients such as whey, casein or albumin). Will update if/when I find out, but for now, 4 stars for the element of uncertainty.

Great vegan sushi! - Edit

It was interesting experience to eat vegan sushi, that tastes really like fish sushi, but made from vegetables. Tasty! Nice staff. But that place is not vegan! There are milk products in menu ang eggs, be careful!

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zen House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.