Zen Eat Cuisine

+852-28380018

Room 503, 1-3 Wing Lok St, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

禪食堂 at 香港上環永樂街1-3號世瑛大廈503室. Manager states this restaurant is to be considered vegetarian and not all-vegan since use of honey is not precluded. Japanese food. Dinner offered on some days by reservation only. Nearest MTR Sheung Wan exit E1. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, 6:30pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Honey

First Review by ouikouik

Healthy Japanese Vegetarian - Edit

I rang ahead and the lady on the phone spoke English and was friendly.

The entrance to 1-3 Wing Lok Street is tucked away on the adjacent alleyway called Wing Wo street. Take the lift to the 5th floor.

I liked the calm atmosphere. It receives natural light and feels open and airy. It is spacious rather than crammed with lots of seats and tables.

The menu is in Chinese only but the lady described the options in English. All vegan. I chose the set lunch including 3 sides for HKD 98.

The food tasted good, clean and healthy, and I was happily full afterwards. Nice miso soup and soup noodles. I liked the soymilk soup - my first time trying it and it was rich and creamy. Burdock and carrot side had a touch of spice and a satisfying crunch.

They said they are more like a private dining venue in the evening, and you need to call the day before to arrange that.

Updated from previous review on 2018-01-26

Pros: clean and healthy food, calm atmosphere , friendly service

Zen Eat Cuisine - Edit

I was greeted with a gentle burst of light the moment I stepped inside. Though not a big place, nothing was superfluous and it exuded, true to its name, a sense of calmness and spaciousness rare in Hong Kong.

This was also reflected in the tone of voice and demeanour of the two men in charge - gentle, quiet, unobtrusive. I had communicated with them via Facebook earlier on, asking if they had an English menu. They didn't, but said they could translate when we were there. The younger man had written down notes and was well prepared to introduce the menu in English.

A set meal with rice/noodles, soup and tea costs hkd98 (3 sides) or hkd118 (4 sides). The minimum order during lunch time is hkd98. You can also add on other side dishes such as tofu, sushi, desserts or drinks.

Everything is allium-free, and the menu on the day we were there was vegan and did not contain honey. Dishes seemed to be prepared with mostly whole foods and minimum salt and oil. I highly recommend the dish with soy milk soup base, which was rich and so delicious. Portions were just right for me - satiating, without overfilling - and I was surprised when my omni male friend, who had ordered 3 sides plus a tofu, said he was full.

This is the sort of place where you'd feel equally at ease in a group or dining solo. I will definitely be back.

Check their Facebook page for their latest opening hours/dates and menu. Besides lunch, they also have more extensive dinners (hkd380) and zen meditation sessions. Pre-booking is required for both.

Updated from previous review on 2018-01-18

Pros: Quiet, peaceful ambience, Delicious clean food

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zen Eat Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.