Zambrero

( 1 review )

205 Queen St, Central, Auckland, New Zealand

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican fast food franchise. Menu items have vegan options and vegan-friendly sauces are marked. For each meal purchased, a meal is donated to someone in need in a developing country. Open Mon-Wed 10:00am-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 10:00am-12:00am, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by Yolanda

Mexican food with a heart - Edit

I like how for each meal you buy another is donated to someone in need. I liked the compostable takeaway cartons tho the cutlery seemed to be plastic. The guy serving us was lovely. I also liked the location downtown as there was street seating which was great on a hot summer night.
I love Mexican food and it was good food - very tasty. Better than the average Mexican fast food.
What I was disappointed in was the fact that the vegan option was just the same as the vegetarian with the good bits taken out and not replaced. My friend had the vegetarian option so it was easy for me to compare her meal with mine as we both ordered the same thing (classic bowl). For a start she just had more food on her plate than mine because the cheese and the sour cream was generously served and so her dish was mounded with food and mine was not. We both got the same amount of guacamole. She had more choice of sauces to top it with and her choices were the creamy yummy ones and my choices because they were vegan were not. She absolutely loved her meal and I would have loved mine too if it was piled with all the yummy stuff that hers was piled with.
So although the food was good, I could not help but feel a bit resentful that yet again the vegan option is one where they take the non vegan food out but they don't give you anything else (except for the guacamole but then my friend had that in her vegetarian dish anyway) and they charge you the same. Also, it was not a big serving of beans (certainly not bigger than my friend's serving) and most of the container seemed to be lettuce so I was hungry sooner because there wasn't enough food to fill me up for long.

Pros: friendly staff, nice food, they give free food away to people in need

Cons: disappointed there was no vegan extras, same price as non vegan food for less food

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zambrero closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.