CLOSED: Yummy Cupcakes - Santa Monica

• Bakery Bakery

Contact 310-393-8283

313 Wilshire Blvd (at 3rd St), Santa Monica, California, USA, 90401

Dairy/egg cupcake bakery with locations in Southern California. Offers a large selection of regular cupcakes, with 2 vegan cupcake flavors each day. Accepts custom vegan cake orders. SHUT DOWN SUMMER 2013. Open daily.

First Review by SynthVegan

Ate a vegan cupcake here - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Yummy Cupcakes review.

I walk by this cupcake shop from time to time. It's located in the 3rd Street Promenade shopping area in downtown Santa Monica. Finally I went it and bought a vegan one.

On the day that I visited, the 2 vegan flavors were apple and vanilla. I opted for the apple. Cost $3.50 out-the-door.

The cake part was nice, spongy, and moist - I liked that. The frosting, however, was much too sweet for me personally. But I guess others like very sweet.

The space and decor at this location is very basic, more like a kitchen than a shop.

Pros: 2 vegan flavors

Cons: mostly dairy

vegan cupcakes! - Edit

On the particular day I went, the two featured vegan cupcakes were vanilla and french toast. I got the french toast which was just delicious. Sweet but not overkill. Nice balance of frosting to cupcake. But the thing that stood out the most was how light and fluffy it was. Vegan cupcakes in my experience tend to be dense. This was just divine, no way to tell it was vegan. The shop itself is also cute, and the girl at the counter was friendly. Yummmy!
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 02, 2011

Pros: best cupcake ever

Cons: only 2 vegan cupcakes daily

YUMMY CUPCAKES! - Edit

I've been to both the Santa Monica and Brentwood Yummy Cupcakes locations and my overall opinion is...the name says it all, Yummy Cupcakes! They're really fantastic! Yummy Cupcakes makes the best vegan cupcakes I've ever had up to this point in my life, your non vegan friends may very well say the same thing.

Yummy Cupcakes has a vegan menu on their website consisting of 48 different vegan cupcakes. Unfortunately they don't carry all 48 everyday; rather, they alternate their menu daily and carry about 2 vegan cupcakes a day. I'm sure you can special order the other flavors for a special occasion if need be.

If you only want to visit a fully vegan place, Yummy Cupcakes is not for you, as they carry many non vegan cupcakes. That being said, Babycakes would be the closest thing to compare to YC. However, I've been to both and I feel that the vegan cupcakes at YC blow Babycakes away. If you go to YC definitely try the vegan red velvet or the chocolate vanilla, they're pretty amazing.

Return to Santa Monica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Yummy Cupcakes - Santa Monica closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 350 times since Mar 2011.