CLOSED: Yuan Jue Hui Guan

Contact 021-32200733

900 Yuyuan Road, Changning District (at Jiangsu Road), Shanghai, China,

Upscale and modern Buddhist-style vegetarian cuisine; no onion or garlic but does use eggs and dairy. Prices vary from cheap to very expensive. Located inside a gated property just steps away from Jiangsu Road metro stop exit 1. Restaurant name in Chinese is 圆觉会馆, address 长宁区愚园路900号别墅(近江苏路). Reported closed to HappyCow. Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese

First Review by sglcklch

Passable, could have been better - Edit

My partner and I had dinner here. It was alright. I forgot to ask if they used MSG and it turned out they did. The food would have tasted much better without it. Also some dishes were a bit greasier than I would have liked. All that being said, the seaweed fried rice had an amazing briny taste to it, was quite good. The tofu slabs that were served with a black pepper sauce was interesting as well, crispy on the outside and creamy, almost custardy on the inside.

Portion size was not big but enough for 2-3 people to share. We ordered six dishes, no drinks and paid around 250RMB in total. We didn't get any of the expensive items though, so your mileage may vary.
It was located in a gated mansion right by Jiangsu Road metro stop exit 1, super easy to find. Decor was traditional and clean. Actually it didn't feel so much like a restaurant as a couple of dining rooms inside a building. Service was very friendly. Our waitress was really patient with us in explaining the menu and answering all my questions. All in all it's worth a try, just make sure to tell them not to put MSG and perhaps use less oil.

Pros: service, location

Cons: MSG/oily

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Yuan Jue Hui Guan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 215 times since Sep 2012.