CLOSED: Yin Yang Fandango and Tango Tea Room

Contact 361-883-9123

505 S Water St, Corpus Christi, Texas, USA, 78401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Since December 2010 menu features more vegan and vegetarian dishes. Teas, light food menu, and Moroccan lounge. For sandwiches with cheese, vegan can ask to omit. Live music and community drum circles in evening. JUN 2015 REPORTED SHUT, WEBSITE NOT WORKING Closed Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Non-veg

First Review by Killertofu

Many options - Edit

There aren't many vegetarian or vegan options in most Texas towns, so one with a solid understanding of veg*n needs is wonderful. My fiance's veggie burger was very tasty, and my raspberry chipotle tofu wrap had a lot of flavor. All the entrees come with free chips and homemade salsa. On most dishes the cheese must be ordered separately, so you don't have to worry about finding some accidentally. The vibe of this place definitely skews towards hippie; I thought it was fine, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Be forewarned: there are only about 6 parking spaces in front of this place, so you might have to park far away and walk in.

Pros: Many options, Flavorful food

Cons: Not much parking, Slow service due to few staff members

could be cooler - Edit

Food is good, staff are nice, they run out of a lot tho. Has potential to be sweet vibe place but is dark and drab inside and sometimes not very clean looking. It is about only vegan vegetarian place in the area

Best Selection in Corpus! - Edit

I had the Seitan Pesto Wrap the other day and it was delicious! I was so pleased to find a place in South Texas that had a whole menu full of things that could be made vegan. That seems to be really rare in the area! It's definitely my first stop next time I am in town. :)

Pros: YUM!, Lots of Vegan options., Nice atmosphere, Cozy.

do not go here!!! - Edit

This place was so awful. First of all - it was DIRTY! I mean disgustingly filthy! The bathroom was nasty and didn't even have a lock on the door! All the floors were dirty as though it was never cleaned... ever. Which made me wonder about the kitchen. The food was under cooked (a veggie burger!) and tasted old and freezer burned. The girl who took our order was so spaced out she kept forgetting what we ordered. When i asked for a soy chai she said she just used the last chai and she'd have to brew some more - but she said it like she'd be put-out to have to make some more. So I asked how long it would take - she said 15 or 20 minutes. After 40 minutes I asked about it (this was after she came back to our table to ask us what we had ordered to drink because she couldn't remember) and it still wasn't made! But beyond the space cadet - this place made me want to go get my shots after visiting. Why did I eat there? I'm still asking myself that question! PLEASE - DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS PLACE! It's GROSS!

Pros: none

Cons: dirty, forgetful staff, under cooked food

not as good as they used to be... - Edit

I've been very dissapointed with Tango Tea Room the past few visits. I'd always brag about how awesome this place is but when it went under new ownership it starting falling apart. Last time I was there I got the tofu pesto wrap and the tofu was very soggy. The pesto was super watery and a soggy tortilla..it was gross. It seems like they hire new cooks all the time..and they really dont know what their doing. AND whenever i get carryout they seem to forget something (salsa, silverware, ranch etc.) I used to love this place because its one of the few veg friendly restaurants in town but now i dont even want to waste my time or money.

Pros: nice atmosphere, good desserts

Cons: food, unprofessional staff

So Glad We Fould This Jewel! - Edit

My husband and I were visiting Corpus Christi for his business and on the LAST day found out about this jewel of a place. It is so wonderful! It is inviting, both for meat lovers, vegetarians and vegans (as well as many gluten-free options). There was a great selection on the menu. I had the roasted vegetable sandwich, which was perfect-with some pesto on the bread. It was so delicious! My husband had the avacado tacos and fries and they were equally enjoyed. The Moroccan themed ambiance was so peaceful and nice at lunch. We looked around at the adjoining shop and saw essential oils, clothing, jewelry and such. Really cute. There is also a courtyard outside where I think you can also eat if you so choose. I understand that there is live music (drums) at night in their Moroccan themed lounge. My ONLY disappointment is that we found out about this great and friendly place as we were headed back home! Oh well, we will be back next year and I will eat there every day we are in Corpus! Can't wait to try all of the yummy offerings on your varied menu!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Fresh and great food, Friendly service

Best in Corpus Christi. - Edit

Try the Mediterranean sandwich w/vegan-pesto. 3 out of 3 different staff members were knowledgeable about which ones can be made vegan, and never received any "non-vegan surprises". Would be better to have vegan soy-cheese instead of omitting the cheese (or do a free substitution from cheese-to-avocado in Mexican dishes). I could drink the exotic teas all afternoon in the courtyard. Good choice of vegfoods from various cultures so everyone's tastes/mood should be covered. Yeah they ran out of the seitan when I was there too. Great desserts.

Pros: always fresh, tasty, zesty food, nice courtyard, the TEA selection

Cons: not many \, (best for lunch i.e. mostly finger-food)

Best place in Corpus - Edit

(Copy and pasting my review from Yelp, after first visit) I almost didn't try this place, I've lived in Corpus since September and the first time I saw their menu online, it didn't sound appetizing. Maybe they switched their menu or I did a poor job reading it, but the menu seemed to only have dry sandwich type food (whole grain bread with lettuce and sprouts, items lacking flavor). I decided to check out the site again and the menu seemed totally different (like I said, that totally could have been my fault). They have SO much to choose from for vegetarians and vegans. I grew up in Southern California and became a veg 5 years ago, I had more veg*n friendly restaurants there than I do here (no CPK, all veggie restaurants/cafes, many Mexican food places use lard/chicken stock, no Chipotle, Baker's Drive In, etc).

I live near Staples and Saratoga, the drive to Fandango is easy and worth it. Plus, it's located right by the bay, very nice place to walk around and has a beautiful view. It's not a giant building, but it's not a hole in the wall place either. My guy ordered the Vegetarian Philly Cheese steak and I ordered the Avocado tacos. We paid and sat down. About 10 minutes later, our order was brought to us.

Both meals were absolutely delicious and came with chips and salsa. My avocado tacos were good and when you add the mango pico de gallo, they go from a 7 or 8 rating to a 10. Don't leave it out! The black beans had nice flavor as well. As for my guys Philly, it had a good texture and good flavor. It was served with a spicy house sauce. Our meal came out to about $17 with tax, not bad. The portions were big enough to share, but since it was our first time, we wanted to try 2 meals.

Since that first visit, I've been back many times. The hummus is absolutely delicious (had the trio, the other 2 were good), as is the roasted vegetable sandwich. The nachos were a little soggy, but flavor wise, good. I've also had the tortilla soup (special), Traveler Burger, Vegan Carrot Cake, and Chocolate Cake. I've yet to have anything there that I didn't like, both cakes were AMAZING. The only cons: once they're out of seitan, it's gone for the day, it's closed on Sunday, and I've waited up to 35 minutes for my food before. Overall, love this place.

Pros: Great Selection, Delicious meals/desserts, VERY friendly/helpful staff

Cons: Closed Sunday, Can be a long wait, Seitan Runs out

Great food - Edit

I ordered more than I could eat because it all looked so good. Given that my plane was delayed by 5 hours, it all worked out well. I had two great meals plus a vegan dessert. Highly recommended. What a find--I was impressed.

Pros: peaceful

Always tasty! - Edit

I have been to this place over and over for good reason! The food is always tasty and the service is always amazing. Sometimes it is a bit slow but the food is fresh and made when you order it so that is to be expected. The menu has expanded over the years with more and more veggie/vegan options. They even have started making their own seitan in house! The veggie chili is amazing on cold days! I bring in my meat-loving family quite a bit and they love it as welland even eat there without us now. The staff there is amazing and super friendly. There is also a great shop attached so you can browse while your food is being created. ***Locally owned and operated***

Pros: great food, lots of choices, fresh!

Cons: not close enough to my house

Amazing!! - Edit

The Tango Tea room has many vegan options. The food is all fresh and delicious. They even have vegan deserts including a carrot cake, a chocolate-peanut butter pie and a couple cookies!!! They make the BEST hummus ever. Friday's special is the Thai Coconut Curry and it is a must have. The staff is wonderful and the atmosphere is fantastic. Don't skip chilling out in the Moroccan lounge with a pot of tea or try eating in the courtyard under the stars.

Pros: yummy and healthy food, weekend entertainment, unbeatable atmosphere

Cons: closed on Sundays

Return to Corpus Christi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Yin Yang Fandango and Tango Tea Room closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3135 times since Aug 2007.