Yew Restaurant

Contact 604-692-4939

791 W Georgia St (at Howe St), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6C 2T4

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upscale restaurant has a separate vegan menu for both lunch and dinner, including things like truffle mac and cheese made with daiya cheese, saffron risotto, tacos, coconut pana cotta and more. Located in the Four Seasons Hotel. Please ask if vegan menu is available for brunch. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by kimward8

Wonderful - Edit

Had dinner here our last night of vacation. Have to ask for the separate vegan menu... but no issues, it was brought right over.

Very very good food, and being at the Four Seasons... the service was absolutely spot on.

They had vegan bread ready to snack on, and brought us vegan dark chocolate after dinner. Just a great overall experience.

Pros: Delicious food, Beautiful interior, Top tier service

Cons: Expensive, but should be no surprise., Very small menu, but less is more?

One of the best - Edit

Menu seems to have less options than when I was there a year ago. But still, it's a fantastic vegan dining experience.

Also, the grilled vegan bread is some of the best I've ever had.

nice to sit down to a nice meal - Edit

It can be hard to find a nice sit down restaurant for vegan options beyond a salad. Yew has a dedicated vegan menu and is a nice place to eat. It's great to bust away from the cafés and markets and dine out. Great food.

Pros: vegan menu, nice atmosphere, sit down dining

Cons: not cheap

Delicious vegan food (in its own right!) - Edit

Dinner at Yew exceeded my expectations. I was so impressed, I ate there twice throughout my brief Vancouver trip.

First off, it was really refreshing to see a separate vegan menu with a few different choices for appetizers and mains. Even better...the dishes were creative and full of veggie goodness. No boring pasta dishes or salads in sight!

Highlights for me were the asparagus with celery root puree (appetizer) and the spicy quinoa and kale (main). Both were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Best of all, it didn't feel like the dishes were just a bunch of vegetable side dishes thrown together, or a dish from the "regular" menu with the meat/fish removed.

I should also mention that I have a bunch of food allergies and they were able to accommodate me without any hesitation. I felt very comfortable eating there and the servers were all very knowledgeable and friendly.

Pros: Seperate vegan menu, Accomodates food allergies, Inventive dishes

Cons: More vegan desserts, please!

Good option - Edit

Went to Yew to try another option downtown Vancouver.The food was pretty good but not amazing.
We had the tacos and asparagus salad for starter. The asparagus salad with mushroom and celeriac puree was the best dish of the night. The tacos were nothing special, although they were fresh and tasty enough.
Then we had the saffron risotto and the artichoke dish. Both were good and different.
We had the brownie for dessert. I would have preferred it warm.
On the whole the food was good, the presentation was beautiful but we weren't blown away especially for the price.
The risotto is $20!!
The room was beautiful but the crowd was trying a bit too hard to be hip and we felt uncomfortable as vegans in there.
We were lucky to have a great server who had vegan knowledge as well.

Also, the smell of fish and cooked meat was a slight turnoff.
It was great to try a new place but we prefer to stick to veg restaurants when we go out.
The final bill was pricey! Will we go back? Maybe, but probably not in a hurry.

Pros: good service and knowledge

Cons: expensive

A great addition for Vancouver vegans - Edit

I took an omnivorous friend to YEW for lunch. I started with the tacos which were very rich and tasty and beautifully presented. I then had the roasted vegetable sandwich with salad (also tasty, but not as 'high end' as I would have expected at YEW) and finished with a coconut pana cotta with pineapple and quinoa which tasted very nice. I'm already booked to return for lunch and will try other items. I'd definitely like to try dinner and would recommend it to both vegans and omnivores.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, beautiful room

Cons: can be noisy, a little pricey

Fancy vegan food! - Edit

I went here for lunch. We had truffle mac&cheese, vegetable curry (which is actually not just vegetable curry, it has chick peas in it), and tacos. They were all really good.

I don't really like truffles, so I don't think I would order the mac&cheese again, but I understand that it makes it more fancy, and that lots of people do like truffle flavour.

The curry was really good, and the tacos were also very tasty. I would definitely take omnivorous family and friends here on special occasions. I also look forward to trying the saffron risotto on the dinner menu. The only bad part was the waiter insisted on telling us about the steak sandwich special even though we had already asked for vegan menus!

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yew Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.