CLOSED: Yes! Veggie

• Vegetarian

Contact n/a

Dohány u. 1/b (at /opposite Dohany St Synagogue), Budapest, Hungary, 1071

Falafel and Hummus bar located opposite the largest synagogue in Europe. Seating inside and out. Free Wi-Fi. Previously named Hummus Point. AUG 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern

First Review by veganlondon

Good and convenient - Edit

We were wrapping up a day of sightseeing and finished with the synagogue so this was a perfect location. Had felafels. They were good. Nothing fancy, service was fine.

Pros: Location

Wasn't Open - Edit

I picked this restaurant after a long day of traveling because I thought it would be open until 22 (which is what this facebook page said: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yes-Veggie/261218823989845?id=261218823989845&sk=info), but when I got there around 20:30 it was closed and I didn't see any hours posted. Because there is furniture inside, I assume it hasn't gone out of business.

Cons: Needs to post accurate hours somewhere!

Quick and easy - Edit

Yes! Veggie sells street foods such as falafel, wraps, veggie burgers etc. You are quickly served and it is reasonably cheap. Good central location, opposite Dohany Street synagogue, near Astoria Metro station.

Pros: Quick, Easy, Cheap

Cons: Limited

Dismaying - Edit

Quite good dishes , no more, but staff very bad...
No customers, the staff was 3 persons, we wait over 30 min just for falafel plates...the guy ask us 3 times to reorder, and when he finally arrives, it was'nt the good order..we were alone in the place...dismaying

Cons: staff, organization

Rather expensive - Edit

My friend and I ordered a plate with a bit of everything, not too large though, and 1 ice tea and lemonade. The bill was 6000 HUF. The same amount food at the competitors' would have cost half of it. The food was nice actually, but the price, a bit too high for Budapest. It is probably because the place is just in front of Europe's largest Synagogue.

Pros: Central, Good food

Cons: Expensive

Unhygienic, overpriced and disappointing - Edit

I don't think my standards are that high, but I guess if you can do a PhD in archeaology on the food stains scattered around the walls where you sit, then something is wrong. The lady that served me first checked the garbage bin with her bare hands to see if there was still a pita bread left. Then she said: "oh, we still have one!" and got it from someplace that I couldn't really figure out, also without having first washed her hands after rummaging in the bin with them. One falafel costs 990 ft, which for what you get is too much really. I would not recommend this place unless everything else is closed.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 24, 2011

Pros: location (that's all!)

Cons: hygiene, efficiency, price

very tasty - Edit

Super convenient location, all vegan, fresh and tasty food. We especially liked the olives, flavored with preserved lemon, mm. Friendly owner. Another plus was that they had good Hungarian beer. The pitas could have been better, but they were tasty enough, and everything else was great.

Pros: fresh food, nice range of options

Cons: few tables

Falafel - Edit

Standard but tasty Falafel. Great for a lunch snack after a tour of the Synagogue.

No prices on the menus in the outdoor area but they are listed on the wall inside. Also you have to remember what you ordered when you need to pay as they don't have a till.

Convenient hummus falafel bar - Edit

This vegetarian restaurant is conveniently located opposite the Dohany St. Synagogue so is easy to find. I had the falafel and salad in pita. Perhaps a little pricier than that at the Hummus Bar Kertesz branch but the decor here was nicer and more modern and one could sit outside. Downside was I had to wait about 10 minutes for my falafel - this really should not have taken so long. The food was fine. Served on paper plate with plastic knife and fork, but after all this is supposed to be fast food.

Pros: Convenience, Can sit outside

Cons: Had to wait for food

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Yes! Veggie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 294 times since Jul 2010.