First Review by Kelsurfs

delightful - Edit

I went to Yellow on a Saturday night, when they offer only the prix fixe tasting menus — which was fine, because that's what I was looking for. I ended up having the seven-course menu. [Note: the dishes were slightly different from what was listed on the Web, so don't expect an exact match.] The menu is not cheap, though not absurdly out of range by Sydney and Australian standards.

The menu was outstanding. I've had multi-course veggie tasting menus in several places, and this was one of the two best (up there with a Zen temple meal in Kyoto). Several of the dishes had a lightly Japanese flavor to them, but not all, and it was a hint, not very pronounced. The dishes were creative, tasty, and fun. Also, the seven-course meal was *very* filling (not a given, at many tasting menus!).

I have only one complaint about Yellow.

When I called they were happy to take a reservation until I said it was for one person, at which point they said they were full up and could only seat me at the bar. I understand: you want to save your tables for couples and groups, not lose money over empty seats. I get it, and I'm okay with that.

However, it turned out that they were not full at all. Three tables near me lay open the whole time (and more seemed to be open outdoors). Given that they took reservations for 6:00 and 8:30 and I was there until about 8:00, it's not like I left before those patrons arrived. Now let's even give them the benefit of doubt and assume they really were full, and really did have three groups cancel on them. It would have been a basic courtesy to, after a while, offer me one of the tables instead of having me sit for two hours on a backless bar stool while staff kept brushing past back and forth to the kitchen. It would have been a small but decent gesture (given that they don't charge any differently no matter where you sit), and their failing to do so was an unnecessary lack of courtesy that was inconsistent with the price point.

Pros: outstanding food, pleasant location

Cons: expensive, should have been more customer-centered

Beautiful food and wine - Edit

Had a great night here with the 7 course vegan degustation. Really beautiful food, excellent wines.

If you are looking for a fine dining experience, know that they do pack people in and it's a busy, buzzing place so not really a romantic dining experience but we had a fantastic night nevertheless!

Pros: food and wine and great service

Cons: tables very close together and not much time betwe

Top notch vegan food - Edit

We went here based on recommendations and weren't disappointed. The 5 course vegan degustation menu was delicious and varied. I paired each course with the juices which I thought was a great idea as an alternative to wines and although delicious found so many juices a bit too heavy. My partner paired the wines and again was impressed by the selections but found so much wine with relatively light food a bit too much. However the main reason for our visit was the food and it was amazing from taste and variety to presentation and freshness - enjoyed every mouthful!

Pros: 5 star food for soecial occasions

Cons: Staff not very cheery; paired juices a bit too hea

Get a booking - Edit

Yellow is one of my favourite places to eat in Sydney. It is a real treat to be able to look at a full menu and want to eat it all. The degustation menu with matching wine or juice is amazing. Each here once and you will eat here many times.

Pros: excellent service, great wine, awesome menu

Cons: parking can be tricky

Return to Potts Point Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yellow closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.