Yaya's Thai Restaurant

210-525-8894

8085 Callaghan Rd, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 78230

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food restaurant with a few locations in the area. The owner, Yaya, is accommodating. Many entrees and currys could be made vegan upon request. Try the eggplant delight, tom kha soup, or green curry. Note that the coconut ice cream contains dairy as well coconut milk. Lunch specials 11-3pm. Confirmed open, Oct 2016. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Thu 4:30pm-9:00pm, Fri 4:30pm-10:00pm, Sat 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Suz

Nice Thai food, veg friendly - Edit

In a seriously carnivorous city where vegan and veggie are still pretty novel, Yaya's serves some fresh, tasty veggie dishes. This is a small, family-owned and run enterprise. Yaya, herself, is the owner and main cook.

Most of the entrees and curry dishes can be made vegetarian, however, you may have to request NO fish sauce in the prep. (For a long time, I didn't know about that.)

Some of my favorites include Eggplant Delight, Tom Kha (soup) and Green Curry. I always ask for extra veggies and no tofu in my Tom Kha. ($1 extra... great deal!) I also ask for brown rice instead of white. No extra charge.

My veggie chef husband loves the summer rolls (appetizers), Eggplant Delight, Pad Woonsen and Red Curry. He appreciates the variety of veggies. He especially likes how they cook tofu "just right".

A glass of sweet plum wine can be a nice complement to your meal.

Yaya's serves two different locations in San Antonio. The original restaurant at 5305 McCullough Ave is open every day and has a more traditional, warm, artsy atmosphere.
The second location at 8085 Callaghan Rd (at I-10, near Sprouts) has a cool, classy, more modern feel. (FYI... A third location, opened briefly in Stone Oak, is closed.)

Both locations offer patrons a clean, comfortable, relaxing and romantic dining experience in a beautifully Feng Shui'd space. You can enjoy your meal and be in no rush to leave.

Daily lunch specials 11am - 3pm Mon-Sat at both locations.

Our local San Antonio Vegetarian Society (SAVS) once had a spectacular dinner meeting there at the Callaghan restaurant. Yaya provided us the most wonderful family-style meal, serving us bowls and bowls of many different vegan dishes. Then she generously offered us the scrumptious leftovers to take home. Such a delightful evening we spent there!

Asian restaurants don't usually offer a large dessert menu and Yaya's is no exception. My husband and I often share sticky rice with mango. We enjoyed the homemade coconut ice cream until we found out it had *dairy* in it, along with the coconut milk.

If you're looking for a relaxing, filling, healthy veggie meal in an easy, spacious and comfortable (romantic, even!) setting, try Yaya's. And tell her HappyCow sent you. She's not really sure what the HappyCow stickers I gave her mean! She smiled and seemed pleased, however. And put them right up.

Your turn to let her know and leave your own comments here. Thanks! http://www.yayasthai.com/

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-21

Pros: Fresh, high quality food, Clean, comfortable, classy atmosphere, Friendly and willing to accommodate

Cons: Occasional language barrier when asking questions

Return to San Antonio Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yaya's Thai Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.