Yats - College

• Veg-friendly
Contact 317-253-8817

5363 N College, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 46204

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several locations in the area. Has a separate vegetarian menu with occasional vegan dishes offered. Ask to use only vegetarian sauce.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Cajun, Creole, Non-veg

First Review by berserker29

Large portions and vegan options every day - Edit

Yats serves large portions (always get the half plate! It's still too much food!) and offers something vegan every day. My only complaint is that sometimes the food gets a bit monotonous. That said, Yats is a great option and it's nice to have something for reliable, fresh, cheap vegan eats.

Pros: Vegan options, Cheap, Large portions

Yummy! - Edit

I love this place so much, and the location on College Ave. is perfect for the Broadripple area. My first true love here was the Spinach and Mushroom Etoufee. It's creamy and spicy and just amazing with the bread they serve on the side. I have since moved out of Indiana, but every time I come back to visit, I HAVE to go there for more. Next time, I'm buying a lot of it to freeze and keep for a while so I can get my fix whenever I want.

Pros: Unique dishes, Very friendly staff, Affordable to starving artists

Cons: Not enough parking, Very busy location

Super delicious! - Edit

Love, love, love Yats! They have various options that change daily. They always have a vegetarian option, but not always vegan. The B&B (black beans & caramelized corn) and Spinach & Mushroom etouffee are veg, the Succotash and Vegan White Chili are vegan. One time the B&B showed up under the non-veg section, and I asked why, and they said they used chicken stock that day. I definitely appreciated their honesty! My faves are the B&B and Vegan White Chili. Vegan White Chili is rare on the menu, but if they have it, definitely get it! Super yummy. Downside is that this place is super small, and seems a bit dirty at times, but I love all of its character. I took my mom there once thinking she might be a bit freaked out by it, but she loved it also. She was also impressed by the owner. They had just recently stopped accepting credit cards again, so I didn't have cash, and the owner told us to just pay him back next time we're there! My mom has some cash on her so we were still able to pay on that occasion, but I always hear the cashier say to newbies who don't have cash that "we accept cash, checks, and IOUs." It is super affordable to eat here, you get a huge plate of food for under $6. I usually take half home with me. Whatever they put on the bread is ridiculously delicious, but not vegan, so if you're vegan ask for no butter. The downside to Yats is that they rely on styrofoam cups and plastic cutlery for even dining in.

Pros: Ridiculously delicious, Cheap, Honest when it's not veg

Cons: Small, Sometimes needs a bit of cleaning, Styrofoam cups, plasticware

Yats - Edit

Yats has very good dishes-some veg/some vegan. Once when we went to the Broadripple Yats we ordered the vegetarian dish and on the board it said some kind of sauce was in it. We asked the owner what that meant and he said it had anchovies in it. So we asked for our money back and the owner asked us "What will happen to you if you eat it." If it isn't vegetarian then don't market it as that. Hopefully he stopped adding that sauce to the vegetarian dishes. Aside from this 1 bad experience they have tasty dishes and good service.

Pros: Service, Tastes good

Cons: May not be 100% vegetaria

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yats - College closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1995 times since Aug 2007.