Yaffle Cafe and Bookshop

Contact +44-7799815083

11 Morledge, Derby, England, DE1 2AW

Upstairs from Sound Bite whole food store. Serves range of hot snacks like toasties, organic beans on toast, soup, plus vegan ploughman, daily specials, all day breakfast. Regular meal nights and other evening events. Also a book store selling second hand books, plus Social Change library. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, British, Catering

First Review by cowsarevegan

Disappointing - Edit

The staff were lovely and it was a nice cosy place, surrounded by interesting second hand books - heaven for me. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with the food we had. The other options might be better, but didn't seem very inspiring - vegan sausage, cheese and bread featured heavily on the menu. Sadly no healthy options (eg salads, fresh veggies) when we were there. A real shame because I don't like to leave a critical review - the people were so nice and the intentions good.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice community feel, Interesting second hand books

Cons: Disappointing food

pleasant little vegan cafe - Edit

I have become a regular here ( at least once a month), when i am shopping for vegan food at Soundbites shop ( below Yaffle Cafe).
It's a nice little vegan cafe, surving lovely vegan brekfasts, and home-made soups and a choice of 2 main courses a day. Food is homely . The cup cakes are delicious and the guy who runs it, is a lovely chap. My only suggestion is to provide some vegan puddings please.

Updated from previous review on 2015-07-21

Pros: vegan, nice homely food , ethical

Cons: could do with more puddings please

Guaranteed Vegan - Edit

I come here regularly and have never been disappointed.
No frills just damned good vegan food.
I love the cheesy bean toasties but the soups are also exceptional.

Pros: 100% vegan. social change library. chilled atmosph

Cons: none. its an oasis in a desert of animal consumpti

Love it!! - Edit

This place is wicked - atmosphere is mega, food is cool, lots of different teas!! And best cup cakes on the planet

Pros: Quality food, Good atmosphere, Great staff

Cons: not open sundays, not next door to my flat, not next door to my work

Snaffle it up - Edit

Nice place just up the stairs from Sound Bites Wholefoods serving a decent vegan breakfast consisting of toast, beans, veggie sausage, tomato, and mushrooms for £5 with a hot drink. That's a bargain. I wouldn't get there right on opening time as they tend to start rustling things up a little later than scheduled but that tends to be the norm for a lot of veggie places. This is a positive thing as it shows a relaxed and informal approach. The shop downstairs is definitely worth a visit too where vegan delights await all who enter.

Pros: friendly, good value, decent choice

Cons: ease of access

Okay - Edit

Checked this place out as I was visiting my girlfriend and in the area, was excited as always when checking out a new vegan place, but have to say was massively disappointed.

I don't know if it's because I'm used to the Manchester offerings of V Revolution or Mods, but this place honestly just didn't cut it for the price. It was like a mate making you some lunch at their place, but you were paying an eat out price for it. Small portions and a really strange service, felt like the guy wasn't sure if he knew what he was doing...

Struck me as the kind of place that the meat eating majority would have a field day on, the typical "hippy indie vegan cafe" type thing, although I wouldn't have minded so much if the price matched the food.

Pros: Vegan food, Jenga, Vegan ice cream

Cons: Overpriced for what it is, Too quirky for it's own good, Food badly presented

Nice, inexpensive, quirky - Edit

Went here for a first date. I had the soup, he had a toasted sandwich. Food was nice, the café was like a jumble sale with books and games everywhere but it all added to a quirky ambience. The cakes on display were tempting!

Would definitely recommend and visit again

Pros: Low cost, Simple, non pretentious food, Quirky surroundings in the cafe

Brilliant Vegan community Cafe - Edit

We were driving up the M1 and used the HappyCow app to find the nearest vegan-friendly place rather than stopping at a service station to have overpriced rubbish! Recommend this to everyone as we found Yaffle!
Yaffle is a totally vegan cafe above the vegan health food store, easy to find in the town centre.
Nice, laid back atmosphere with activist books and zines to browse (some to borrow and some for sale) and a nice menu that included a roast, all day brekkie, vegan ploughman's, toasties and cakes.
Friendly service and scrummy food.

Pros: All vegan , All day breakfast, Chocolate Tiffin

Cons: None.

Just ok... - Edit

Very small cafe on the first floor above Soundbites shop. The kitchen area is tiny and you need to pass through here to get to the seating area. General feeling was that the cafe needed some improvement, a lick of paint and some cleaning required.
The menu is all Vegan which is great to see, it is not extensive but there is a good choice available. Service was a little hectic, only one person serving and cooking, smoke alarms going off due to burnt food.
The food I had wasn't particularly tasty and didn't really inspire me to make a return visit soon. I'd probably pop in again if in the area and stuck for lunch but it wouldn't be on my "must visit again" list personally.

Pros: All Vegan menu, Above a well stocked health food shop, Friendly staff

Cons: Cleanliness, Food was just ok

Relaxed Atmosphere and Great Food - Edit

If you're ever in Derby, Yaffle is well worth a visit. Like the shop below (Soundbites), everything is vegan and invariably delicious. They do some excellent soups, toasties and cakes, great comfort food - I'm a fan of sausage and beans on toast! It has a really nice chilled out atmosphere, the staff are lovely and there are some fab books to read in its social change library. Yaffle is also open for dinner on Thursday nights, and the food is mighty fine! I'm already looking forward to my next visit...

Charming and welcoming - Edit

This was on our list to check out after looking up vegan options in Derby on happycow - we are so pleased we picked it. It's upstairs above the small natural foods store called Sound Bites, just a short walk from the Strand. It's a small apartment converted into a restaurant so when you first walk in you are in the kitchen and then up a few more stairs to the dining area where there are loads of books as part of a radical lending library and informative brochures and magazines to browse. The woman who greeted us was friendly and welcoming and helped us out since it was our first time there. It's very informal and feels like you are at a friends house and they are preparing lunch for you. We opted for 2 orders of the breakfast special (which she prepared even though it was afternoon). £5 for toast, beans, veggie sausage, tomato, mushrooms and a tea, coffee or juice. Such a bargain for a nice hot meal! I mentioned I avoid eating a lot of gluten even though I'm not strictly gluten free and she was kind enough to go downstairs to Sound Bites and grab a gluten-free sausage for me. It took a while to prepare but it was worth the wait! In the meantime we browsed through a few books and magazines and enjoyed our time. It is all vegan, and my omnivore partner and I loved every bite!

Yaffle - Edit

Really friendly and sweet staff. I like the atmosphere and the food is great! There are felt tips in a pot on the table, so you can colour in or something if you wish. I doodled in my notepad whilst enjoying my irish stew

Return to Derby Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yaffle Cafe and Bookshop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3870 times since Jun 2010.