Xianghaiyue Vegetarian and Drinks

Contact 0871-5171567

near 620 Beijing Road, 8th floor, Kunming, China, 650021

Chinese name 香海月, address 北京路交三桥摩玛大厦一期A座A809. A small vegan restaurant with a terrace that has also a small shop for vegan bakery inside selling biscuits and bread. May be difficult find so bring the Chinese address with you. It's located in an apartment building a few hundred meters from the old location on Qingnian Road. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Bakery

First Review by Encrypted

Friendly, but greasy... - Edit

Really nice friendly people, but the restaurant is now inside a small apartment with only two tables. The food is soooo greasy... They deep fried both dishes I ordered, even the green leafy veggies! They seem to focus on mock meat - there were very few "vegetable" dishes...

Pros: Friendly

Cons: Greasy Food

Great food, great atmopshere! Worth the search. - Edit

I would really recommend the food its not too expensive and delicious!

It was a little hard to find, but worth it. We went at night, if you set out early and check it out in the day, it might not seem so daunting.

When you are near the zoo, walk along the river behind the building, then you find a big building with 2 big doors, go through the open one. We saw a green sign with the restaurants name on it, then went up to the 3rd floor. If you do go at night, clap in the corridor to turn the lights on, we didn't realise this and walked through a dark corridor to the outside, where you go down steps and see the building.

it was quite busy when we arrived as lots of families were having early new years get together there.

When we sat down a young girl started to talk to us, and introduced us to her parents and cousins, who were all vegan as well. We talked about being vegan in china. Also a couple said hello to us and a monk who was eating there too. The friendly atmosphere was lovely.

The lady who served us was spoke great english as when we ordered they didn't have an english picture menu, so we just told her what we fancied and she suggested a few dishes for us. We were a bit worried of the price ordering blind. We ordered a very spicy but delicious tofu dish, Pak Choi with mushroom and fake meat - amazing, some spring rolls and a soup, I warn you the soups are huge!

We also got a big bottle of orange juice and I picked up some bits from their shelf. It all came to 100 Yuan, we were expecting it to be a lot more!

They offer some bread goods such as; Peanut biscuits, rolls, filled buns, coconut pastries and bread.

Pros: 100% vegan, tasty food, inexpensive

Cons: hard to find, menu, limited seating

Great place-great food! - Edit

The restaurant is not that big (4 big tables + 3 small ones) and it's very simple in the inside but the food is really good and the staff is amazing. If you ask them to eat outside they'll probably agree (ask the boss).
They have a quite big menu and a lot of the dishes are really good. I've tried almost every dish. For a while I went there every day.
For now the menu is just a list of chinese names but soon they'll have a nicer menu with big pictures (I'm working on that for them). But they will help you choose, no worries.
The staff is really nice. There is one lady who speaks very good english and can tell you a lot about veganism, the food, meditation, whatever you want. And the boss is a great guy too. If he is there he will probably go there say hello. All the staff is 100% vegan and very serious about it. They don't even go to non-vegan restaurants with non-meat dishes.
I've learned a lot in this place and always had a great time.

The problem is that the place is not easy to find.

How to get there:
It's opposite of the zoo (as in the map) and then you have to walk along the river behind the buildings. You'll see a parking entrance and you keep walking. Just after there is a big door and a few meters further, another identical door to enter a big building. You get inside this one and take the elevator to floor 3. Then you get in the corridor and turn left and go to the end. The restaurant is there, in the outside of the 3rd floor. (I'll be posting soon a few pics so you'll see how to get there).
And that's the reason why there is not too much people, it's too difficult to find. At lunch time there is not too much people. Dinner time on weekends is usually full.

Pros: Amazing staff, great food, 100% vegan

Cons: difficult to find, no dish pics (yet)

Return to Kunming Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Xianghaiyue Vegetarian and Drinks closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1152 times since Sep 2011.