First Review by JChan

Good - but nothing special - Edit

After reading the other Happycow review of this restaurant, I was prepared for a great experience. I was disappointed. The dish I ordered, tofu, mushrooms, and vegetables in a brown sauce, was good, and the vegetables were indeed fresh and lightly cooked, but I didn't think it was anything special. I'd actually rate it slightly below a 4. This is in spite of a number of signs around the restaurant proclaiming that it is internationally renowned. I looked at other dishes and they didn't seem particularly inspiring, but I was alone so I ordered only one dish. My dish was very reasonably priced at 32 rmb (about $5 US) with rice. Part of the problem is that the menu is in Chinese with no pictures. I speak some Chinese so I told the waitress generally what I like and asked her to recommend a dish. I don't understand why a vegetarian restaurant at a major temple would not have pictures on the menu. This is really customary in China. There are more than 25 tables and while I was there I would say that it was two-thirds full. It does not open for dinner until 5PM. This restaurant is located on the east side of the grounds of the Nanputuo Temple. Personally, if you are in this area, I would head for the nearby Da Fang Vegetarian Restaurant which I think is much more of a gourmet experience at roughly the same price (slightly nicer ambiance and you can order beer if you drink). It's quite nearby.

Pros: visit the temple, fresh vegetables, clean and pleasant

Cons: nothing special

A place to visit in Xiamen! - Edit

This place makes possibly the very best Chinese vegetarian dishes anywhere in the world I've been to. The materials are fresh, the taste is never powerful, the dishes are never showy, but the combination of different tastes and the creativity in designing the dishes is simply delightful. One feels the cook really cares about the food he prepares. One doesn't feel stuffed after the normal round of dishes (usually 8-10) are all savored. Michelin should give it at least 2 stars for the excellent cuisine, because the ambiance though very pleasant may not be what the French think it "should be." The restaurant is quite large is space and the decoration is modern, private, lighting is muted and cozy. The service is efficient. This is a place no vegan should miss on a visit to Xiamen!

Return to Xiamen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Xiamen NanputuoTemple closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1006 times since Apr 2009.