World Peace Cafe

Contact 0116-2620317

Nagarjuna Buddhist Centre, 17 Guildhall Lane, Leicester, England, LE1 5FQ

Serves vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free food. Coffee, specialty teas, homemade cakes (usually one vegan option for cakes) and healthy snacks. Cafe is attached to Bhuddist centre, and run by volunteers. Relaxed surroundings, nice wooden floor and decor.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Take-out, English

First Review by GreenT

Nice place for a quick bite in central London - Edit

I stopped here for a quick lunch whilst I was in town for work recently. The menu was more basic than I was expecting - salads, sandwiches and baked potatoes whereas I thought that they might have a selection of wholesome hot, fresh meals as per a lot of other Buddhist eateries. The baked potatoes weren't on as it was too hot (I think the oven contributed to even more heat and it wasn't good working conditions for the staff). I wanted something lighter anyway, so opted for a falafel wrap, as the salads were quite similar to what I would usually make myself for lunch. It was really nice, my only issue being that it came with sweet chilli sauce which I don't think goes that well. I finished off with a slice of vegan cake which was delicious. I will definitely go back and try out some other dishes.

I think the staff are volunteers so not all of them were au fait with the systems, but that's really not a big issue - especially if they aren't working in there that often! There were posters and leaflets for lots of regular events & workshops too.

Pros: Location, Good value

Cons: Quite a plain menu

lovely peaceful venue - Edit

Great little place tucked away in the city of leicester. It is vegetarian but caters very well for vegans. Delicious vegan items on menu and runs a Meditation and Meal every month. Definatley my favourate place for a coffe or lunch when in leicester.

Pros: vegan friendly, delicious food, meditation centre

Overtaken By The Pram Brigade - Edit

Used to be very nice but it got very busy so they made it smaller! Noisy, fill of goods and the menu is very static. The staff are counted and I'm afraid it shows. If they aren't paying staff then it is quite expensive.

Pros: Reasonable Food

Cons: Noisy, Expensive

Fantastic cafe with a great atmosphere - Edit

I love this place, but it's become so popular recently that there's hardly ever anywhere to sit at lunchtimes. Not complaining though as this just shows how good it is. I always get the vegan ciabatta, which contains olive tapenade, avocado, tomato and roasted mushrooms and comes with lots of dressed leaf salad. It sounds like a bit of a weird combo, but tastes amazing. That, a dessert (they usually have a vegan option - generally amazing chocolate biscuit cake) and a drink usually comes to less than a tenner, which is amazing value really. The cafe is situated in a lovely old building which has been converted into a Buddhist centre. It's a lovely light and airy space, so a really pleasant place to eat, although like I say it can get a bit crazy in there at lunchtimes. If you need some peace and quiet afterwards though I highly recommend Leicester cathedral over the road opposite to sit in and digest your meal (it has one of the most beautiful cathedral interiors I've ever seen).

Pros: High quality food, Nice building, Extremely cheap

Cons: Busy at lunchtimes, Service can be rushed

Return to Leicester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has World Peace Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2572 times since Mar 2011.