First Review by Jemima

Not a bad experience - Edit

Cool location overlooking Neal's Yard near Covent Garden. We had a beetroot salad and Egyptian falafel to share. It was tasty and well priced. The service wasn't particularily friendly but no complaints here. Would go back.

Terrible service and boring food - Edit

On a previous occasion I had had a very nice chocolate cake, so was looking forward to my meal. However, one of my group got served before me despite arriving later. I later discovered that this was because he had been given my main course! I was served with his main course, which was tasteless. By the time I realized this it would have been too late to get a replacement. I told the waiter, who did nothing. When I got the bill I asked that this mistake be taken into account in what I was charged. The waiter said he was unable to help me. I asked to see the manager, but was told by the waiter that I would have to go to him. When I calmly and politely explained the situation to the manager he interrupted me, refused to listen, talked over me and told me that I should have noticed that there were no beans on my plate. He was very agitated, angry and rude. I would certainly not recommend this restaurant to anyone. If you are vegan the available options are very limited and this no longer includes the chocolate cake. The meal came to nearly £20 for 2 mediocre courses and a drink, so is also very poor value. There are lots of vegetarian eateries in the area that understand the concept of customer care, so don't waste your money here.

Pros: Outdoor seating

Cons: Terrible service, Boring food, Limited choice for vegans

Bad times at World Food Cafe - Edit

I had a 12 hour layover in London, I was excited about finding a vegetarian restaurant near the British museum. I located World Food Cafe through Happy Cow and it was a bad experience. The server was unhelpful and unfriendly (later, much to my surprise, I learned she was the owner), I asked her for recommendations since it was my first time in this establishment, she was in no mood to suggest anything. I sat at the bar overlooking the kitchen, one of the prepares was constantly blowing her nose into a tissue then handling food with her unwashed hands, she definitely had a cold. I observed my server cut a pie, lick her fingers then cut more pie... and so on, she might as well been licking the entire dish. My food was brought to me and set down abeam the empty seat next to me, it didn't make sense but my server was oblivious to most things around her. The food did not taste good and I was never asked how I was doing, I actually was ignored the whole time... and I was the only customer in the restaurant! I signaled my server to pay by waving my credit card, she would not take it unless I stood directly in front of the cash register even though I was only sitting a few feet away. My bill was 9.90, she refused to take my credit card because the bill was less than 10. It was an all around bad experience and my excitement of being in London for the day quickly evaporated.

Cons: bad service, bad food, not clean

Best in Covent Garden if you can catch it - Edit

In the Neals Yard courtyard next to Neals Yard Remedies and a massage place. The entrance is through a blue door which you will spot easily if it is shut which it is most of the time. When it's open you go through the doorway upstairs and it is at the top of the first flight on your right. A big bar in the middle is where the food is prepared. You can sit at the bar which borders this or there are tables around the rest of the room, some next to the big windows which look onto the courtyard. They are quite large tables so you normally have to share the tables with other diners.

It is a blackboard menu with changing items from different parts of the world. I had an Indian curry with rice. Predictably the spice was weak but it was a decent curry.
On another occasion I had a cheesy tostada/ wrap which was tasty too. I have had herbal tea there.

Cutlery has sometimes been wet, they need to dry it properly to ensure it is totally clean. Service has been a little slow at times but alright.

Value was decent with lunch under ten ₤.

Pros: Decent food, pleasant location, atmosphere, decent value

Cons: Very short opening hrs, Often need to share tables, Cutlery needs to be clean/dried better

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: World Food Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.