Woody's

• Vegetarian
Contact 01442-266280

19 Dickinson Quay, Apsley Marina (at Dickinson's Wharf by Grand Union Canal), Hemel Hempstead, England, HP3 9NQ

Organic vegetarian restaurant. Pleasant space with pine tables and views of the canal. Live music some evenings. Directions: By train, Apsley BT station is just across the road. By car Apsley is on the A4251 either from the magic roundabout in Hemel town centre or on the A4251 from M25, junc. 20.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Take-out

First Review by Jo Kay

Very Disappointing - Edit

We were very excited to try out Woody's, as our local vegetarian cafe. The menu was disappointing, as it only listed one 'vegan optional' item. Upon asking, we found out some more things were vegan and ordered several things to take away. However, it was very clear that they do not want to make their products more vegan and animal-friendly, including non-vegan garlic bread (could just be subbed for vegan margarine rather than butter easily), putting PLAIN tofu instead of cheese on vegan pizza?, and just one of the many cakes was vegan. The servers were not very friendly when we were asking questions and seemed more annoyed that we were vegan rather than trying to answer our questions (even though we were very friendly ourselves!)

We confirmed everything would be vegan while ordering. When we got home, we first noticed our large (and rather expensive) salad was very small and very plain. The burger was nice, but to our horror came with a HUGE serving of coleslaw. When we called the cafe, they half-laughed about it and said 'well everything else is vegan!' We were so horrified that a vegetarian cafe which should take the needs of clientèle seriously did not care at all that we, as vegans, were stuck with a whopping serving of dairy-filled coleslaw. Needless to say, we were all shocked and won't be going back to Woody's any time soon!

VEGANS, STAY AWAY!!

Pros: burger was good (but not vegan!!), Nice outdoor seating, one vegan cake

Cons: Very few vegan items, Non-vegan food in our vegan food!!!, Rude staff

A main Is ok as a snack, - Edit

Food is ok not the best vegen food I've had, but hears the problem the size of the meals are very small! U know the sort it looks good but u just need more! On my last visit i was charged £1.50 for 30g of rice. Once i ordered two mains and a desert and still left hungry! I don't mind paying the high prices but u must be full after.

Pros: Nice Staff, Location

Cons: Expensive , Very small Meals

Attractive location, but left unsatisfied - Edit

We are a vegan family of 5, visiting the UK from Israel, and were thrilled when HappyCow directed us to this establishment in an absolutely adorable setting on the canal. The restaurant is extremely attractive, and the waitstaff were very friendly, even offering to seat us despite all the tables being reserved later in the evening. There were a few vegan options among the mainly vegetarian dishes, and we ordered a selection to share with the kids, including the soup of the day, the nut burger, and various crepes. Boy were we disappointed when the food arrived! The soup tasted as if the chef had accidentally spilled the black pepper in it - it was impossible to discern any other flavor and my mouth was on fire. The crepes were dry, tasteless, and only lightly filled with vegetables, despite the fact that we ordered all three vegetable options for each one. Thankfully, the burgers were really tasty, but unbelievably tiny for £9 each. We decided to skip dessert, and probably won't be back again. To be fair, this restaurant has tremendous potential - its heart is clearly in the right place - and we do hope they improve in the future.

Pros: Attractive location, Friendly waitstaff, Healthy ingredients

Cons: Not enough vegan options, Small overpriced portions, Not very tasty

Pleasant place - Edit

My parents live nearby, so I visit this place fairly often.

We normally go for coffee and cake or a light lunch in the daytime, but last visit we went for an evening meal instead. They don't have a separate evening menu but it seems they may add extra or different options to the several 'specials' chalk boards on the wall. I chose one of these, a vegan (and gluten free, though I'm not bothered by gluten) stuffed pancake and salad. The pancake filling was tofu and vegetables in a coconutty Thai-inspired sauce, very mild, but quite fresh tasting and good. The side salads included some tasty red cabbage with a caraway-flavoured dressing, which went reasonably well with the pancake although they're not a classic flavour pairing! My parents shared a vegetarian pizza and large salad. I think they usually get a small salad, and didn't seem to think there was much difference between the sizes so it might be worth starting with a small salad and then ordering another if you feel it isn't big enough.

Woody's always have at least one vegan cake in the display cabinet, which is banana and chocolate. It's good, but I'm not a massive fan of bananas in baked goods, so I'd rather they made a plain chocolate cake once in a while. Last visit I also saw a gluten-free vegan dessert (I think it may have been refined-sugar-free too).

They usually have a good range of interesting drinks, including organic vegan alcohol (stout, cider etc.), and I had a very nice apple and rhubarb drink.

Pros: widest range of vegan options in Herts, Pleasant location, Use local/seasonal ingredients sometimes

Cons: Need more vegan desserts!, Chairs not that comfortable, Some tables a bit cramped

Great dinner experience ! - Edit

Can't recommend this gem of a restaurant enough, its lovely location, friendly service and of course, delightful food.
Found it the last night of my visit...sorry it was not sooner.
All success to them,
Ethan

Pros: Excellent food, lovely service, nice magazines

It was ok! - Edit

My friend, my partner and I took a late lunch at Woodys recently. My non-vegan friend had a lasgne with garlic bread, my partner had a vegan pizza and I had a vegan savoury crepe with salad.

The staff were very helpful, understanding and resourceful. There are however two negative things I'd like to highlight.

1) There were not enough vegan options. It seemed that our options were quite limited, however they did have vegan cake which is always a bonus.

2) They didn't seem to know what to flavour things with if there wasn't cheese in it. Whilst my food was ok, it was quite bland due to lack of flavourings.

I would recommend the place and will return in the future, although I might order something different.

Pros: Vegan cake and ice cream, Reasonable, Good staff

Cons: Not enough vegan options, Food needs to have more flavour

Great Vegetarian Restaurant - Edit

I have eaten at Woodies many times. I have always enjoyed it. It's not a chain so don't expect the standardisation of an Ask or a Wagammas standardised experienced - but then that occasional quirkiness is one of the things that makes it special.

Pros: Great food, Positive, Good pricing

Cons: Cant think of any

Lovely - Edit

Good place with lovely food and cakes. Regular menu with changing specials. Caters for almost any variation you fancy. The curry is supurb. Nice location by canal and marina. Busy with locals and office staff so may need to book at lunchtimes unless you are early. Cost can mount up if you go in with good intentions and sucum to temptation.

Pros: Good food, location, service

Cons: Cakes are too nice

Lovely Jubly - Edit

I live near to Woodys and have been there many many times. I love the vibe. The staff are so relaxed, perhaps a little to relaxed a times, but it doesn't really matter. The food is always lovely and they are happy to alter most receipies to vegan if they can. The local cat visiting is always a delight to see by the big windows overlooking the canal.

One thing that I see as both good and bad is the chance of getting what you ordered. Whenever I go with a friend or family memeber there is alwyas a lottery between us to see who get something differing to their order. It never matters though as the food is always great.

Definately visit this place if you get the chance.

Pros: Tasty food, House cat, Vegan Friendly

Cons: lax staff at times

lovely food but.... - Edit

We visited with a small party and found the food to be great especially the pizzas.. We like the fact that you know you will not find any meat inclusions in our food but was disappointed that we were charged a non optional service charge without prior notice and after presenting our card for payment, which is not legal and the attitude that followed left a bad taste in our mouth

Pros: nice pizzas, lovely smoothies , great location

Cons: shared tables , one unmannerly member of staff , only found one toilet

Delicious - Edit

I have been to Woody's many times and the food has always been delicious. The staff are lovely and they always have a good selection of cakes, the chocolate one is especially yummy. Virtually everything on the menu can be veganised. Pizzas are yum, good selection. A plate of salad is scrummy, different flavours and textures, but my sister had the mozzerella salad a while back and it was surprisingly small. They had a good selection of ice creams, really interesting flavours like lavender and chamomile, but they weren't vegan. There are a variety of crepes, both savoury and sweet, including wheat-free and herby.
I love it there, it's relaxed, friendly, delicious. You can pop in for coffee and cake, pick up an ice cream as you walk along the canal, or go and enjoy the yummy grub.
It's a 3 minute walk from Apsley station, and is right next to a marina and a canal, so lovely to sit outside on a sunny day. Very reasonable prices too.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive, Relaxing atmosphere

Cons: Not many vegan cakes, No vegan ice cream

Return to Hemel Hempstead Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Woody's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2733 times since May 2008.