NuVegan

Contact 202-232-1700

2928 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20001

Vegan restaurant in the Howard University/Park View area. Offers vegan soft serve, raw food, soul food like mac n cheese and biscuits, fried chicken and different mock meats. Brunch service on Sunday. In Jul 2013 it launched also a food truck which serves food around town - check its webpage for updates. A brief history: est. in the mid-2000s as Everlasting Life which became Woodlands Vegan Bistro then NuVegan in 2015.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Take-out, Caribbean, Catering, Soul food, Southern American

First Review by JonJon

A must go in DC! - Edit

My first stop in DC and don't regret it! The place is big and you have a tremendous choice. Everything is vegan and looks good. You'll have generous portions at a reasonable price. My friend had his meal reimbursed because it has been served late. Very professionnal behavior and friendly staff. Food is good and their fruit juices are great! I had a very good burger with tuna pastas. You should stop here if you're in the area!

Pros: very good food, friendly staff, fair prices, 100% vegan, generous portions

A-mazing food - Edit

The food in this place can't be better.. The quesadillas were the best we've ever had.. The menu is huge and very well-priced / big portions.. I'd go back anytime I had the chance! Friendly staff too!

Pros: Variety, Portion size, Taste

Yummy food - Edit

We were visiting family and went here. They are so nice. They offered us samples. My omni son liked it so much, he asked to go back the next day.
We both had chick'n. The sides are amazing. We both got smoothies that were so good. Must visit if you are in this area. Vegan soul food rocks!

Pros: Lots of choices, Lots of seating

Cons: Little bit pricey

Vegan Southern Comfort - Edit

If you want that old time Southern cooking, with all the "health benefits", only vegan, this is the place. I classify it as not to be missed for the vegan tourist to Washington DC. NuVegan has created a theme and done it well. I didnt find the customer service considerations as did other reviewers. I would come again.

Pros: Every Southern dish you can imagine, only vegan!

Cons: I think they use a lot of oil. I don't know that

Loved it! - Edit

It was a cool experience getting to order vegan food from a hot bar. That was a first for me. The food my family and I ordered was "comfort food" and we were pleased. The breakfast sandwich was the highlight of our trip. Other delights were the breakfast potatoes, mac and cheese, sausage, and waffles. We liked everything.

The atmosphere was pleasant and all of the employees were really nice and helpful. The restaurant was very clean and the staff was quite attentive.

My only complaint is that the ordering/paying process was a little confusing. You have to go all the way to the back to get your food then to the front to pay and dine.

Pros: Tons of options Delicious Healthy options + comfor, Friendly service

Cons: Confusing layout

Good Food, Not Great Experience - Edit

I really wanted to love this place, and I would give it another shot if in DC, but my experience was not great. The ordering system was confusing to me, and the space in the back where you order was very cramped. We were there for brunch, and both my husband and I picked one of the brunch entrees and two sides. His was pre-prepared and given to him right away (breakfast sandwich), and they said they would bring me mine after I sat down, and it took almost an hour. They were not even all that busy. However, my vegan omelette was very tasty, and the mac and cheese was okay. The desserts looked great although i didn't try any.
I really felt like I should have been warned that my food was going to take such a long time, and that they should clarify their menu and ordering system. I went back to check on my food while waiting and no one apologized or gave me an idea as to when my food would be ready.

Pros: All vegan, Good food, Big menu

Cons: Not good service- extremely long wait, Confusing menu/ordering system

Best Food Yet - Edit

Not to be missed! Just random pick from Happy Cow. WOW, everything was truly amazing! Southern soul food but vegan! I encourage even non vegans to try it.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Price

So good! - Edit

I had an incredibly delicious meal and cookie when I went here. I got the buffalo chik'n drumsticks with greens and chickpea salad. My friend and I did not leave a crumb on our plates. Even though I don't live close, I plan to make another trip there very soon.

Pros: friendly staff, fresh, delicious food, atmosphere

Cons: smoothies very sweet

awesome food, lots of selection, great people! - Edit

I went a bit out of the way but it was so worth it! The food was great and they had several desserts. I would highly recommend this place for Vegans and their friends!!

Pros: lots of choices

comfort food - Edit

I can't believe that I've never left a review for this place. Whenever I'm over by HU, I make certain to stop off here for something to eat. There are plenty of choices and I don't believe I've ever had something that I didn't like. Depending on when you visit, the line can be long (same with the food truck during the work week). I was informed that their loyalty card only works at the restaurant location, not for food truck purchases.

Pros: variety, friendly staff, street parking

Good if you're close by - Edit

We went out of our way to find this all vegan restaurant and were a bit disappointed with a few things... We couldn't see the menu till we got to the front of the line and then had to hurry up as others needed to be served. The atmosphere doesn't exactly feel welcoming and the food was slightly overpriced for the kind of neighbourhood where they're located. Bottom line - this is a good place if you're hungry and you're in the neighbourhood. Otherwise I would give this one a miss.

Soulfully good - Edit

Best restaurant soul food in the district area. This is cozy, tasty comfort food veganized. Think creamy Mac & cheese, eggplant Parmesan, warm moist cornbread, sauté greens; now go beyond the visualizations since it's all vegan! Good desserts, too. Dine in, take out, and they have a food truck usually found on the east end of the mall, near the capital building.

Pros: Vegan comfort food, Amble affordable portions, Restaurant & food truck

Cons: Parking, Distance from my home

Def a fav - Edit

I've been eating vegan food on Georgia Ave for over 10 years and love that there is still a place I can go to for good, comfort food, made by people who care. BBQ tofu, Mac and cheese, greens and yams are always top on my list when I want some good soul food. Love the cold bar with all the different salads as well. Kale and seaweed salads are bomb.

Amazing delicious creative food! - Edit

Nice ambiance, friendly and professional staff. You can take your time and ask for suggestions at the self service counter. VERY big portions, even the half portions for me European were very generous. Thanks! Food was fresh, tasty, and not at all heavy even if some dishes were with loot of different ingredients but so well combined and blended. Definitely I would recommend it and I am looking forward to try it out again next time I am in DC. Thank you!

Good Ole Comfort Food - Edit

Call it comfort or soul food, but either or your appetite will be fulfilled once you leave this café on Ga Ave not to far from Howard University. Comprised of a hot bar, juice bar, raw bar and fast foods (fried), Woodlands offers a little for everyone. I used to go all the time when I first converted in 2012, but today it’s a rarity because I’m looking for more whole foods consisting of the majority of fruits, cruciferous green veggies, salads and whole grains. Also, I avoid oils at all costs but Woodlands seems to lather everything heavily with it. And the amount of sodium they use is extreme. The hot bar is changed daily with things like vegan lasagna, mac n cheese and fake meat meals such as Meat Loafs. I try to go with their raw menu like the chickpeas and seaweed salad. Fried chicken or fish fillets can be had for anyone missing the taste of just that, fast food.

Pros: Lots of variety, juice bar a plus, raw bar is ideal

Cons: heavy usage of cooked oils, fried foods, sodium heavy

Amazing food! - Edit

This is definitely one of the best vegan restaurants I've been to! I loved my meal of vegan mac & cheese, fried chick'n, and collard greens. The mac was the best I've ever eaten (non-vegan included) and I still think about almost a year later :) If only I lived in D.C... I would eat here all the time!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Unique vegan soul food - Edit

We absolutely love this neighborhood establishment. The food is great, and varied from very healthy to very comfort-y. There are TONS of different options. The ordering system is only a tiny bit confusing the first time. You can order from the pre-made stuff at the counter or you can order off the menu. The space is huge so it's a great option for brunch if you have large groups or small children who like to run all around. The only major downfall is that they don't have coffee :-( (They do have decaf.)

You have to go here if in DC - Edit

If you are in DC, have taste buds, and especially if you're Vegan, you have to go here.

Get the fried chicken sandwich.

Ask about the ice cream. I barely see anyone order it, and it's amazing. My husband and I aren't even the biggest frozen dessert people, but we were taken aback by how good and fresh the soft serve ice cream tasted.

Get anything, it is all delicious. As long as you get the mac and cheese. That's their thing and it is, in fact, really good.

Seriously, if you are in DC, I don't care if you aren't nearby, this is the one vegan experience you have the trek across town for. You can walk from the Columbia Heights metro. You can take a 70 bus or one of the 70-something buses that run up and down Georgia Ave./7th Street (7th Street turns into Georgia Ave.). These buses run from the National Mall, through Chinatown/the Verizon Center.

Parking also isn't terrible on the weekends. There's usually some parking on Georgia Ave or on Columbia Road, the cross street.

Admittedly, the system for ordering is confusing. You have to walk all the way to the back to order, the line isn't quite organized, and then you pay at the cash register. But the staff is really friendly and helpful if it's your first time ordering, especially if it isn't too crowded.

Look them up on twitter to see where their food truck is!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 04, 2015

Pros: DC's Best Restaurant

Cons: You will wish you had it where you live, May cause you to speak in hyperbole, Confusing system for ordering

Amazing Vegan Soul Food - Edit

I LOVE this place. It's spacious, relaxing, and best of all, the food is amazing. The day I was there, they had vegan General Tso's style tofu, which I had with vegan mac and cheese, and green beans. I wanted to try many more dishes, but frankly, the portions are so large, that there was just no way, and I was by myself. You get a lot of food for your money, and it's the kind of food you can sink your teeth into, if you know what I mean.

The next time I'm in the DC area, I am definitely going back, and next time, will try even more amazing dishes. If you're in DC, don't miss out. The food is down-home incredible.

Pros: Great food, large portions, Friendly service, Spatious

Costs Less to Eat Here than Cook at Home! - Edit

Woodlands has become a weekly favorite of ours. You can't eat so much and such good food for less anywhere in the vegan world. Plus, the staff are very sweet and the ambience is lovely.

Pros: Great food, You get your money's worth, You leave relaxed

Beyond Amazing - Edit

I was lucky to have time to stop by Woodlands for a few items on the go. I ordered the black bean burger/wrap, cheesecake and cinnamon rolls. Everything was beyond amazing. The black bean burger/wrap was very flavorful. The cheesecake and cinnamon rolls were unbelievable - my non-vegan family members also loved them.

The ordering process was a bit confusing but the staff was very friendly and helpful.

If I am in the DC area again, I plan to have all of my meals at Woodlands.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly staff, Large dessert portions

Delicious! - Edit

I was worried about receiving rude service after reading some of the reviews but the service was warm and friendly. We were greeted by a worker behind the drink/bar area and he asked if we have visited before. We said no and he explained the ordering process.
We got the Salisbury steak platter with broccoli and potatoes, three orders of wings (one for there and two to go), and Oreo cheesecake. Wanted tofu nuggets but they didn't have them. Everything tasted amazing!
We specifically went for the DRUMMIES as we sampled them at the last Baltimore Vegfest and they were scrumptious! The breading is thick and tasty and the texture is fabulous!
The food was delicious, menu was diverse, atmosphere was nice, and prices were decent. Just wish it was closer because DC traffic sucks, but we'll take metro next time!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 29, 2014

Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 29, 2014

Pros: All vegan, Delicious, THE BEST DRUMMIES/WINGS!!!!

Cons: Parking, Out of nuggets : (

YES! - Edit

The food here is SO GOOD! I wish we had been in town longer, we would have eaten here every day! We both got the fried chicken sandwich (so crispy! so yummy!) and shared sides of fries and mac and cheese and greens. The mac and cheese was just ok, I don't know if it was an off batch because they are supposed to be known for that. We shared a piece of strawberry cheesecake for desert. It was the best vegan cheesecake I've had!!!
The only thing I didn't like was the confusing service. You go in the back and wait in line and I guess you can order from a menu to? But there were none in evidence and when a customer in line asked the woman behind the counter was like "OUT FRONT" so rude. She was also rude to every customer that came to the counter. We got taken care of by the man behind the counter and he was very nice and explained things since we were from out of town and again, there is no indication for how to order, what comes with what, prices, except for the one laminated menu we saw in passing. But I would still come back, the food was so good! I only regret I didn't have room to try one of their milk shakes.

Pros: chicken sandwhich, cheese cake, amazing food

Cons: rude worker, a little confusing

Just Incredible Vegan Soulfood - Edit

Absolutely delicious. We had the Mac& Cheese and the Fried Chick'n Sandwiches and were in awe the entire time.

The sandwiches feature crispy soy chick'n fried to perfection and a fresh slightly sweet bun. Even our friend who eats meat is a regular here for these sandwiches. They taste too good to be true!

Plus, the staff is very friendly and there are a ton of options for every palette.

I get it about once a month - Edit

which is about as often as I visit any restaurant. It's amazing, but not healthy. If you want healthy, go elsewhere. Here are some of the choices I like there: Mac 'n cheese, fish sandwich, fried chicken sandwich, salisbury steak.

They have a rotating menu, so some things are not available every day. For me, this is a huge plus because it increases the variety at a restaurant I go to often. I usually get the food to go and eat it at home, because it can be noisy inside. It has a juice bar, a feature that is inherently noisy.

Pros: Excellent food, good prices, good variety

Cons: noisy

Worth all the money I spent there :) - Edit

I'm from NYC and visited there in June with my wife, I am vegan and she is not. So I did my research on this place and liked the reviews, I aslo looked up another place to eat for another day but never made it there because this place was sooooo good. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. I spent $90 between us two ($25 went to our sweet tooth lol)and it was worth evry penny. Like I said I was gonna go somewhere else the next day to give the other place a try but we decided to go there for breakfast on Sunday and it was worth it again. This is the place to go for all vegan and non vegan lovers. If and when I'm in DC again this will be a must place for me to eat. Btw you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. 5 STARS

Pros: Warm wonderful and helpful service, Delicious food, Clean eating area

Cons: No cons only pros

Sweet Almond Cream - Edit

It's a pleasure to discover a fully vegan eatery close to where i'm playing. This place was just a 15 minute walk from the 9:30 Club. I had the seitan beef with broccoli and a salad of crispy green beans and sesame seaweed. For dessert, i had an almond cream shake. It was very sweet, but sometimes that's okay. It's kind of weird how there's a few T.V. screens on the wall, switched on, with the sound down, but apart from that i thought this was a great place. There's lots of choice at the buffet and an extensive menu of shakes and freshly made juices. I'd definitely come again.

Pros: Lots of choice, Lots of seating, Big portions

Cons: T.V.

Amazing! - Edit

Wow this place is awesome!

While visiting D.C., four of us swung by here for Dinner on Friday night and loved it so much that we returned for Sunday brunch.

This is a cafeteria style eating establishment with a rotating menu so obviously we didn't get to try everything, but everything we did try was great. I especially recommend the Shepherd's Pie, broccoli, Waffles, biscuits, "cheesecake", and breakfast sandwiches.

The pricing is also very reasonable

Pros: Great food, Great prices, Friendly staff

So good and so bad - Edit

Why oh why do I not go here more often? This place is vegan food glory at some of its finest in that southern comfort food style, with the fat, salt, sugar and calories to match.

Have you seen their menu? Have you seen their mac and cheese? Have you seen their cinnamon buns??? DC locals, you know there are some pretty good cinnamon rolls out there, and I had thought they were all just about the same and had never bothered to try one from here…. umm, I was kindly corrected the other day when purchasing a WARM frosting glazed confection overflowing in a (plastic) to-go-container. $4 gets me THIS? I was so pleased at the texture and flavors, I vow to never settle for another DC area cinnamon roll. It was that good. Plus, the size allows just about anyone to eat some now and some later. Seriously, it must have weighed at least 1.5 pounds, it was massive!

As for the food, the prices are alright, but who cares, the food is so good! To see what they have ready to go, walk on to the back and see - check it out, and well, you will leave with more than you had planned to eat…. The hot sides and entrees are before you, so take your pick a la carte or mix it up. I advise purchasing either a melange of all sides or if an entree is your desire, add sides to bring cost to something reasonable. On varying days they have varying meat analogues like seitan or chicken, but, thankfully, they always have the mac and cheese! Cooked veggies include collards, beets, spinach, mashed potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, you name it! It changes, so go frequently - or order off the menu a sandwich-like concoction if you have the patience to wait for it amidst all the amazing presentation before you!

For brunch, they have tofu scramble, meat-like sausages, waffles, pancakes, french toast, burritos, sandwiches, tofu, seitan, veggies, breakfast potatoes and cinnamon rolls. Oh wow. So good. You will not be disappointed!

They have cookies and cakes to go - though they don't hold a candle to the cinnamon bun! Order smoothies - yum, with almond, soy, hemp or rice milk - or juices - great way for those in need of their daily fix(es).

There are also cold sides that are raw and cooked - Asian noodle salad, seaweed salad, spinach salad, pasta salad, marinated artichokes, garlic kale, ginger collards, parsley surprise, caribbean chick pea salad, beets, couscous, mushrooms, string beans, quinoa, etc. I personally love getting 3 sides to go!

This place is super casual but delish!

Pros: Selection, 100% vegan, Cinnamon rolls

Cons: Calories, Too many menu choices, Too tasty = overeating

Completely Vegan...Totally Amazing! - Edit

This restaurant is completely vegan. However, that's not a problem since all of the food is soooo good!

My first visit was with my husband on a Sunday afternoon for brunch. I'd heard first hand of how to conduct yourself in this restaurant-grab a menu, go to the back/kitchen area or wait in the line, get your food, you can eat first pay later or vice versa- so that wasn't a problem for me. However, there were no menus so we used the somewhat visible one on our phone. No matter. We ordered brunch!

Turns out, the food was so good, my husband had to ask me, 'Are you sure this is all vegan? There is no way that this mac-n-cheese is this good!'

We ordered the Ginger Spicy Tofu (yum) with mac-n-cheese, kale salad and broccoli with cookies for dessert. We were so full afterwards!

I have since gone back with coworkers and alone and have tried their chickn' sandwich, the fish fillets, steamed kale and fries. Everything was delicious-I especially enjoyed the fish and kale! I recommend this place all of the time and will definitely be back soon!

Pros: Great food, Large Portions, Friendly Staff

Cons: Price-Health is Wealth, Online menu not clearly visible, No reservations! :-(

get ready to punch your mouth in the face - Edit

welcome to woodland's vegan bistro... home of chicken wings, mac n cheese, fried chicken and collard greens.

it's all vegan. it's all greasy. but it's all good.

place used to be called "everlasting life cafe" -- aka ELC -- but after a dispute between co-founders, or something to that effect, it's now this.

it's just amazing. the wings are insane. my fiancee isn't vegan, but she's a good sport when we're together. we knock out the buffalo & BBQ wings with furious anger. they're so worth the wait.

...and the weight. this ain't health food, nor is it really masquerading as such. it's just dope, hangover helper that's 100% vegan and a hit with non-vegans, too.

i haven't gone there with any non-vegan who didn't walk out like, "damn son. that was dope."

enjoy and you're welcome.

Pros: wings good enough to smack mama, mac n cheese is slammin, hearty, heavy food

Cons: it's not health food AT ALL, made-to-order takes a while, your clothes will smell greasy

Love this Place - Edit

** Formally Everlasting Life Cafe DC.** This place is amazing. By far my favorite vegan soul food spot in the DC area! There is NOTHING that I have ordered there, that I did not enjoy. The vegan fish is amazing (sandwich, or entree), the fried chicken (again, sandwich or entree) is extremely satisfying, and the raw/cold bar certainly offers enough options to satisfy an individual looking for a mix or raw and cooked, or simply raw vegan items. They also offer a rewards program. Ask about it at the register! Also, love that they have a vegan food truck. Check them out on Facebook to find out where they are located each day!

Pros: Amazing Vegan Soul Food, Rewards Program

Cons: Parking

Soul Food Heaven - Edit

This place is one of my favorite places to eat in DC! I love how it feels like a very local DC place and not just another overpriced bougie restaurant. The food is excellent and the fried chicken sandwich is a killer. They also have a huge side salad bar and they are very generous with the helpings! Also try their garlic kale!

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Local

Cons: Location is hard to get to

Awesome vegan soul food - Edit

I live about a 5 minute walk away from Woodlands, which is good and bad- good because the food is so delicious, but dangerous for the same reason! Their mac & cheese is amazing. They have a ton of cold, raw salads to choose from. I didn't like the garlic kale; it was actually a little too garlicky for me, and I really like garlic. My partner, who is decidedly not vegan, also likes the food here.

I haven't had their smoothies or soft serve yet (maybe next summer) but the smoothies are made with fresh ingredients. Get a cinnamon roll, but be warned: you may eat the whole thing in one sitting!

I like this place a lot because it has such an interesting mix of clientele- folks who have lived in the area for years and years, Howard students, hipsters, and yuppies like myself. There's currently some construction going on next door but it hasn't interfered with Woodlands' hours.

Pros: Great food, Huge portions, Community vibe

Cons: Not air-conditioned in the summer, Huge portions, Can be crowded in the back when ordering

Woodlands Food Truck - Edit

It was worth the long wait in line to get the fried chicken sandwich and garlic kale salad. It sounds unhealthy and it probably was but it was soooo good! And the sandwich was huge -- this combo made a very large lunch. The food truck provides different self-serve sauces and both the BBQ and hot sauces were delish on the sandwich. Most food trucks just offer a few selections but Woodlands had a large menu of sandwich/salad type items. For someone who tries to eat low-fat, whole foods, this meal felt like a guilty pleasure ... but I would do it again!

Pros: food truck travels to you, big portions, friendly staff

Cons: service is a bit slow

Awesome vegan soul food - Edit

Woodlands Vegan Bistro is a cafe on Georgia Avenue formerly known as Everlasting Life (although the signage and menus don't yet reflect that change). What a few years ago was a grungy grocery with a little carry-out area in the back has morphed into a sort of cafe. You still have to go to the back to get your order and pay the friendly cashier (grabbing bottled drinks from the refrigerator near the cash register), but you have a comfortable place to enjoy your food.

Woodlands is vegan soul food, although a healthy meal can be had if you stick to the raw salads.(such as the delicious vinaigrette kale). Or you can enjoy one of the hot entrees (which vary from day to day) or a sandwich. Prices are pretty reasonable, and the last time I was there, the portions were quite generous. My boyfriend's "cheese steak" sandwich was huge! And the fried "chicken" (offered as an entree on Saturdays) is to die for!

Woodlands is in a sort of sketchy neighborhood north of Shaw, and there's no reserved parking, but it's near several bus lines and a little more than half a mile from the Georgia Avenue Metro station (Green Line). This is not a problem for me, as I don't own a car. And it's totally worth it for the food.

Pros: delicious food, friendly service, good portions

Cons: sketchy neighborhood, no parking

Woodlands Vegan Bistro aka Everlasting Life Cafe - Edit

As a meat eater with a wife and 2 daughters who are vegan I have had very mixed feelings about our dining experiences. This restaurant however was a total delight. They make outstanding food and everything I tasted was great. If they served beer it would have been perfect.

Pros: Excellent food, good value, delightful staff

Cons: limited parking, dark interior

so much to choose from - Edit

There is a massive menu here. Some healthy raw salads, juices and smoothies but also caters for those vegans who enjoy their fake meat and cheese. I'm more a fan of the raw salads. Also reasonably priced :)

Pros: Cheap, Healthy options

Great food, friendly people & ice cream - Edit

This is a store/food by weight type place, but they also have vegan soft serve. The prices are great, and so is the service. It's definitely worth going. Other than honey, everything is vegan.

Pros: All-veg (honey), Vegan ice cream, Friendly

tasty soul food at a decent price - Edit

Really great food, fabulous people! If you're a first timer, ask to try a sample plate before you order. There's a juice bar, sandwiches, and sides. I have been here a half dozen times and have literally never eaten anything I didn't like.

Downsides -
It's on a really busy street and beware the parking! We ended up on the street surrounded by the broken glass of previous parkers.

Also, the sandwiches and meals are actually really average in cost, but the sides are kind of costly if you have to buy lots. Sadly, they're also so yummy you'll want some of each!

Pros: Tasty, Cheap sandwiches, Location is easy to get to

Cons: Parking is not the best, Spendy Sides

My favorite restaurant in DC - Edit

I was in DC for 4 days and visited ELC three times. I loved it, and I will eat there any time I am in DC. Their menu indicates they are 100% vegan, so I think the info on HC may be outdated.

Walking into the restaurant, it isn't apparent what is supposed to happen. There are tables and chairs in the front, a register and bar behind it, and then through a walkway there is the kitchen and service counter. A friend my husband and I were meeting there had scoped it out, so she explained that you headed to the back to order your food, kind of like cafeteria-style.

It isn't entirely clear how that process is supposed to go, as there is a hot item bar that the staff serves to you, a case with a bunch of unmarked salads (info about them is listed on the menu though) that they will also serve you, and then another counter where the fried chicken sandwich and other hot items are made. It would be easier for customers if everything in the salad case had labels and if there were a few signs to say "start here" or "order sandwiches here." That part is kind of confusing, but it isn't worth worrying over. The food is great, so just fumble through it the first time.

Over the course of the three meals I ate I had the tofu manicotti (very good), broccoli (basic but tasty and a good healthy item), mac 'n' cheese (amazing!), fried chicken (YUM!), and fried chicken sandwich (another YUM!). Despite all the strong reviews here of the fried chicken sandwich, I was kind of hesitant to order it, because someone mentioned it just being breaded tofu. That isn't true at all. It looked to me to be made from dehydrated yuba (or dried beancurd sticks) that were rehydrated and then double-breaded. I never did figure out what the mac 'n' cheese was made of exactly, as it had a great cheesy taste but didn't seem like any recipes I had ever made. Both were great and I plan to order fried chicken (or the sandwich) and mac 'n' cheese every time I visit. The peanut butter shake is decadent and delicious, by the way. It was something we ordered at each meal.

I loved this restaurant, and while it isn't really near other sights, it is worth the rail/walk or bus ride. Especially if you are looking for vegan soul food at a good price. This is a great spot for tourists, as your money goes a long way, as the portion sizes are generous, the cost is low, and there won't be a wait to eat.

Pros: all vegan food, generous portions for low price, amazing food

Cons: bus ride or a bit of a walk from rail

Love it! - Edit

Everlasting Life has the best of both worlds - amazing soul/comfort food and tasty deli salads and fresh pressed juices. The vegan fried chicken is to die for. And the staff are all super friendly and helpful. Prices are right too.

why did i never go before? - Edit

Never went here when I lived in DC, that was stupid. On a recent trip back to visit friends they took us here and it was amazing. The mac n cheese was fantastic as were the vegan ribs (and the cinnamon bun).
Someone said here that it was related to SoulVeg, but is that really the case? I always thought SoulVeg was too salty and the food was not nearly as good as Everlasting Life, at least when I went.

Incredible! - Edit

Went here on a trip to D.C. and every vegan I talked to raved about it. DAMN, were they right. I got the mac and cheese side, fried chicken sandwich, and a green glory juice. Everything was delicious and the folks working there were so nice -- even gave me a free juice. I highly recommend the mac and cheese, it was literally the best I have ever had. Definitely in my top 5 favorite restaurants!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

vegan soul food, perfecto! - Edit

I recently visited Washington D.C. and walked here from the zoo one evening, longer walk than we expected but well worth. It was so good that we revolved our next day in the city around coming back to this delicious place! We had the "chicken" sandwich, which is incredible, mac and cheese, kale, lasagna, and most importantly vegan softserve icecream! I wish I lived in the area because I crave food from this place all of the time, and I would love to try everything. Every bit of it was fantastic and I'm so happy we weren't scared away by the neighborhood/outward appearance of the place. SO worth it.

Pros: best vegan soul food ever, vegan soft serve ice cream, friendly service

Cons: hard to find, no seating, 8 blocks away from closest metro

I love this place - Edit

I eat at this place almost every chance I get. I am like a little kid in here. I find new fun things I thought could not be made vegan, and everytime they surprise and delight. The neighborhood is the last place I expect to find some of the best vegan food I have ever had.

Even if you are not vegan you gotta check this place out. Have the Mac n Cheese. Experiment with some vegan soul food. Just go wild, have a little bit of whatever they make that day, and enjoy.

Everlasting Life is remodleing, but don't let that keep you away from some great food served by really nice people.

Pros: great good, nice people, large portions

Cons: remodeling dust, nowhere to sit

Yum! Yum! - Edit

I just got back from DC from a family vacation. I went to Everlasting Life the food was delicious. A lot of southern favorites like mac & cheze & greens, yams. The service was very friendly. There was no where to sit because they are expanding to having a dining area. They also had food to go like delicious salads, pizza, pies. I had to keep asking if everything was vegan. Can't wait to visit again.

yum - Edit

My friends and I ate her by default, because the near by Soul Vegetarian restaurant was closed. YUM though! It's awesome that this grocery store exists in that neighborhood. I had the kale which was delicious (makes me want to eat kale much more often) the mac and cheese and a side salad which came with a delicious peanuty dressing. I had a few bits of my friends pina colada soy soft serve -- WOW! I got a chesecake which I ate later, also yummy. You should definetly hit this place up if you are in the DC area. Though the store sells honey, none of the food had any it.

Pros: great food, reasonably priced, deli is all vegan

Cons: non :)ing cashier

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has NuVegan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11468 times since Aug 2007.