First Review by lthemanz

delicious and incredibly cheap - Edit

We went here in the afternoon and it was during a snack time slot. The menu is very confusing as it has certain items only available during 3 set time periods. The time slots are not all on one page but spread over several pages categorized by food type. You have to keep flipping between pages. The waiter can point out the items on each page to choose from at that time. We had a bread that puffed up like s football and you tear it off to dip in the curry. Delicious. The other dish was a bit like an Indian calzone. Both dishes were full of flavour and not too oily.

The fantas were the most expensive item on our bill at about $1.50. The whole meal and drinks came to about $5. Ridiculously cheap and a reason why the restaurant was full of locals.

Pros: very very cheap

Cons: confusing menu , menu items have set timetables

THE BEST VEGGIE INDIAN IN PENANG - Edit

We ended up eating here everyday at somepoint, either the set meal lunches (RM6), the dinner menu, the snack menu, or take away for when we got peckish after dinner!

The Indian food is delicious and fresh, the staff are funny and understanding when you ask for vegan- "no milk, no egg, no yogurt, no butter!"#

The portions are large and great value for the little you pay.
Lentil and rice breads such as thosia and the pizza versions, and the green pea version are recommended :)

You get free dalh and coconut with most orders and they are really yummy!

We really recommend Woodlands for vegan veggie lovers!

Pros: Great prices, Big portions

Cons: No desserts for vegans

Great food - Edit

I lived in Penang for a while and my lady and I would go here about once every two weeks, any more you you'd just get too fat. The food is authentic, oily, fried, cheesy stuff. The people who are complaining about it were probably expecting westernized Indian food. The Biriyani was pretty much always good, as was the Aloo Gobi. The Paneer Chili fry was good about half the time. The lunch tali is a great thing and the "butter milk" is also something you should try if you have never had it.

They have a large menu and they get quite busy on the weekends in the evenings. The staff is prompt and not rude. Again people complaining about them want a waiter who comes up and makes you feel good. These people are there to bring you your food.

Price wise it's one of the cheapest places around. For 3 dishes, some naan, some somasas and drinks, you should expect to pay around 27rm or 8usd (total).

If you are in Penang and want something Indian, find this place.

Pros: Greaf Food, Cheep, Easy to find

Cons: Some items are hit or miss.

Best lunch and snacks in Penang... - Edit

The first time we visited Woodlands we hated it. Now we go there at least twice per day every time we visit Penang, which we do every 3-4 months.

To enjoy this place you have to know what to order and what to expect. This is no organic raw food haven so throw those dreams away. You won't get your hit of green juice here. What you will get is tasty, authentic South Indian food and a full on cultural experience.

Avoid the curries sold as main meals on their own, they never fail to disappoint. Instead, go for the South Indian snacks - a paper dosa is a fun experience, but also try other small bites such as the idly, poori, uttapam and anything else you can find in similar sections of the menu.

For lunch you can't go past their thali, a balanced meal of several curries, soups, rice, papadums and other various condiments. Consider ordering a chapati bread with it and afterwards, be sure to wash it all down with a masala tea (ask for less sugar).

Not everything is available at all times of the day. The thali meals are from noon until 4pm. Snacks are until midday and in the evenings after 5pm. We don't go for dinner time, it's not their strong point.

There is quite a bit of variation in the taste of the chutneys etc - they are never awful but can be average. If you're in luck though they'll be absolutely fabulous. This is our fave stop in Penang, hands down.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 21, 2011

For the sake of the record, my original review was:

Every taxi driver seems to know and recommend this place as soon as they hear you are vegetarian. We only tried their dosas and one curry but weren't exactly blown away. The dosas were quite oily and the sauces nothing special to speak of. The one curry we did order (chana masala) was pretty poor - so much so that it was left on the table uneaten. Can't see us racing back, even though it is one of only 2 pure veg indian restaurants that we are aware of in Penang.

One thing though - the colourful clientele made for an interesting setting, although judging by their reactions they were just as intrigued in us as we were in them ;)

Pros: All vegetarian, authentic indian , Great snacks and thalis

Cons: A la carte main meal items aren't great, Can be oily

Ok - Edit

I had lunch there, and took a Sambar Vadai and Oignons Pakoras. Everything tasted great, which suprised me because it was cheap.

I also had a mango lassi, but they put too much water on it, so I don't recommend.

The staff was a little bit cold.

Pros: Cheap and good food, Good location

Cons: Staff quite cold, Don"t take the lassi

Worth a visit! - Edit

I'm surprised by the negative reviews of this place. I've been twice now and found it to be clean with helpful/friendly staff and most importantly tasty food! It was busy with locals both times that I went. I'll definitely be going back!

Pros: Clean, Good food, Cheap

Seems popular with the locals - Edit

Not sure if it was Saturday night that made the restaurant busy but busy it was. Usually, I eat all of the vegan food put before me but not on this occasion. We ordered three dishes but found the food cooked in too much oil and not particularly good.
Our server was pleasant and made sure the food was vegan. One big plus was that the restaurant was air conditioned.

Pros: Air conditioned, Helpful staff

Cons: Food was not great

Awful! - Edit

Had a meal at Woodlands about a year ago & has to be said it wasn't great but eternally hopeful people that we are, thought we'd give it another go. Food awful, channa was under cooked, cold and no idea what they were trying to attempt with the sauce. The onion kulcha was well, not an onion kulcha and paneer dish consisted mainly of raw (but shouldn't have been) onions. Food got sent back and personally if you fancy a spot of pure veg indian, i'd nip just over the road, chaotic but much nicer

Cons: Awful food, indifferent service

First time here, May 2011 - Edit

Found the restaurant while wandering through Little India, and entered. The food was good, low cost, and tasty (did I already say that). I can add pleasantly spicy. Recommended.

Pros: Taste, drinks, quick service

Cons: Not overly visible on the street.

Very disappointing - Edit

We were looking forward to our visit to this restaurant, but we came away disappointed. The food was average, at best. The vegetarian thali was truly nothing special, and the food had none of the spice necessary to bring it to life. We also ordered an aloo gobi that was greasy and lacking flavour. Finally, the juice was absolutely awful, essentially being water with colour. After our time in KL at the beautiful Bukit Woodlands, this unrelated imposter really lacked sizzle.

Woodlands Pani Puri - Edit

This would be one of the better veg restaurant. The only and quite good Pani Puri that I know of in Penang.
They have Pani Puri, Shev Puri, Bhel Puri and a few other snacks.

Pani Puri literally means Water in a Crispy Fried Dough. Pani is a Hindi word for Water, and Puri is somewhat like a 'fried chapati'.

Pros: tasty, hard to find elsewhere, decently priced

Cons: sometimes waiter not friendly

Return to Penang Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Woodlands closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3357 times since Aug 2007.