First Review by lthemanz

Good Food, Chilly Atmosphere - Edit

Despite the delicious utthapam, sambhar and chutney, the service - which is a little on the bitchy side - compelled us to seek alternate dining options. Friendly service tends to make up for average fare, whereas great food can never make up for unpleasant service. Such a shame, when Woodlands clearly offers the more superior cuisine of the veg Indian eateries in Penang.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-12

Pros: Great South Indian fare, Very reasonable prices, Air conditioned

Cons: Not the most pleasant staff, Sterile atmosphere

Average - Edit

The food is average. The problem I faced is the waiter doesn't understand English. I tried their masala tosai. It was good. The bru coffee was nice as well. However their Paani puri isn't good. I was disappointed.

Pros: A variety of food, Strategic location

Cons: Parking issues, Staff can't speak proper English

Nice atmosphere - Edit

Cosy Indian place. Service was friendly and cooperative to find vegan options. Food was good, a little too much onions for my liking, but will try them again. They have a huge menu and offer breakfast too.

Busy, popular place with good food - Edit

The menu is quite extensive, so it may take time to choose and understand its logic. Food is lovely, place is quite clean. The do takeaway. Various Indian breads with sauces, curries.

Pros: Open late, Tasty food, good portions, Competitive prices

Cons: I dont care, but some people do - a bit dark :)

Samosa - Edit

I have eaten here serveral times, never got disappointed. They offer the best samosas ever. I need this place near my house, it's wonderful.

Pros: taste, lots of options, price

Cons: not very cosy, staff doesn't speak english very well

The Best Chilli Garlic Noodles Ever - Edit

My boyfriend and I spent 4 days in Penang and ate here at Woodlands twice. The food is truly authentic and the people are so friendly and attentive. The menu is very extensive offering classic Indian food that some 'Westerners' might not have heard of/tried before.

On our first visit to Woodlands we had the breakfast menu to choose from. I had a masala dosa (3.20 Ringitt) which was incredibly inpressive. It wasn't the largest dosa I've ever seen, but it was thin, crispy and delicious!

On our second visit I opted for the Chilli Garlic Noodles (7 Ringitt) and believe me, they were amazing. I would probably go as far as saying that these noodles are the best thing I have ever eaten. They were truly mind blowing!

If you are ever in Georgetown I highly recommend this place :)

www.withoutcrueltyblog.wordpress.com

Pros: Amazing Food , Cheap Food, Free Water

Cons: The Breakfast Options Run Out Early

Great vibe - Edit

Although this place isn't 100% vegan there are tones of vegan options. Staff is friendly service is quick and the price is good. A must try if you are in Georgetown.

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Staff is freindly, Very clean

Cons: Can be busy in the evening

love this place! - Edit

Great food at a really good price and you even get free water!
The food is quite spicy however even though I asked multiple times for no spice but after all it is an Indian restaurant!

delicious! - Edit

The food is really good, some of the nicest Samosa I have eaten in years. every dish our table of 4 ordered wowed us, and our final bill was so reasonable I'm determined to return!

Pros: lots of options, delicious

Well spiced, well priced - Edit

Authentic pure veg. Indian food, well spiced, well priced.
Easy to find, clean, good service, good portions.
No dosa from noon to 4pm. Can be a bit noisy.

very good indian food! - Edit

Very good, can be recommended!

Great Indian food! - Edit

Tasty, cheap and great customer service. The staff were lovely, got a dosa, fried potato and cauliflower dish and a samosa all for 10MYR

delicious and incredibly cheap - Edit

We went here in the afternoon and it was during a snack time slot. The menu is very confusing as it has certain items only available during 3 set time periods. The time slots are not all on one page but spread over several pages categorized by food type. You have to keep flipping between pages. The waiter can point out the items on each page to choose from at that time. We had a bread that puffed up like s football and you tear it off to dip in the curry. Delicious. The other dish was a bit like an Indian calzone. Both dishes were full of flavour and not too oily.

The fantas were the most expensive item on our bill at about $1.50. The whole meal and drinks came to about $5. Ridiculously cheap and a reason why the restaurant was full of locals.

Pros: very very cheap

Cons: confusing menu , menu items have set timetables

THE BEST VEGGIE INDIAN IN PENANG - Edit

We ended up eating here everyday at somepoint, either the set meal lunches (RM6), the dinner menu, the snack menu, or take away for when we got peckish after dinner!

The Indian food is delicious and fresh, the staff are funny and understanding when you ask for vegan- "no milk, no egg, no yogurt, no butter!"#

The portions are large and great value for the little you pay.
Lentil and rice breads such as thosia and the pizza versions, and the green pea version are recommended :)

You get free dalh and coconut with most orders and they are really yummy!

We really recommend Woodlands for vegan veggie lovers!

Pros: Great prices, Big portions

Cons: No desserts for vegans

Great food - Edit

I lived in Penang for a while and my lady and I would go here about once every two weeks, any more you you'd just get too fat. The food is authentic, oily, fried, cheesy stuff. The people who are complaining about it were probably expecting westernized Indian food. The Biriyani was pretty much always good, as was the Aloo Gobi. The Paneer Chili fry was good about half the time. The lunch tali is a great thing and the "butter milk" is also something you should try if you have never had it.

They have a large menu and they get quite busy on the weekends in the evenings. The staff is prompt and not rude. Again people complaining about them want a waiter who comes up and makes you feel good. These people are there to bring you your food.

Price wise it's one of the cheapest places around. For 3 dishes, some naan, some somasas and drinks, you should expect to pay around 27rm or 8usd (total).

If you are in Penang and want something Indian, find this place.

Pros: Greaf Food, Cheep, Easy to find

Cons: Some items are hit or miss.

Best lunch and snacks in Penang... - Edit

The first time we visited Woodlands we hated it. Now we go there at least twice per day every time we visit Penang, which we do every 3-4 months.

To enjoy this place you have to know what to order and what to expect. This is no organic raw food haven so throw those dreams away. You won't get your hit of green juice here. What you will get is tasty, authentic South Indian food and a full on cultural experience.

Avoid the curries sold as main meals on their own, they never fail to disappoint. Instead, go for the South Indian snacks - a paper dosa is a fun experience, but also try other small bites such as the idly, poori, uttapam and anything else you can find in similar sections of the menu.

For lunch you can't go past their thali, a balanced meal of several curries, soups, rice, papadums and other various condiments. Consider ordering a chapati bread with it and afterwards, be sure to wash it all down with a masala tea (ask for less sugar).

Not everything is available at all times of the day. The thali meals are from noon until 4pm. Snacks are until midday and in the evenings after 5pm. We don't go for dinner time, it's not their strong point.

There is quite a bit of variation in the taste of the chutneys etc - they are never awful but can be average. If you're in luck though they'll be absolutely fabulous. This is our fave stop in Penang, hands down.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 21, 2011

For the sake of the record, my original review was:

Every taxi driver seems to know and recommend this place as soon as they hear you are vegetarian. We only tried their dosas and one curry but weren't exactly blown away. The dosas were quite oily and the sauces nothing special to speak of. The one curry we did order (chana masala) was pretty poor - so much so that it was left on the table uneaten. Can't see us racing back, even though it is one of only 2 pure veg indian restaurants that we are aware of in Penang.

One thing though - the colourful clientele made for an interesting setting, although judging by their reactions they were just as intrigued in us as we were in them ;)

Pros: All vegetarian, authentic indian , Great snacks and thalis

Cons: A la carte main meal items aren't great, Can be oily

Ok - Edit

I had lunch there, and took a Sambar Vadai and Oignons Pakoras. Everything tasted great, which suprised me because it was cheap.

I also had a mango lassi, but they put too much water on it, so I don't recommend.

The staff was a little bit cold.

Pros: Cheap and good food, Good location

Cons: Staff quite cold, Don"t take the lassi

Worth a visit! - Edit

I'm surprised by the negative reviews of this place. I've been twice now and found it to be clean with helpful/friendly staff and most importantly tasty food! It was busy with locals both times that I went. I'll definitely be going back!

Pros: Clean, Good food, Cheap

Return to Penang Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Woodlands closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.