Contact 954-749-3221

4816 N University Dr, Lauderhill, Florida, USA, 33351

Vegetarian Indian restaurant serving South Indian cuisine. Casual setting. No smoking. Mon-Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:00pm-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by alanflum

Great Lunch Buffet - Edit

We had a weekday buffet lunch at Woodlands Indian restaurant with every dish clearly marked if it was vegan. They had 5 or 6 buffet items we could eat plus a vegetable soup that was vegan. The food was delicious and satisfying.

We have gone a couple of times for lunch and have enjoyed everything served with the exception of the dosa. The dosa are much too oily and filled with fat. We no longer get them. We have had dosa at other restaurants and they do not have to be this way. But even saying that, when we are in the area we will make sure to stop here for lunch.

The ambience could be vastly improved and the staff could be more friendly. The day we were there during prime lunch hour, the staff were vacuuming the bench seats in the dining. Also the large TV in the dining area was playing with sound. At least it could be muted.

Pros: Vegan Food, Delicious Seasoning

Cons: TVs playing with sound, Unfriendly Staff

Great Indian Vegetarian! - Edit

Stopped in twice on our most recent visit to South Florida - we'll be back. First stop was on Sunday for the lunch buffet. The price was $12.95 on weekends ($9.95 on weekdays.) Not sure if the weekend buffet included more than weekdays. It was certainly an extensive offering. We called before going to ensure the buffet had plenty of vegan offerings and were told that usually 80% of the buffet was always vegan. They were right. Each vegan item had a miniature trophy next to it letting you know it was vegan. There were plenty of appetizers, soups, condiments and entrees. The included lassi and tea had milk. The buffet also included a masala dosa delivered to your table. Our second visit was for the regular menu. Items that are vegan or can be made vegan marked with a big V on the menu. We love that South Indian restaurants often offer Chinese Indian food and were impressed to see Tofu Manchurian (sweet & sour & spicy) and Haka noodles on the dinner menu. Happy to see tofu on the menu, period - not something we see often at an Indian restaurant. Service was fast and friendly. Woodlands is an easy 18 minute drive from FLL airport and would make a great first or last stop in the area.

Pros: "VEGAN" trophies on the buffet!, Big V marking vegan items.

Cons: Dairy.

Very delicious! - Edit

I thought this place was great. Friendly, delicious, filling, and comparable price to the rest of the area (which is expensive, compared to normal places, but this is Ft Lauderdale...).

The samosas were excellent, and the chana masala was perfect.

Pros: No meat, Friendly, Delicious

Suits my Gujarati tastes - Edit

My favorite Indian food is Gujarati. This place has a wide variety of Indian food from a variety regions, not just North and South. All the food is very good, but the selection is what makes this place. Also, the staff is very helpful. Not all vegan of course.

Attentive staff/ good vegan options - Edit

My boyfriend and I just recently went to woodlands for their lunch buffet. When I told them I was vegan they pointed out everything that is vegan, which included the soup, salad, chana masala, two squash dishes, samosas, a variety of chutney and idli. I filled my plate and sat down. The food was great, although I usually like more heat/spice to my chana masala. But the soup and one of the squash dishes were definitely not mild, which I enjoyed. About ten minutes into our meal, a server brought us a basket of vegan naan right to our table. Naan traditionally is not vegan, so they must have vegan dough in the kitchen and cook it whenever vegan customers come in. We were impressed and left full!

Pros: Attentive staff, Good vegan selection

Very good, but could use more vegan options - Edit

Food is very, very good, however, if you go for the lunch buffet, which I used to do a lot, often only an item or two is vegan, with the rest being vegetarian. The food is excellent, but I wish more things were vegan. They are very nice there as well. Atmosphere is not great, but the food makes up for it.

Pros: Great food!, fair prices

Cons: Needs more vegan options, Atmosphere

Good Indian food, but . . . - Edit

I hadn't been to an Indian Restaurant for a long time, my friend and I thought I would try Woodlands, as I am always looking for good vegan restaurants. The waiter who served us was friendly and helpful, although speaking English was not his forte. We told him NOT SPICY and vegan. He recommended some dishes. Seems that 'not spicy' means different things to different people. Everything was so spicy as to be virtually inedible, some of the items had to be returned. Eventually we landed on a delicious vegetable dish in coconut milk, told them to leave out ALL spices & they got it right! If you like hot, spicy food Woodlands would be an excellent choice, but it's not for the weak of pallet!

Pros: cordial staff, convenient hours

Cons: Too spicy w/o sufficient optiopns, music too loud, relatively high prices

server not vegan conscious - Edit

the server's recommendation for a vegan appetizer was swimming in cream. I apologized for the confusion, and tried to make sure that my entree wasn't going to have dairy - I had to explain what I meant by "dairy" - and gave my appetizer to my partner.
our drinks came - they were full of yogurt! I gave mine to my partner.
then the appetizer came - again full of cream. the server said "here it is, it's all vegan".

in the end, my partner was very very full, and I was very very hungry.

Next time, we'll probably just go straight to Udipi (that place is awesome!)

Pros: friendly atmosphere, vegetarian

Cons: not vegan

Excellent Service! - Edit

We were greeted immediately and received excellent service from the moment we entered the door. There were lots of veg options and the waiter knew what vegan was. He warned us against certain beverage items (coffee usually comes with cow milk automatically) and was helpful and pleasant. Food was super!

Pros: Great food, Many options, Great service

Fabulous! - Edit

No complaints with this place. The food was excellent with lots of vegan options. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The prices are also very reasonable with good portions of food, less costly than other Indian restaurants.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, very reasonable prices

Cons: None!

WOW!!! - Edit

I'm not aware that I've ever had Indian food and man have I been missing out! The staff is super friendly and very polite. We started off with the vegetable cutlet which is mainly potatoes along with other veggies and spices, breaded and fried. I chose the Gobi Manchurian (with gravy)which is Cauliflower Marinated with Flour (breaded), Sauteed with Garlic, Ginger, Chilli, Soya Sauce. It was AMAZING! Very flavorful and not too spicy. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to spicy foods and it was perfect. My hubby chose the Mutter Paneer which is Peas and Cheese Cooked with Tomatoes, Onion, and Indian Spices. This was more spicy which hubby likes and he really enjoyed it. Unfortunately we were too stuffed for dessert. Both dishes are served over long grain white rice. It was a bit of a drive from where we were but it was so worth it! YUMMY!

Pros: huge selection, friendly staff, lunch buffet

Fantastic! - Edit

I have lived in the Bay Area in California and am use to great authentic south indian food. I have to say that Woodlands in Lauderhill Florida measures up with the best of them. The Masala Dosa is absolutely fantastic. I find myself looking forward to eating it every time I come to South Florida. The prices are reasonable, the service excellent. The owner and staff take great care to make sure that their patrons are happy. I am vegan and they are more than happy to accommodate.

All I can say is that I am grateful for this gem of a restaurant in Lauderhill Florida!!

Pros: The best dosas, Excellent service, Authentic south Indian cusine

Cons: None!

Return to Lauderhill Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Woodlands closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2405 times since Aug 2007.