Wise Cicada Wholefood Cafe

09-5299529

88 Broadway, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand

A vegan community cafe contained within an organic wholefoods store (which sells meat), bookstore, and naturopathic health clinic all under one roof. Relocated from 23 Crowhurst St, June 2016. Fully vegan since Aug 2016, however reported to be offering cow's milk for hot drinks December 2016. Please let Happy Cow know. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-7:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Naki Girl

Great for brunch! - Edit

Never fail to deliver. The baked beans are fantastic, the creamy mushrooms are creamier than I thought vegan food could be and the pancakes are out of this world. The lunch meals are always tasty and a good price. Lovely staff too.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-13

Hearty vegan breakfast in a nice environment - Edit

Restaurant is a little hard to find. Great vegan options. We had the scrambled tofu and the baked beans for breakfast, both very good but small for the price. Definitely worth paying extra for the vegan sausages. Unfortunately they charge extra for non-dairy milks despite being a mostly plant-based restaurant.

Great vegan spot with store attached - Edit

Nice cafe with lots of vegan options. Has a health store attached too which also has vegan cheese and mock meats. Good place for a sit in meal and good coffee! Staff are friendly and helpful.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Health food store

Cons: Pricey

Good place for vegans - Edit

I went here a couple of times. Had a tasty breakfast one time (good coffee with soy mylk too) and had salad for lunch and a dessert both of which were really good.

Cons: Extra charge for plant based mylks

address changed - Edit

Location changed and should be updated to 88 Broadway. I'm happy I found it because the cafe food was sooooo good!

Lots of choices for vegans - Edit

Really happy to have their hot meals especially their vegan soup because every other place would have cream in their soups. They also have yummy desserts! Convenient location and handy supermarket inside draws me back every time.

Pros: Delicious food, Great variety, Convenient location

Cons: Supermarket not entirely veg

Pleasant every time - Edit

The Wise Cicada an unlikely refuge in its Newmarket neighbourhood. The busy, car-dominated streets, big-box stores and mainstream retail of the area make this vegan cafe and organic non-veg grocer (and bookstore, and healing center) a bountiful urban oasis.

The strong community sense around this institution is unusual and wonderful for Auckland. You might think that it’s to do with the alternative-minded adjoining bookstore or the pricey but high quality grocery section, or that the staff are knowledgeable and responsive to specialised diets, but my personal theory is that it’s been embraced because the food rocks.

You can come to this place and be served a range of hot prepared meals from a slow-cooker, plus there’s a breakfast buffet and a generous menu of hot drinks, but what stands out is the salad bar.

The selection is dynamic - it changes with the seasons, what’s available and what’s sprouted that day. It’s always fresh, always colourful, and brings juicy new flavours to even the most experienced vegan foodie.

So if you want to experience the Wise Cicada’s glory then get a large (really large) selection of salads, sit at a long table, eat slowly and let yourself fall into a nearby conversation. It’s a very social cafe (especially for NZ) with frequent meetup groups, friendly regular characters, and occasional live musicians.

You won’t struggle to find someone to eat dessert with, and despite my best intentions I don’t think I’ve ever left the Wise Cicada without dessert. Today I had a raw German-style chewy chocolate cake, last week I had a decadent raw cheesecake, but my usual is the chewy coconut-chocolate rough speckled with flecks of tangy dried fruit.

If you like the Wise Cicada (the new-age sense is not for everybody) then this is one place you can return to for a further exploration of what’s on offer.

Pros: Great food, Oasis hideaway from Newmarket

Cons: Occasional variable food quality & size

Not the full monty - Edit

I went for Sunday brunch, and ordered the 'Wise Cicda Big Hearty Breakfast'

Now it could just be an English thing, but this was pretty bad as breakfasts go - the bread wasn't toasted, the falafel were dry, dull and completely unnecessary, plus they didn't have any chilli sauce.

All I can say is, if you're English, don't go here for their version of a 'greasy spoon' as it totally fails to deliver

Oh and their long black wasn't very good either

Pros: Charming staff, Good ambience

Cons: Poor breakfasts, Bad coffee

hippeis that sell meat.. - Edit

the food might be vegan but the store sells meat... the guys working in this place seemd kind to yoga hippies and ignores the rest of us and then finally serves some mundane, overpriced falafel...

Cons: meat in store'

palm oil! - Edit

they serve some great salads and vegan treats as well as a wide range of groceries BUT I know that they use palm oil in their sweets without labelling it on the ingredient lists
I don't get how a shop so 'concerned' about nature and veganism can do something like that

Pros: wide range, good salads

Cons: uses palm oil

healthy food and pleasant service - Edit

Fantastic store! Encountered many products I had not seen before, e.g., a line of pastas by Explore Asian Authentic Cuisine made from wonderful things like (the one I bought) Organic Edamame & Mung Bean Fettuccine shape; and Mash Tun Crackers by The Bloom Theory, made from recycled brewery grain. Frozen vegan meals. Fresh, organic produce. Household products, cosmetics, t-shirts and other clothing items, books, lots of snack food. Then there’s the deli with several salads and desserts, many raw. All look delicious. I had the Big Hearty Breakfast for $17: sautéed mushrooms, scrambled tofu, home-baked beans, soysage, mini-falafel balls, whole-grain (or gluten-free) toast. Tasty and filling.

Pros: tasty, healthy food

Cafe great, shop ok - Edit

They have some really good lunch offers, delicious and healthy food, and also very good coffee. I like their main dishes, their salads, as well as their sweet creations. The shop I found a bit uber expensive and quite cheeky with discounts (eg selling juice that had been expired for over 6 months for only $1 off).

Pros: healthy, very yummy

Awesome vegan Lunch! - Edit

I had two very delicious vegan wraps and a great salad! One of the very best places in Auckland for vegans, I definitely come back!

Humungous breakfast for hungry tourists - Edit

One of the few Auckland veg restaurants that stays open in summer. What a find! The self serve breakfast buffet was great. I started with some delicious creamy porridge. Then had sausages, tofu scramble, mushrooms, baked beans and felafels. Also came with toasted sourdough walnut bread and hummus. Fantastic. We didn't need to eat again until dinner!

Handy having the shop there too. It is huge! We got everything we needed for our road trip down the island. Great service as well.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 07, 2014

Pros: Great vegan breakfast , Excellent coffee, Well stocked huge shop

100% Vegan Organic Breakfast Buffet? Yes, Please! - Edit

Wise Cicada never disappoints; whether you're after freshly made juices, wholesome salads, organic groceries, a plant based buffet or raw food, they can cater for you. Freshly made juice costs at NZD9.50, salads between NZD9.90 and NZD13.90, breakfast for around NZD15.00, and the buffet at NZD25.00. There is also a huge variety of fully raw desserts to choose from, typically around NZD6.00 a serving.

Thanks to its fairly central location, I've had the pleasure of dining here countless times. I vividly remember the first set of salads I had here, one of which was the massaged kale salad that introduced and turned me into a kale lover. Some of the other choices included roasted root vegetable salad, quinoa salad, tofu salad, and a raw beet and carrot salad, all of which were full of flavour and are of course healthy. Another bonus is that anyone who orders salads get free extras such as hummus and toasted nuts and seeds. On one occasion they had raw 'refried beans' as an extra, and it would be an understatement to say that it blew my mind. Absolutely amazing.

On another occasion, I had the luxury of trying out their breakfast buffet, which extends until 1pm on weekends. Here I was introduced to another amazing dish I'd never tried before: millet porridge. Yeah yeah bird food whatever, it was faaantastic with the cashew cream and fresh fruits. The buffet also offers tofu scramble, baked beans, sauteed mushrooms, veg falafels and sausages, wholegrain and gluten free breads, cereals, jams and nut butters. Although everything was delicious, if you aren't very hungry then I'd suggest going for salad instead; in my opinion, the price is a bit steep for the amount of choices available.

The ambiance of the cafe itself is lovely, filled with healthy happy people and friendly chatter. It is always clean, and the service is always top notch thanks to the helpful staff at hand.

Pros: Delicious, healthy, organic, Good ambiance , Friendly staff

Cons: Prices can be steep for some

Big vegan breakfast - Edit

Ordered the big breakfast - not as big as I expected, given the price. It came with vege sausage, tofu scramble, baked beans, sauteed mushrooms & toast. Also ordered a vegan brownie to go - not the best, but tasty enough! I wish I'd had more time, as Wise Cicada is also a lovely organic grocery store.

Pros: All vegan, Organic grocer

Cons: Price

Quest for a Vegetarian Lunch lead me here - Edit

Being new to Auckland, I am so grateful for this website and GPS. Anyhow that aside I walked from Parnell to this great store and cafe. I enjoyed a mixed salad. There were plenty of salads to choose from and yummy vegan dressings to top them off. The raw dessert I had was an Apricot and Coconut Cheesecake which I ended up eating later in the day as the salad was very filling. When I did enjoy the cheesecake, it was very fresh tasting, light and fresh. I would recommend this place for sure and would love to go back when I'm next in Auckland to taste more vegan delights.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 20, 2012

Pros: Healthy, Ample portions, Great Tasting

Cons: A little pricey, Only one in NZ! , No outside seating from what I could see

Great intro to vegan cafe food! - Edit

As the first vegan cafe we visited, wise cicada had a lot to prove. It definately made the grade though. Being a cold and rainy day we both had the soup and bread which was delicious, lived up to the high praise from the entertaining chef! We also had THE most delicious hummus ever (we want the recipe!!) and took 2 sweet treats home with us (vegan "cheese"cake and chocolate biscotti which were both yummy). Its a lovely shop with plenty of wholefoods for sale and friendly, helpful staff. Also a loyalty system which is a bonus. Will definately be making a regular trip here.

Pros: Nice staff, Excellent food, Great selection of wholefoods

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wise Cicada Wholefood Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.