First Review by davielala

great Co-op - Edit

Crazy good selection for the size of the store. Loved that the bakery items were clearly marked with a case for vegan and a case for gf. Btw the vegan cupcake was worth the calories :) Large bulk food section. We stopped in on a cab drivers recommendation for vegan snacks on half marathon weekend but may drive 2 hours each way just to go to the co-op

best grocery store in Madison - Edit

Willie St Co-op always has the freshest produce in Madison. The variety of fresh food and packaged food always surprises me. They're generally cheaper than Whole Foods, and they have a lot of vegan products that Trader Joes just doesn't carry. Also, their bulk food area is constantly bring used and restocked, so you know nothing has been sitting there for a terribly long time.
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 08, 2013

Pros: freshness, variety, price

Cons: parking

Willy Street Co-Op ROCKS! - Edit

I very recently purchased a membership to the Willy Street Co-Op and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made! Not only are the foods, herbs and products I desire to use as a Vegan readily available, but everyone is always so very friendly and willing to help me with anything! I recommend this grocery store (both the east and west locations) to anyone! I LOVE WILLY STREET CO-OP!

Pros: excellent food, organic, vegan

Cons: none, none, none

The Best Natural Foods Co-op in Central Wisconsin! - Edit

Willy Street Co-op is one of the best natural foods store icons in Wisconsin, and has been since 1974. The selection of shelf product, fresh foods, bakery, frozen foods, and body care items is completely and welcomingly diverse. I've never walked out of either of their locations wonting, I always find what I need or want, with or without the assistance of staff. As a Vegan I can state with all confidence and directness that Willy St always has what I am looking for - they have an incredibly extensive selection of Vegan products, produce, and offerings of fresh Vegan fare in their delis and bakeries. Plus, their class offerings meet anyone's interest(s).
Willy Street serves and supports the Madison area with deep commitment and joy. It's a place all members and customers are very proud of and support.

Pros: Excellent Delis & Loads of Local Vendors, Complete, diverse selection of product, Friendly, helpful Staff & Leadership

Cons: None, yet..., I've always had great experiences

One of the best Co-ops in america - Edit

So I LOVE CO-OPs, it doesn't take much to impress me, but the vegan pumpernickel bagels here were just too amazing they've left an indelible impression on my palate and I would fly back to Madison just for these bagels! Wills street has great parking, just mind the no left turn out of the parking lot during certain hours. Every natural grocery item you can think of is there and plenty of live plants and outdoor eating area. This would be my daily jam if I lived in Madison, congrats for having such an awesome co-op!

Pros: bagels!

Best Food Co-op Ever! - Edit

I've been a member of several food co-ops over the years, and this is the best by far. Huge variety of foods available, including fair-trade, locally sourced, and largely organic--including almost ALL of the fresh produce (fruits/veggies)! Great deli with plenty of veg and vegan options, salad and juice bars, and ready-to-go items. Decent seating area up front near windows for in-house eating.

The Best - Edit

This is our very favorite co-op (we belong to more than one and shop in several). The choices are excellent and the prepared foods are especially good. The bakery is a favorite. Even my 90 year old mother loves the vegan peanut butter cookies, which gives me something good to buy for her.

Pros: Prepared foods, Bakery

Excellent co-op - Edit

This is a nice, well lit, clean co-op. Prices tend to be less than Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods). Good selection of vegan desserts and other vegan items. Good sized selection of health and beauty items. If you don't have a membership, you will be charged 10% extra for purchases.

Employees run the gamut and can either be great or more interested in chatting than doing their job. This place seems to have lots of turnover though based on the fact I see new people on almost every one of my bimonthly trips.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Great deli , reasonable prices

Cons: staff can be inattentive and unhelpful

Return to Madison Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Williamson Street Grocery Co-op closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2224 times since Aug 2007.