Wildflower Cafe and Bakery

• Vegetarian
Contact 707-822-0360

1604 G St, Arcata, California, USA, 95521

Veggie cafe and bakery offering daily breakfast and lunch, plus some dinners. Lunch items such as sandwiches, burgers, tempeh tacos, and organic salads at moderate prices. Dinner include savory main entrees with international influences, and prices are higher. Small, country atmosphere.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by

Great vegan friendly spot - Edit

Great spot for breakfast, good coffee, pancakes, ext. they have lunch and dinner too (they close at 3 then reopen at 5) they serve beer as well and have many vegan baked goods. There are a lot of vegan options on the menu and is very vegan friendly for a not all vegan cafe. Oh and big portions and not to expensive either. I could barley finish 2 pancakes haha

Pros: big selections, tastes great, good ingredients

Cons: only one I can think of is uncomfortable seats hah

Everything is Delicious! - Edit

I've been to Wildflower several times and took my meat-eating chef friend there who said, "Wow. This is so flavorful!" Their menu options are diverse and delicious- even down to the drinks! The locals know this place is a gem and I'll continue to bring friends when I go.

Pros: Menu variety, Presentation of food, Quality of flavor

Cons: Bathrooms are behind the kitchen.

delightful surprise - Edit

We ate there on 9/26/14. The hummus plate appetizer had a variety of fresh veggies, hummus, warm pita bread, and a spicy tappenade. It was abundant and delicious. The side salads were crisp and fresh. I had a plate of steamed veggies over fresh greens and my friend had a dragon bowl with spicy noodles. Total cost was just under $30 and we felt like we had enjoyed a feast. It's a small, friendly place with great service. Thank you Happy Cow! I never would have found them without you.

Pros: Good service, Fresh food, Abundant quantities

Average - Edit

Good food, I had the french toast, my wife had the potatoes and vegetables and we ordered the TBLT's to go. The sandwiches were good. I didnt care for the fries...

Pros: Location, Friendly Staff

SMALL VEGAN CAFE - Edit

I had the tofu pesto scramble, there must have been over !/2lb of tofu, well cooked with pesto, fresh, local veggies and tasty home fries

The staff were very knowledgeable about the difference between vegan and vegetarian diets and were only to happy to help ..... they even sold me a box of tea bags to save me shopping

The food was good, the place was clean and the vibe was Arcata all over

I'll be back next time I'm in the area for sure

Pros: Vegan food, Fresh,, local veggies, Prompt service

Cons: Restricted choices

Yummy GF Treats! - Edit

Driving home to SLC from Eureka we found this cosy cafe. Since we were at the beginning of a 13hr drive I got breakfast takeout: thick gluten-free banana pancakes, gf sugar cookies (heart-shaped!), and scrumptious & moist gingersnaps (good flavouring with molasses and clove). The cost was cheaper than SLC. The service was very friendly, our order was filled quickly and we were on our way. I wish I'd bought more gingersnaps for the road.

Pros: Good value, Tasty food, Friendly staff

A gem! - Edit

This small café and bakery is an absolute gem. On a recent trip to Arcata, we ate there twice in one day, and had to leave early the next day or we might have had additional meals there. The menu is vegetarian with many vegan options and specials. They can make most of the vegetarian dishes vegan upon request. My husband enjoyed the vegan mac and cheese at dinner, and earlier in the day had vegan biscuits and gravy which he also liked a lot. I had a unique dish for breakfast that I loved - grilled (fried?) potato pieces topped with delicious steamed organic garden vegetables. At dinner, I opted for the Hawaiian tempeh burger which was delectable. The service was excellent; very friendly accommodating staff. The prices were average - not cheap, not extreme. If you are vegan and visit the McKinleyville/Arcata/Eureka area at least one meal at Wildflower Café and Bakery is a must!

Pros: Very fresh produce, Great vegan options, Terrific service

Cons: Parking can be challenging, Small, may have to wait

Can't Say Enough About Wildflower.. Delicious!! - Edit

This place is amazing! Delicious food, very nice staff, cozy little cafe. I stopped here on a trip to the Redwood National Forest and I'm so glad I did! The vegan french toast was AMAZING. The vegan options on their menu are clearly labeled and numerous. I wish there was a place like this around my way!

Pros: delicious, variety, clearly labeled menu

Cons: none

Recommend this place! - Edit

Came here for dinner while on vacation. I ordered the vegan mac and cheese which was yummy! I am not a fan of vegan cheese but had no problem with this. It also came with cornbread and kale which were equally good. I also got a lemon thyme scone which was tasty. I was very pleased with this restaurant and will come again when I'm in the area.

Delicious! - Edit

My husband and I were passing through Arcata, CA about a month ago on vacation, and we were very fortunate to find this great restaurant. I liked the atmosphere, but the food was unbelievably good. My husband had the tempeh tacos, and I had the Reuben. I would highly recommend both. Also, even if you are full make sure you look at their pastry case before you leave and get something to go. Their brownies are amazing.

Pros: Great Food, Great Staff, Comfy Atmosphere

Delicious Vegan Food - Edit

Despite a previous reviewer, I found no deficit in the menu selections. At 7 PM on a Monday night they offered everything on both the lunch and dinner menus. Everything from hummus and nachos to falafal and burgers. Well done vegan food, delicious vegan-cheese sauce. Very friendly. Also into local and sustainable and seasonal offerings.

Pros: Fast service, Friendly staff, Large Portions

All about the Vegan French Toast - Edit

Ordered the Tofu Scramble and French Toast. Tofu was good the French Toast will demand a return visit. The also have a few vegan baked goods for sale at the counter.

Pros: Fresh Squeezed OJ, French Toast

Cons: Remote location

Great vegan Mac & Cheese - Edit

I stopped in here on a California road trip and was glad that I did. I had their vegan macaroni and cheese, which was made with a homemade nutritional yeast based cheese sauce and had perfectly cooked broccoli in it and gomashio on top. It was so good, exactly like how I would make it at home. I also had an acai berry smoothie made with rice milk which was great as well. The whole meal was very satifying comfort/health food.

Support this restaurant, but... - Edit

...it was nothing really to get excited about. The food was OK, and thank God there was a vegetarian option in this podunk town, but the Wildflower should definitely get some more exciting recipes to work with. Too much garlic, too much onion, too much chili... These things are just coverings for mediocre food taste. If you prepare something nice or exotic, the need to over spice isn't there.

I don't want to give the wrong impression, though. It was a friendly place with the right attitude, and the food was certainly good for a weary traveling soul like us. But I think a restaurant needs to romance the locals, yes? And if I lived in the area, I wouldn't find this to be a viable alternative to making my own sandwich at home.

Pros: Cruelty-free (mostly), Decent food, Friendly service.

Cons: Boring menu, Over-spiced

Spectacular Food! - Edit

Perhaps other reviewers had valid complaints in 2007-08, but my several recent meals here were FANTASTIC! I also visited ~1989, and enjoyed it. It's the best restaurant in the area! Arcata doesn't have the decadent vegan desserts one finds in bigger cities (S.F., Eugene OR, etc.), but Wildflower's meal (entree, salad, etc) quality can compare very well against most restaurants I've tried. One can quibble over whether it rates a 5 or 4: expectations play a large part. If one expect greatness, one might be disappointed. I was VERY PLEASED. If I lived near it, I'd be a FREQUENT customer -- and there are many veg. restaurants near me. [Note: I believe the other restaurant some reviewers mentioned is out of business.]

Pros: excellent food, great selection, friendly staff

YUM-tastic! - Edit

My husband and I have eaten there twice now and were, for the most part, pretty impressed with what we ordered. We tried to order something different both times so we could get a fair overview of what their vegan offerings were (we're both vegan). After highly scientific analysis, we've come to the conclusion that the sunloaf, mushroom stroganoff, vegan mac 'n cheeze, and vegan nachos are yum-o-riffic and that the cajun/southern dish (can't remember exactly what they called it) was unremarkable. The cookie with the jam center and chocolate drizzle is pretty darn good, too. As far as the waitperson goes, unlike several others our experience was okay; the guy seemed relatively friendly. It's not cheap and can get pretty noisy, but we definitely plan to go back and would recommend Wildflower Cafe to others.

Pros: vegan options, large portions, good food

Cons: a bit on the expensive side, small and noisy

Great Vegan option in Arcata - Edit

My wife and I were recently in Arcata for several days and we ate at the Wildflower Cafe everyday. Great vegan breakfasts, good soups, creative specials, and a good variety of dishes. The vegan deserts were limited to cookies. The service is very friendly and helpful. Very affordable prices. We enjoyed this place very much.

Pros: Many vegan options, friendly, big variety

Cons: no deserts

Just Okay - Edit

I was skeptical of this cafe after reading the reviews, and decided to go to Tranquilitea. Unfortunately, it was closed so the Wildflower Cafe it was. The waitress wasn't very friendly and our food was not that great. We ordered two [vegan] breakfast dishes and both were pretty bland. On a positive note, it tasted healthy and they have good vegan cookies. It was pretty overpriced, though. Overall it was an okay experience, but I doubt I'll eat there again.

Pros: Healthy, Vegan Friendly

Cons: Somewhat Bland Food, Unfriendly Staff

Good and bad - Edit

Good options and some of it tastes great. The main problem is every time I have been there, is after the fact. Perhaps their oil is too close to the heat and it has turned, or something else entirely. I am not the only one I know either, its all well and good until about an hour after, it goes right through you. The service is usually slow and the food is both hit and miss. Not a bad gamble though for what's available in the area.

Pros: options

Cons: post meal discomfort, service

not as good as one would hope - Edit

This is one of the only all veggie restraunts in arcata, tranquilitea is the other. wildflower has very bland food. very conventional. and not local organic as written in another review. i walk to the bathroom and you can see there products on shelves and much of the food was not organic or local. esspecially depressing living in such an organically agricultural area. the service is slow because there is one waiter for the whole room and when the place gets busy this causes some issues.

Pros: ok food, small amt of organic, ??

Cons: slow service, food, local organic slim to non

Return to Arcata Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wildflower Cafe and Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3546 times since Aug 2007.