Wildflower Cafe and Bakery

707-822-0360

1604 G St, Arcata, California, USA, 95521

Veggie cafe and bakery offering daily breakfast and lunch, plus some dinners. Lunch items such as sandwiches, burgers, tempeh tacos, and organic salads at moderate prices. Dinner include savory main entrees with international influences, and prices are higher. Small, country atmosphere. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-3:00pm, Thu-Sun 5:30pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by kindlizard

cute and tidy with great food and service! - Edit

My husband and I are here on a road trip from Seattle to LA. It was just off Hwy101 in a cute sleep town. The food was delicious and the service was warm and inviting.

great food, wonderful service - Edit

Tasty spicy black bean/quinoa burger and yummy Rueben substituting a nut burger!

Great place! - Edit

I went there several times during a California road trip, and they had something to make everyone in my five-person (mostly not vegetarian or vegan) party happy! The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the booth at the front by the window is really nice. I loved everything I ate there, except their smoothies are only okay. Their tofu scramble totally changed my life--or at least my tofu-eating life. My attempts to copy it have led to the best tofu scrambles ON EARTH coming out of my kitchen.

Cute bathroom for selfies, too!

Pros: great food, something for everyone, vegan options for most dishes

Okay - Edit

Besides barely getting there on time to get a table because it was so crowded, this place was okay. Okay sounds bad, but it was like an "OKAY!!!!!!!", ya know? I would definitely go again, but maybe try and get a table not in the middle. They are INCREDIBLY vegan friendly (except they do use Earth Balance that uses palm oil which is unsustainable and not rainforest-friendly), but I was able to see into the kitchen and saw a girl just wipe the pan with a cloth after cooking who knows what, meat or eggs, I should have asked but I was afraid..shame on me. I got the Blackbean-Quinoa Burger with a side salad (no dressing), and added grilled mushrooms and asked for sprouts but never got them. The burger was...okay. I'm not sure if this sounds possible, but it was a little dry but oily at the same time. There wasn't too much oil on my hands, but I had oil stains on my napkin. The patty was mildly spicy (not a con). I didn't like the atmosphere of people around me. We were too close and the entire place is too small for comfort. They had vegan desserts, but I didn't get any. Cookies and a lemon poppyseed vegan scone.
Do I recommend this place? I think I do. They have tons of vegan options. And I mean TONS!
Update: went again and got their Falafel with a cup of rice and beans, as well as a cup of coffee (no cream or sugar). The coffee was delicious, the rice and beans were amazing, the Falafel tasted like seafood (not in a good way unless you like the taste of octopus which I have had before I went vegan). So...don't get the Falafel.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-15

Pros: Tons of options and anything can be made vegan, Servers are friendly and give plenty of order time, Food is 3.5/5 stars (they do take-outs)

Cons: Crowded, Claustrophobics beware, Parallel parking most times

Great vegan friendly spot - Edit

Great spot for breakfast, good coffee, pancakes, ext. they have lunch and dinner too (they close at 3 then reopen at 5) they serve beer as well and have many vegan baked goods. There are a lot of vegan options on the menu and is very vegan friendly for a not all vegan cafe. Oh and big portions and not to expensive either. I could barley finish 2 pancakes haha

Pros: big selections, tastes great, good ingredients

Cons: only one I can think of is uncomfortable seats hah

Everything is Delicious! - Edit

I've been to Wildflower several times and took my meat-eating chef friend there who said, "Wow. This is so flavorful!" Their menu options are diverse and delicious- even down to the drinks! The locals know this place is a gem and I'll continue to bring friends when I go.

Pros: Menu variety, Presentation of food, Quality of flavor

Cons: Bathrooms are behind the kitchen.

delightful surprise - Edit

We ate there on 9/26/14. The hummus plate appetizer had a variety of fresh veggies, hummus, warm pita bread, and a spicy tappenade. It was abundant and delicious. The side salads were crisp and fresh. I had a plate of steamed veggies over fresh greens and my friend had a dragon bowl with spicy noodles. Total cost was just under $30 and we felt like we had enjoyed a feast. It's a small, friendly place with great service. Thank you Happy Cow! I never would have found them without you.

Pros: Good service, Fresh food, Abundant quantities

Average - Edit

Good food, I had the french toast, my wife had the potatoes and vegetables and we ordered the TBLT's to go. The sandwiches were good. I didnt care for the fries...

Pros: Location, Friendly Staff

SMALL VEGAN CAFE - Edit

I had the tofu pesto scramble, there must have been over !/2lb of tofu, well cooked with pesto, fresh, local veggies and tasty home fries

The staff were very knowledgeable about the difference between vegan and vegetarian diets and were only to happy to help ..... they even sold me a box of tea bags to save me shopping

The food was good, the place was clean and the vibe was Arcata all over

I'll be back next time I'm in the area for sure

Pros: Vegan food, Fresh,, local veggies, Prompt service

Cons: Restricted choices

Yummy GF Treats! - Edit

Driving home to SLC from Eureka we found this cosy cafe. Since we were at the beginning of a 13hr drive I got breakfast takeout: thick gluten-free banana pancakes, gf sugar cookies (heart-shaped!), and scrumptious & moist gingersnaps (good flavouring with molasses and clove). The cost was cheaper than SLC. The service was very friendly, our order was filled quickly and we were on our way. I wish I'd bought more gingersnaps for the road.

Pros: Good value, Tasty food, Friendly staff

A gem! - Edit

This small café and bakery is an absolute gem. On a recent trip to Arcata, we ate there twice in one day, and had to leave early the next day or we might have had additional meals there. The menu is vegetarian with many vegan options and specials. They can make most of the vegetarian dishes vegan upon request. My husband enjoyed the vegan mac and cheese at dinner, and earlier in the day had vegan biscuits and gravy which he also liked a lot. I had a unique dish for breakfast that I loved - grilled (fried?) potato pieces topped with delicious steamed organic garden vegetables. At dinner, I opted for the Hawaiian tempeh burger which was delectable. The service was excellent; very friendly accommodating staff. The prices were average - not cheap, not extreme. If you are vegan and visit the McKinleyville/Arcata/Eureka area at least one meal at Wildflower Café and Bakery is a must!

Pros: Very fresh produce, Great vegan options, Terrific service

Cons: Parking can be challenging, Small, may have to wait

Can't Say Enough About Wildflower.. Delicious!! - Edit

This place is amazing! Delicious food, very nice staff, cozy little cafe. I stopped here on a trip to the Redwood National Forest and I'm so glad I did! The vegan french toast was AMAZING. The vegan options on their menu are clearly labeled and numerous. I wish there was a place like this around my way!

Pros: delicious, variety, clearly labeled menu

Cons: none

Recommend this place! - Edit

Came here for dinner while on vacation. I ordered the vegan mac and cheese which was yummy! I am not a fan of vegan cheese but had no problem with this. It also came with cornbread and kale which were equally good. I also got a lemon thyme scone which was tasty. I was very pleased with this restaurant and will come again when I'm in the area.

Great Little Spot - Edit

Great food for a little cafe. Staff were great and friendly.

Delicious! - Edit

My husband and I were passing through Arcata, CA about a month ago on vacation, and we were very fortunate to find this great restaurant. I liked the atmosphere, but the food was unbelievably good. My husband had the tempeh tacos, and I had the Reuben. I would highly recommend both. Also, even if you are full make sure you look at their pastry case before you leave and get something to go. Their brownies are amazing.

Pros: Great Food, Great Staff, Comfy Atmosphere

Delicious Vegan Food - Edit

Despite a previous reviewer, I found no deficit in the menu selections. At 7 PM on a Monday night they offered everything on both the lunch and dinner menus. Everything from hummus and nachos to falafal and burgers. Well done vegan food, delicious vegan-cheese sauce. Very friendly. Also into local and sustainable and seasonal offerings.

Pros: Fast service, Friendly staff, Large Portions

All about the Vegan French Toast - Edit

Ordered the Tofu Scramble and French Toast. Tofu was good the French Toast will demand a return visit. The also have a few vegan baked goods for sale at the counter.

Pros: Fresh Squeezed OJ, French Toast

Cons: Remote location

Delicious!!! - Edit

The food was AMAZING! The service is great! I cannot say enough good things about the food. I highly recommend eating here... try everything!

Return to Arcata Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wildflower Cafe and Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.