Wildflour Market and Bakery

Contact 540-343-4543

1212 Fourth St SW, Roanoke, Virginia, USA, 24016

Serves meat, vegan options available. Emphasis is on whole food and original recipes. Fresh bread made in-house. Menu includes a full page of veggie choices. The atmosphere is homey, comfortable. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Bakery, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by kkamenetsky

No Choices - Edit

I'm not sure what experience the other two people had but I wish I'd had the same. Wildflour is literally in my backyard...maybe 30 steps from my door to theirs, so I really wish it was good.

I've tried it twice in the two years since I moved into the neighborhood and was severely disappointed both times. The servers weren't helpful. I worked in a restaurant for five years so I understand sometimes it depends on the server but I'm not willing to try again.

Both times there were only two things on the menu I could eat and I had to make changes to both to make them fit my diet (at the time I was just vegetarian and no eggs...I'm full vegan now so I'm sure it would be even harder). They couldn't answer my question about what was in the bread. They didn't notice when I wasn't eating my entree - both times- and when I mentioned it while paying -both times- I just got and "oh, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it."

Both times we took home my leftover and my will-eat-anything fiance tried to eat them the next day and ended up trashing them. His exact words on the first one was "oh my God, that's so gross."

I really do wish it were better because we wouldn't have to walk 20 minutes to get downtown and back to go out to eat or get in our car and drive to the Wildflour at Tower's (different owner...waaaay better food and choices). If things have changed in the last year let me know and I will try it again.

Pros: Proximity to my home

Cons: No Options, Staff not very helpful, What I could eat just wasn't any good

Great food! - Edit

They have lots of vegan options, you just have to ask the staff. They're happy to change a dish up. We've been twice, the first time I had the red beans and rice (without cheese) which was very good. Second time I had a millet patty with no cheese and I added avocado. Very yummy! They even double checked which breads were vegan for me! None of their desserts are vegan.

Pros: very vegan-friendly, great food, helpful staff

Cons: no vegan desserts

A perfect place for a vegetarian on the road - Edit

Roanoke is a usual stop for us on the way from NJ to visit family in North and South Carolina. We always have dinner at the Wildflour Market and Bakery. The storefront space is large, open and inviting. The staff is friendly, helpful and efficient. There are always multiple vegetarian options including specials. There is a variety, Mexican dishes, lasagna, ricotta pie, and a tasty grain burger that is different than the usual veggie burger fare. My family has enjoyed the food on each visit. Last, but not least, they have a huge selection of fabulous cakes! After multiple stops here, I can honestly say there is no downside.

Pros: tasty food, welcoming space, friendly staff

Cons: parking

Return to Roanoke Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wildflour Market and Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2268 times since Apr 2010.