Wildebeest

Contact 01326210602

13 Arwenack St, Falmouth, England, TR11 3JD

Opened Mar 2014, this is a small vegan cafe and bar in the harbor town of Falmouth. The kitchen draws inspiration from around the world makes a diverse range of vegan food from noodle soups and tostada to cupcakes and cocktails. Seating is limited so book ahead. Open Mon 5:00pm-11:00pm, Wed-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm. Food served 5.30-9.30pm

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by SandraD24

The best restaurant in Cornwall (oh and it happens to be vegan..) - Edit

The food at Wildebeest is far by far the tastiest, most inventive and beautifully presented food you will taste in Cornwall, even if you're not vegan! The chefs manage to balance the presentation of high end restaurants but with great sized portions and fresh, local ingredients. This is one of my favorite restaurants in the world!

Pros: Raw desserts , Portion sizes, Inventive menu

Cons: Limited seating

Food doesn't get much better than this... - Edit

Food doesn't get much better than this... and it happens to be vegan. This restaurant attracts and pleases vegans and meat eaters alike. The food is beautifully presented and prepared to a high standard.

It is also a great place to visit just for a drink. The hot chocolate is the best ever (someone who isn't vegan even said so). The decor is fun and inviting.

I've visited several times now and have never been disappointed!

Pros: Good value for money, Healthy yet full of flavour, Wonderful sweet treats

Cons: If only it could be open all the time...

Lovely Find in Falmouth! - Edit

Came here for lunch earlier in the summer.

The place is not too big, but with high ceilings and bright colours, it never felt cramped. The huge blackboard on the wall is a cute idea and was quite amusing to read while we waited for our food.

There was a range of wines/ciders/beers on offer but it still felt more like a cafe- definitely family friendly, judging by the little ones who were dining there. The waitress was very pleasant.

I ordered the mushroom har gor (crystal skin dumpling) from the 'light bites' menu, which was small (as the waitress warned me)but surprisingly filling. Very enjoyable, with strong umami flavours but some sweetness too (perhaps from the sticky garlic sauce). Perhaps a little expensive for what it was but overall very satisfying.

My friend chose the butternut squash tacos with cashew cheese, refried beans, and corn on the cob served with guac and salsa. The guacamole was sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, which I really liked. The whole thing was quite healthy but delicious.

For dessert she the chocolate espresso torte with roasted hazelnuts, which came with 3 raspberries & coconut cream on the side. I had a cherry & vanilla bean cheesecake, which also came with a dollop of coconut cream, plus drizzled chocolate sauce and dried rose petals. Both were entirely raw and very prettily presented. My friend was crazy about her torte and was impressed by the aeration- very whipped and light, almost mousse-y. It's not something either of us have managed to do at home. Mine was great too, the cheesecake bit was silky smooth and melt-in-the-mouth, while the base was very nutty and moreish. Despite being so light, both were VERY filling, so make sure you leave enough room!

The only thing that was slightly annoying was the abundance of salads on the relatively small (3 options for light bites/main meals etc) menu. Very nice-sounding salads, but still salads. I don't think it does much to change peceptions of vegan food, which they say is their aim. I'm pretty sure the menu changes often though, so this is a very minor qualm.

Overall a really lovely little place and I'd definitely go again.

Pros: quality globally-inspired menu, delicious, light, bright space

Cons: A touch expensive, emphasis on health (salads), that's just me though

Vegan Restaurant Perfection - Edit

Large range of healthy main meals, Light meals and desserts and drinks.

Very nice to find good vegan cakes and ice creams that an omnivore wouldn't believe had no animal products in.

Friendly staff and pleasant building.

Prices of main meals average price but of very high standard. Soup (served with olive oil on toast) and light meals seemed very good value.

Would recommend to anyone/everyone.

Pros: Nice building., friendly staff, tasty food

Cons: Uncomfortable seating

Small but perfect! - Edit

I was really looking forward to eating at a 100% vegan restaurant in Cornwall, and this didn't disappoint! The menu was really tempting, I think there were three options each for starters, mains and desserts (plus lots of good ice cream), and some exciting drinks, like the smoothies. There were three of us, and we all loved our food. I had the miso soup and sushi together, and they were beautiful. My partner had the polenta with wasabi foam, and thought it was delicious but could have been a bit stronger. My friend loved the raw pad thai. All the desserts were sublime, especially the cherry and vanilla cheesecake. Highly recommended, it was well cooked, creative food, and very impressive too.

Pros: Ambitious menu, Great presentation, Delicious food

Cons: A bit small

Positive attitude and exiting food - Edit

I ate at Wildebeest a few days ago and I was really impressed by all the exiting food on the menu, many of which you wouldn't expect in Cornwall (aside from the fact that you probably wouldn't expect a vegan restaurant in Cornwall).
In my opinion they really make an effort to offer great food and make feel their guest comfortable. Although there is not lots of space, it has been furnished in an intelligent way. You feel accommodating at Wildebeest, the waiters are very friendly, the interior is tasteful, there are some leaflets about vegan stuff, there is a good Wi-Fi connection and the food is amazing! Overall a chilling atmosphere and a great experience.
Support them!

Pros: good attitude, chilling atmosphere, amazing and exiting food

World Vegan Food - Edit

Great, tasty well planned menu - a taste of different shores. I particularly lot their Mexican food and giant chocolate chip cookies!

Fresh innovative design, though small - a place you could take anyone to impress them with Vegan food.

Pros: Small venue - book for evenings.

Cons: Great fresh food, Friendly staff (owners), Good value

It's okay - Edit

I'd love to love this place after waiting so long to get there, but left hungry and a bit disappointed. The menu is small, and most of it had sold out (we'd booked, on a quiet midweek slot). The portion sizes are too small and not filling. The Tex Mix for instance would be an embarrassment at a Mexican restaurant - just two small tortillas and some dips - for a main course! The staff are lovely, the atmosphere is great, the place is fine (except the sticky tables), but they need to stop running out of food and offer larger portions.

Pros: lovely staff, intimate, good coffee

Cons: limited menu, small portions , sticky tables

top taste - Edit

I have eaten here three times now since the opening night; each meal has been excellent with nothing to fault. The staff are very helpful and friendly. It is always clean and the kitchen is visible from the dining area! The atmosphere is good. The décor is quirky; there are blackboards in the toilets with amusing, chalked, cartoons. The purple Auber-jeans tickled me. The selection of dishes is reasonable: usually about three starters and three mains (even if one is a salad: to me a salad is not a meal it is an accompaniment!) and a good selection of excellent, irresistible, sweets. I will continue to eat here on an occasional special treat basis. The only criticism I can make is the portion size: for me to feel full I would need two main courses but I am Gourmand rather than gourmet. So, this would probably not be of concern to some other people.
I would recommend anyone to eat here. I took my omnivorous friend (her father is a butcher) and she could not believe that vegan food could be so tasty!

Pros: Excellent food, helpful and friendly staff, good atmosphere

Awesome! - Edit

We have eaten here pretty much every day since being in Falmouth-it is possibly the best food I have EVER eaten. I think I may have to move to Falmouth...

The staff are lovely and friendly and the decor is clean, smart and welcoming (including allowing our dog in). So far, we've tried the black rice noodle salad (so so yummy), the mex mix which was super tasty and some cucumber/seitan rolls (delicious!) The deserts are also very appealing-raw chocolate orange cheesecake was delicious but the chocolate and hazelnut ice cream was superb!

I cannot rate this cafe highly enough-the best cafe I have ever visited and the fact that it is totally vegan is just the icing on the cake.

Pros: Regularly changing exciting menu, Super tasty and fresh flavours, All vegan!!

Completely superb! - Edit

First off, I was surprised to even find vegetarian food in Falmouth, let alone some of the best vegan food I've ever eaten. Wilderbeest is a small, friendly and modern restaurant serving a range of vegan foods and cakes. Between me and my friends we tried everything on the menu and it was all amazing! I was completely blown away by the gnocchi and the 'cheesecake' was to die for.

Make sure you book for dinner!

Pros: Fabulous food, Great location, Friendly staff

Absolutely Outstanding - Edit

I ate here while on holiday with my family (none are vegans or vege). It was literally one of the best places I've ever eaten at. The staff were nice and friendly, the food was outstanding and the prices were extremely good (especially for the quality of the food). We tried the Butternut Squash Laksa (a Malasian rice noodle curry with a thick coconut sauce), the spicy lentil tomato soup, and the Mex-mix platter (cashew cheese, refried beans, guacamole, salsa, blue tortillas! - it was a main meal sized portion) and I had a cookie to take away. Everything was obviously freshly home made, everything was so amazingly tasty! The cashew cheese on the mexican platter was one of the best vegan cheeses I've tried. My sister who is a picky meat eater loved the laksa very much and her boyfriend who had the same dish commented that it was the best meal he'd had all weekend! I tasted a bit of everything and it was all great. The coffee I had was also to a very high standard. The decor and atmosphere is lovely too, I cannot recommend this place highly enough, I hope it sticks around and does well, and I hope to visit Falmouth sometime to get to eat here again!

Pros: Outstanding food, great price, nice atmosphere and service

Cons: actually none!

Finally! A veggy hangout in town! - Edit

Had a wonderful first time experience here. We had the black bean tacos with their home made hot sauce. The food was fresh and tasty. The chia fresca was delicious. The service was friendly, warm and welcoming. The atmosphere was clean and comfortable. I may become a regular here for those nights out in town :)

Return to Falmouth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wildebeest closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.