Wild Ginger

Contact 212-966-1883

380 Broome St (at Little Italy, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10013

Pan Asian vegan, based on Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, and South Asian appetizers, main entrees, and beverages. Uses many sauces made in-house, fresh local produce, tofu, and a varied selection of seitan and soy protein. Casual eastern atmosphere with Pan-Asian decor. Open daily.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Pan Asian

First Review by Poundie

Good Service/Atmosphere, Bland Food - Edit

I wish I could give Wild ginger a better rating but the food was very underwhelming for me. The spring rolls were honestly the worst I've ever had. They were filled almost entirely with jicama and nothing else and the hoisin sauce they use for dipping isn't a good pairing. The noodles I got were good but it's something that I could easily whip up myself at home in a few minutes.

I might stop by one more time to see if Wild Ginger can redeem themselves food wise but I won't go out if my way. To end on a positive note the prices were reasonable and the service was very good. They are also in a nice walkable area.

Great Vegan in Little Italy - Edit

Lots of wonderful Vegan choices and a gluten free menu. Overly soy based dishes however but a few choices without. Good price, ambiance and service.

Pros: Ambience, Gluten Free Menu

Cons: Soy Based Dishes

Overrated - Edit

My wife & I were sincerely hoping that the "Pan Asian" here would be creative & delicious. The pre-made dishes that were recommended to us came out in less than 5 minutes & looked & tasted like it came out of a package from the freezer at the vegan grocery. We won't be back.

Pros: Good beer!

Cons: Bad Food!

Top class food in pleasant restaurant - Edit

I had lunch there in September 2014. Waiting staff prompt, knowledgeable and helpful. The appetizer was King Oyster mushroom teriaki - fantastic! Taste and texture much like fresh calamari (I can still recall tasty food from my previous life as a piscaterian 30 years ago). Main course was of similar high standard. Thoroughly recommend this place

Pros: Great food, good service, creative menu

Cons: not cheap

Good value with lunch to spare - Edit

We had the sweet citrus soy protein on a bed of kale and it was good, but a bit monotonous after a while, partly because it was such a huge portion. But it made for a great lunch the next day. We also had sweet and sour sesame soy protein, which was really good. The protein had a nice batter over it that held on well to the sauce. There was random entertainment outside where a guy pulled his car to the curb, opened the door, blasted music, and danced around on the sidewalk. Maybe this happens regularly?

Pros: Big portions, Nice atmosphere, Great food

Great Vegan Food - Edit

I had lunch at Wild Ginger yesterday, the menu was so varied it was difficult to choose. The food was tasty and filling but surprisingly light (in a good way!). When I was done I just didn't want to leave. The menu can be confusing because some of the mains just sound like they must have meat and the deserts must have dairy, but they don't. The Bibimbop was particularly a revelation, the ingredients for this traditional Korean dish were strange but all worked together perfectly. And the pumpkin soup that came as an appetizer was an amazing thin broth with chunks of pumpkin that tasted nothing like I expected, but so good.

Pros: Tasty food, Inexpensive, Good music

Cons: Small, not good for a group

Standard Asian food - Edit

The staff here were nice and the place is quite dark/cozy- ideal for dinners/dates. I had a curry and my partner had a noodle dish- the food was good, nothing amazing but just 'good'. Doesn't really stuck in my mind but a nice option for good food if you are in the area. It is quite expensive though (in my opinion).

Also as someone else has mentioned- this place is apparently 100% vegan BUT I'm certain one dish on the menu has WHEY in it, or listed in the menu. I can't see it on their website now but I'm certain it was here, so may be worth bearing in mind if you have allergies or are very strict.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: expensive

Great Asian Vege Food - Edit

This place is right in Little Italy. It's not a super upscale dining experience but it's a cute place for an evening out. The salt and pepper mushroom for starter and soy cutlets for main were the stars of our meal. The other dishes were OK as well. We asked for recommendations and this may be the best approach. We enjoyed our meal.
Updated from previous review on Sun

Pros: In the heart of little italy, easy transport

Cons: some meals ok (best to get popular ones)

Rubber seitan and strange service - Edit

I can't say much about food, they have simple asian dishes as a lot of NYC vegan cafes, but if you want to eat seitan, avoid this place. Their seitan is rubber and even spice sauсe can't help!

Service is also strange. Only when I didn't tip (because i don't like the service at all) the waitress came to me with bill again and asked me some strange things about my beer. But what did he do before it?

I don't understand joyful comments about this place and I can't recommend it. It's ordinary experience and, btw, they have not 100% menu. [edit by staff]

Cons: Unpleasant staff , Fake vegan owners, Rubber seitan

Crowdpleaser - Edit

I went with my non-vegetarian friends to this restaurant and we ordered several things family-style. They loved the food and I think that says a lot! My favorite was the black pepper orange cutlets.

Pros: Variety, Crowdpleaser

great desserts - Edit

We had lunch with another couple and shared family style. The menu has various different Asian items and we noticed that at least one item was marked as NV, not vegan, for having whey in it. Also, the Thai iced tea was offered either traditional or vegan. I originally chose Wild Ginger as I believed it to be all vegan, but it's not. Despite this, we had a great meal and fabulous desserts. We shared the summer rolls, dumplings, moo shu, black pepper seitan, mango salad and bibimbap bowl. We were all pleased, but the standouts were definitely the desserts, a chocolate bundt cake with peanut butter mousse and a blueberry cheesecake. The cheesecake is probably the best I've ever had. Overall, our meal was great and the service was good.

Pros: lots of different Asian dishes, fabulous desserts

Cons: not all vegan

Highly recommended - Edit

If you've read my reviews, I'm both picky and not shy to share my feelings about less than stellar vegetarian fare, especially in a place with so many choices as the five Burroughs (sp?).

I can then unreservedly recommend this location of Wild Ginger. I had the best Udon noodle soup, and fantastic Agedashi Tofu starter.
Great little place.

What a find!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Food, Service

Cons: Tiny, get there early to get a table

Great Food - Edit

My husband and me went there in April 2012 and we really enjoyed our meals !
The staff was friendly, the food tasted great (I can't remember what we had)and it was not too expensive.
If we return to New York someday we will definately go there again !
My husband ordered some coffee but there was cow milk in it, this was very bad, they didn't ask what kind of milk he wanted and in a VEGAN place you shouldn't get some coffee with cow milk.

Pros: Exzellent food, Not expensive, Nice place, not big

Cons: Coffee with cow milk - without asking

One of the Greats - Edit

torn because I love it and want to to stay low key but have to give it up, this place is fantastic... One of my go to spots that always comes through... nice space, super nice staff, and delicious... they deliver too...

Delicious! - Edit

My husband and I visited this restaurant and were very impressed. The staff was so friendly and the food was exceptional! If you go there, save room for dessert and get the pb bomb - you won't regret it :)

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff

Cons: Isn't 100% vegan as Happy Cow claimed

I LOVE Wild Ginger. - Edit

I love this little place, nestled in the heart of Little Italy it is a total 'blink and you will miss it kind of place. The lunch special is ridiculously delcious and cheap by NYC standards. Wild Ginger has great food and great service. Highly reccomended.

Pros: Best Asian Vegetarian, Lots Of Vegan Options, Priced Well

Great (Mostly) Vegan Asian Gem in Little Italy! - Edit

My wife and I just has lunch at Wild Ginger and completely enjoyed it. The waiter (owner?) was polite and friendly, and the food was delicious. We had the fried oyster mushroom appetizer, which reminded me a bit of calamari, the way it was prepared. I had the mushroom miso soup and my wife had the hot and sour soup, both of which were excellent, though the hot and sour could have been a little hotter. We also had the tofu salad (very fresh tofu and greens), the steamed veggie dumplings, and the kimchi udon noodles, all excellent. The menu is, as advertised, "pan-asian" with a mix of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Thai selections. Most are vegan and the ones that are not are clearly marked as such (one seitan dish had whey protein in it for some reason). We'll definitely eat there again next time we're in the area!

I love this place - Edit

I love this place. Everytime I visit NY I would go there to eat lunch or dinner. The decoration keep u in relaxed mood. The entrees are always able to make me dazzling of joy. I love the bibimbap, the pad thai and the vietnamese rolls. The Peanut cake dessert is amazing and the cheesecake is also very recommendable.

Pros: Service, Decoration, Food!

Wild Ginger - Vegan Warning - Edit

FYI this applies to their Cobble Hill location, but seems like it could apply to all their locales - their soy cheese is NOT vegan, it has casein (milk product) in it. It's not marked on the menu as such, I had to ask for them to read their soy cheese label. They were happy to do so, but I just wanted to warn anyone having (for example) the soy cheese-stuffed wontons at a "vegan" restaurant. There was also an item marked as having whey (milk product) and you should specify whether your thai iced tea/coffee is made vegan or non-vegan. Hope this helps!

Misleading - Edit

Went to Wild Ginger today. Food was fine but I ordered a mango lassi and asked twice if it was vegan. "Yes" was the answer both times. On the paper menu, I didn't see anything saying it wasn't vegan. On the outside of the menu it says "vegan." I have a mango lassi, I'm allergic to dairy, I get very ill, I'm now seriously pissed off. I check out the WG website, it says the lassi isn't vegan. I shouldn't have to look at the website instead of the paper menu in front of me in the restaurant. Why have a 98% vegan place? I'm seriously over eating at "vegan" restaurants in NY.

Cons: Incorrect info, Made me ill

Affordable and Amazing! - Edit

My boyfriend and I were walking in Chinatown with my future in-laws, my boyfriend's brother and his girlfriend when our tummies were starting to grumble. My boyfriend and I being vegans, we all started looking for some good for us but still appetizing for the rest of the crowd (two of which won't touch tofu or any mock-meats). We stumbled upon Wild Ginger Kitchen, which had lots of great vegan dishes but noodle dishes for the picky people in our party. My boyfriend and I got an appetizer of vegetable dumplings - probably the best I've ever had! My boyfriend ordered a mock seafood plate with everything from vegan scallions to vegan shrimp, and he absolutely loved it. Everyone loved their food, even the picky ones! Dessert was out of this world - and they had plenty of chocolate desserts (something I hate at a lot of vegan restaurants, they avoid chocolate). At the end, the bill for the 6 of us was incredibly reasonable seeing as we all had drinks, appetizers, and dinner. My boyfriend and I ended up going back the next day for lunch! We went in February and being a small place, the draft from the door was a bit cold. Also, there was a group of Japanese business men in the restaurant so it was quite noisy (though I figure if a group of Japanese business men, very demanding restaurant goers, goes to Wild Ginger, it must be extra good!).

Pros: Affordable, Delicious food, Lots of choices

Cons: Small, Drafty in wintertime, Noisy

Affordable and outrageously delicious - Edit

Wild Ginger has become one of my favorite Saturday or Sunday lunch spots. First, there are all sorts of perfectly portioned meals (complete with miso soup, spring roll and entree) for under $10. Secondly, the food is phenomenal. I have yet to try anything here that I haven't at least like. Most of their menu is downright amazing. Even the non-veg friends don't complain about eating there.

Pros: wonderful dinner, expansive menu options, affordable

Cons: none

Where they get there VEGAN CheeseCake?? - Edit

OMGawd! It is by far, one of the best chocolate cheescake..vegan I have ever tried...aside from my favorite vegan chocolate mousse cake...and the slice was exactly how i would make it...chocolate cookie crumbs in the bottom...smooth in the middle...and hard chocolate on top..
now..let's see if they can top CAROB instead of chocolate!

my favorite was on the menu: hijiki seaweed salad!

one of my favorite restaurants - Edit

I am fortunate to live a mere one and a half blocks away from this fantastic eatery. Whenever friends visit I make sure to take them there, whether they are veg*n or not. If you go there for lunch you can have miso soup, a spring roll, brown rice, a slice of baked squash, and an entree, all delicious, and all for under $10. The decorations are innovative and give your meal an authentic feeling. I go there regularly and have never been disappointed by the staff, they are alway super friendly and cheerful.

Pros: lunch specials, friendly staff

Marvelous food - Edit

I really liked this place. Our seitan skewer appetizer was a perfect blend of sweet and spicy; the basil soy protein was spicy, fresh and crispy, with an array of colorful vegetables; the shredded tofu was light and well-seasoned, though could have used a bit more spice. Our desserts were both spectacular, from the chocolate vegan cheesecake to the peanut butter bomb, which was rich and decadent. Service was friendly, if a bit slow. Prices are reasonable and the portions are just right.

Pros: Food, Prices, Desserts

Cons: Slow service

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wild Ginger closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9798 times since Aug 2007.