Wild Ginger

212-966-1883

380 Broome St (at Little Italy, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10013

Pan Asian vegan, based on Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, and South Asian appetizers, main entrees, and beverages. Uses many sauces made in-house, fresh local produce, tofu, and a varied selection of seitan and soy protein. Casual eastern atmosphere with Pan-Asian decor. Restaurant is kosher under the supervision of the International Kosher Council. Open daily.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Pan Asian

First Review by Poundie

the Perfect delicious affordable lunch - Edit

Nothing fancy but very cozy,warm and has good music that all adds up to relaxing delicious affordable lunch.
After being ripped off in other places in New York it was so nice to relax into a Jasmine Tea and a very tasty and healthy Asian Vegan lunch.
Highly recommended!

Pros: affordable , Delicious, Atmospheric

Cons: Not many tables you might have to wait or return l

Also called LuAnn's Wild ginger - Edit

We had a pleasant dinner here. We had the Grilled Eggplant for appetizer - it was really nice and tender. For entrees we had the Malaysian Curry Stew (soy protein with vegetables, potatoes and pumpkin), and Smoked Teriyaki Seitan. Both were very good. Brown rice came with the dishes. Compared to the take-out menu, miso soup was not included when dining in, a strange minus. Overall, an enjoyable dinner with good service.

Cons: miso soup not included

Delicious! - Edit

Wide range menu, excellent service and delicious food. Highly recommend!

Underwhelming - Edit

The food was bland. The shredded bean curd had very little bean curd in it and way too much beans sprouts - the dish should have been named bean sprouts rather than shredded bean curd. Pad thai was ok. The satay tempeh had the tiniest bit of satay sauce that I could not actually tell you whether the sauce was good. The décor is very nice.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-25

cozy place - Edit

cozy place with a great lunch menu. had a Miso for starter , a main dish with deep fried "chicken" , sweet chili, rice, spring roll, and vegetables, all for 9$. the atmosphere was authentic and charming.

Good Service/Atmosphere, Bland Food - Edit

I wish I could give Wild ginger a better rating but the food was very underwhelming for me. The spring rolls were honestly the worst I've ever had. They were filled almost entirely with jicama and nothing else and the hoisin sauce they use for dipping isn't a good pairing. The noodles I got were good but it's something that I could easily whip up myself at home in a few minutes.

I might stop by one more time to see if Wild Ginger can redeem themselves food wise but I won't go out if my way. To end on a positive note the prices were reasonable and the service was very good. They are also in a nice walkable area.

Great Vegan in Little Italy - Edit

Lots of wonderful Vegan choices and a gluten free menu. Overly soy based dishes however but a few choices without. Good price, ambiance and service.

Pros: Ambience, Gluten Free Menu

Cons: Soy Based Dishes

Delicious! - Edit

This was the best meal I had in NY. Great atmosphere, lots of tempting options and a very tasty meal. The servers were fantastic.

Pros: great food, great staff, great atmosphere

Overrated - Edit

My wife & I were sincerely hoping that the "Pan Asian" here would be creative & delicious. The pre-made dishes that were recommended to us came out in less than 5 minutes & looked & tasted like it came out of a package from the freezer at the vegan grocery. We won't be back.

Pros: Good beer!

Cons: Bad Food!

Top class food in pleasant restaurant - Edit

I had lunch there in September 2014. Waiting staff prompt, knowledgeable and helpful. The appetizer was King Oyster mushroom teriaki - fantastic! Taste and texture much like fresh calamari (I can still recall tasty food from my previous life as a piscaterian 30 years ago). Main course was of similar high standard. Thoroughly recommend this place

Pros: Great food, good service, creative menu

Cons: not cheap

Nice enough food - Edit

Nice pan-asian food and all vegan. A lot of options.

Pros: Good value

Good value with lunch to spare - Edit

We had the sweet citrus soy protein on a bed of kale and it was good, but a bit monotonous after a while, partly because it was such a huge portion. But it made for a great lunch the next day. We also had sweet and sour sesame soy protein, which was really good. The protein had a nice batter over it that held on well to the sauce. There was random entertainment outside where a guy pulled his car to the curb, opened the door, blasted music, and danced around on the sidewalk. Maybe this happens regularly?

Pros: Big portions, Nice atmosphere, Great food

Great Vegan Food - Edit

I had lunch at Wild Ginger yesterday, the menu was so varied it was difficult to choose. The food was tasty and filling but surprisingly light (in a good way!). When I was done I just didn't want to leave. The menu can be confusing because some of the mains just sound like they must have meat and the deserts must have dairy, but they don't. The Bibimbop was particularly a revelation, the ingredients for this traditional Korean dish were strange but all worked together perfectly. And the pumpkin soup that came as an appetizer was an amazing thin broth with chunks of pumpkin that tasted nothing like I expected, but so good.

Pros: Tasty food, Inexpensive, Good music

Cons: Small, not good for a group

Standard Asian food - Edit

The staff here were nice and the place is quite dark/cozy- ideal for dinners/dates. I had a curry and my partner had a noodle dish- the food was good, nothing amazing but just 'good'. Doesn't really stuck in my mind but a nice option for good food if you are in the area. It is quite expensive though (in my opinion).

Also as someone else has mentioned- this place is apparently 100% vegan BUT I'm certain one dish on the menu has WHEY in it, or listed in the menu. I can't see it on their website now but I'm certain it was here, so may be worth bearing in mind if you have allergies or are very strict.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: expensive

Great Asian Vege Food - Edit

This place is right in Little Italy. It's not a super upscale dining experience but it's a cute place for an evening out. The salt and pepper mushroom for starter and soy cutlets for main were the stars of our meal. The other dishes were OK as well. We asked for recommendations and this may be the best approach. We enjoyed our meal.
Updated from previous review on Sun

Pros: In the heart of little italy, easy transport

Cons: some meals ok (best to get popular ones)

Rubber seitan and strange service - Edit

I can't say much about food, they have simple asian dishes as a lot of NYC vegan cafes, but if you want to eat seitan, avoid this place. Their seitan is rubber and even spice sauсe can't help!

Service is also strange. Only when I didn't tip (because i don't like the service at all) the waitress came to me with bill again and asked me some strange things about my beer. But what did he do before it?

I don't understand joyful comments about this place and I can't recommend it. It's ordinary experience and, btw, they have not 100% menu. [edit by staff]

Cons: Unpleasant staff , Fake vegan owners, Rubber seitan

Crowdpleaser - Edit

I went with my non-vegetarian friends to this restaurant and we ordered several things family-style. They loved the food and I think that says a lot! My favorite was the black pepper orange cutlets.

Pros: Variety, Crowdpleaser

cool atmosphere - Edit

Nice music , we payed 20$ for 2 people in midday .. We got miso soup & main dish .. Not remember the name but it was perfect !

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wild Ginger closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.