First Review by rebeccaj

wholesomebakery 18 Apr 2017 - Hello! Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to hear that you liked all that our space has to offer! We hope you visit us again!

not much of a bakery but still yum - Edit

So I was expecting a full bakery but instead it's just a few baked goods behind a cabinet in what appears to be a eco friendly camping and goods store. That being said, the brownie we got was nice, not the best I've ever had but definitely tasty. I'd check it out if you're interested in the actual shop or go to soul fish close by.

wholesomebakery 21 Mar 2017 - Hello!

Thanks so much for your review! Wholesome Bakery's kitchen is a few blocks away from our Cafe location. We are always restocking items throughout the day with freshly baked goodies. We hope that you visit us again

- Wholesome Bakery

vegan desserts! - Edit

Happy to find a bakery to satisfy my vegan sweet tooth! Not only that but gluten free as well! Scored major points with me !

wholesomebakery 21 Mar 2017 - Hi!

Thanks so much for your review! We are happy that we scored some points with you! Please always check back at our Cafe location for new seasonal treats!

What bakery? - Edit

Wow, so yeah, where to start....I guess I will begin with the fact that there is no bakery of which to speak. Instead, they have a "hub" at 24th and Alabama, which really just means that they have three trays of cookie sandwiches inside another bakery's cases without much separation or distinction from the not remotely vegan goods. Pretty sure no one from Wholesome Bakery is ever there to help either. And if you call them, they will tell you that this is where to go. They probably won't answer the phone the first few times you call, so it may take you a while to figure this out. The address on happycow is not where to go if you decide to go for some reason.

Their website absolutely blows in so many ways. Half of the links don't work, they don't have hours (which makes sense once you find out that they don't have a store, but their website doesn't tell you that - there is a blog entry related to the "hub" moving, but that only loads up an error message, like any blog entry) and it makes a bunch of promises of baked goods on which they do not seem to deliver. Maybe I just went on a bad day though.

Also, the solicitation for "donations" to buy a biodiesel truck is offensive. It is ostensibly a capitalist operation, however friendly, nice or "green." Being vegan is cool and all, but I will never be freely handing over my money to someone in exchange for little to nothing so that she, he or they can just make more money. Try selling your products or taking out a loan. It is pretty funny to read though. The provided donation levels go as high as one thousand dollars.

Pros: vegan, seems to be healthy, at least as per the site

Cons: phantom bakery, crappy website, begs for money

wholesomebakery 21 Mar 2017 - Hello!

Thanks for your response!

Our products have not been available at the 24th + Alabama location since early 2012. Please check our our Cafe location that is located at 3376 18th St! Our kitchen is located just blocks away and is always restocking freshly baked goodies throughout the day.

Also, please check out our website as I'm sure you will find it more useful. We deliver within San Francisco throughout the week and East Bay on Saturday. We are also available in your local grocery stores (BiRite, Nugget, Falletti's, LeBeau to name a few).

We hope years later you will give us another chance.

Thanks so much!

San Francisco's first vegan bakery! - Edit

331 Cortland is an "artisan food marketplace": several tiny businesses have space under one roof. One of those businesses is the all-vegan Wholesome Bakery. I checked it out yesterday; they had whole grain bread, really tempting juices, a couple of kinds of chocolate truffles, vanilla chocolate chip cookies, some other kind of cookie that I can't remember, snickerdoodles, chocolate chip cupcakes, and creme sandwiches made from two snickerdoodles with frosting between them.

I got a creme sandwich and a cupcake. The cookie sandwich was wonderful. The cupcake was good, too, but a little heavier/drier than I was expecting (maybe because it was whole grain?). The chocolate chips in it were nice and melty. The frosting was like whipped creme, rather than a sugary buttercreme.

Each item cost a little over $3, if I remember correctly.

I hope I get to go there again. As a bonus, it's not far from Maggie Mudd's ice cream shop.

Pros: vegan goodies!

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wholesome Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.