First Review by mephitine

Great Place! - Edit

I shopped here whenever I was in Ann Arbor. They really need to build one in Lansing. I love Whole Foods and I've lived in several different cities and shopped in several different health food stores. Whole Foods never fails me.

Pros: Prices, Location

Large selection, friendly staff - Edit

I really like both WholeFoods in Ann Arbor. The staff are friendly and will let you sample anything. They also have a no-questions return policy: if you simply do not like an item you purchased, you can return it. The prepared foods choices are pretty good, but really expensive. Also, EVERYTHING is made with a lot of canola oil. Most is organic etc, but I still wouldn't classify it as healthy. Their breads are delicious, and their guacamole is awesome (though really expensive!). If you shop their sales, you can actually spend very little money there. Stock up on canned organic beans, crackers etc, and yogurts. The fruits on sale are usually really well priced, but non-sale fruits are usually more expensive than elsewhere.

Pros: friendly staff, lots of organic, knowledgeable staff

Cons: expensive

It's okay - Edit

Whole Foods is the closest store to me that carries some of the harder-to-find veg goods, so it's convenient for me. However, I'm very disappointed by how small of a vegan selection they have at their deli and bakery. I've been in other WF stores in other cities, so I know that other stores have a larger vegan baked goods selection. They have a couple of cookies that are made there and the rest of the baked goods are imported from the Chicago Diner in Chicago, so who knows how old they are by they time they're put out on the shelves!

Pros: Decent grocery selection

Cons: Deli/Bakery not very vegan-friendly

Vegetarians get lost in the shuffle - Edit

I shop here because they have things I need, but I rarely feel welcome. Vegetarians are the ones who helped build places like this, but now they're oriented to the organic-food crowd and tend to overlook their old vegetarian base. Employees often aren't knowledgeable about which cheeses are free of animal rennet, and don't realize that prepared dishes made with animal-rennet cheese are NOT vegetarian. I've found items that were labeled vegetarian but actually weren't. Many of their store brands are not specific in their labeling. Frustrating. But other than that, a large selection in a bright and clean store. They do carry many items I need, so I'm thankful for that.

Pros: Bright, clean store, good selection

Cons: Vegetarian ambivalent

Return to Ann Arbor Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Whole Foods Market - Washtenaw Ave closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1068 times since Aug 2007.