Whole Foods Market - Soma District

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 415-618-0066

399 4th St (at Harrison St corner, Soma District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94107

Part of large natural foods supermarket chain offering selections in vitamins, supplements, organic produce, natural care products, grocery, deli, bakery, and much more. The Whole Foods Markets in San Francisco feature daily fresh baked vegan donuts and vegan muffins. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm. Open daily.

First Review by atandt

A typical Californian Whole Foods... - Edit

...meaning very fresh produce, tons of local vegan snacks and groceries at lower prices, and great vegan options at the salad bar. Every time I walk into a Whole Foods (or any health food stores in general) in California, it reminds me of how inadequate the ones back in Florida are in comparison. So, if you're visiting like me, take your time and peruse the store - I found quite a few things that I'd love to bring home with me, only if they were more travel-friendly... The downtown location is also a big plus.

Pros: selection, location

Great staff, great store! - Edit

I was looking for my favourite 365 dark chocolate with coconut, but unfortunately the store didn't have any. A friendly staff member gave me a chocolate for free as a sample, how nice! Also, I got a delicious fresh roll, made to order, with grilled tofu, greens and mayo. They didn't have the mayo to hand and apologized repeatedly for making me wait, which was no problem. Great customer service, keep up the good work!

Okay - Edit

I was walking in the South of Market area and stopped in at this Whole Foods Market, October 2012. This location carries the usual natural food and groceries offered by all the WFMs I've been to. Here it also features some locally produced vendors (like local coffee roasters). Also as with the other San Francisco WFMs this one offers vegan donuts in several flavors. I also found a price difference: the organic freeze fried peas snacks were cheaper here for the exact same thing than the ones at my local WFM in Venice, CA. Interesting...

The only thing I didn't like as much about this particular WFM is the floor plan. Due to its space availability, things are laid out not as orderly as I would have liked. It's a long store with one deep side, like an "L" shaped floor space; I prefer the box or rectangular spaces with rows of perfectly aligned shelves.

Our First Wholefoods Experience! - Edit

This particular wholefoods store was the second one we encountered while travelling in the states. We were pretty impressed with it, not as big as the NYC one in Columbus Circle, that was epic! but bigger than most other ones we saw. All the food we bought was delicious, the staff were super friendly. we were there nearly everyday we were in san francisco. highly recommend!

SOMA Whole Foods - Edit

This is a pretty good Whole Foods. One thing I like about it is the vegan options at the deli. In addition to the salad/hot food bar, this location always has a sandwich option, and they do a vegan pizza of the month (smothered in Daiya) that you can buy by the slice. They also have a pretty good beer and wine selection and seem to be pretty on it as far as keeping product in stock.

Bummer that the produce section gets so much sunlight....

Pros: Good SOMA/Downtown option, Vegan Pizza

Cons: Line system isn't ideal..., especially if you want to buy a cartful

WFMI - Edit

This is a typical Whole Foods, it's a really good size and they have plenty of vegan items. I did see a few things they have that are not available in Chicago or even other cities I've been in, such as Follow Your Heart vegan salad dressings and vegan cookie doughs, so those are items worth checking out.

Contributions +17

Time Saver - Edit

When I shop at Whole Foods I don't worry. I don't read labels and don't concern myself with checking products that are against animal testing or natural. I know they are. This saves me lots of time and energy. I love Whole Foods stores.

Pros: Natural Products, Against Animal Testing Products, Organic Products

Cons: A bit expensive

what a place! - Edit

there is only one of these in Toronto, so SF is spoiled rotten with its several locations! an organic/health store supermarket of epic proportions. although it sells meat products, Whole Foods very much caters to the whims, needs, & tastebuds of the veg ilk & the health-conscious. an unexpected treat: a LARGE selection of decent wines takes the risk out of buying something disappointing.

Pros: incredible selection, helpful staff, to-die-for buffet

Cons: pricey at times, not 100% vegetarian

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Whole Foods Market - Soma District closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1227 times since Aug 2007.