Whole Foods Market

• Health-food-store Health Store
313-576-5300

115 Mack Ave (at Woodward Ave), Detroit, Michigan, USA, 48201

Part of large natural foods supermarket chain, offers fresh produce including organic, deli, vitamins, supplements, care products, grocery, and much more. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm. Open daily.

First Review by ileanemcg

convenient - Edit

quite a good usrprise, they have a lot of fermented veg, probiotic drinks, daiya things (and pizza), beers, including belgian beers.

Pros: Fermented goods, tons of vegan food, well located

Tasty buffet - Edit

My man and I found ourselves needing to kill some time and eat food near an event venue, and Whole Foods was right there. Mind you, I watched a food security documentary some months ago that included commentary on Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) being the first major grocery store to return to Detroit. And about whether poor Detroiters can actually afford to shop there. With some skepticism, I walked through the doors looking for the salad/dinner bars. And... well... I'm not wealthy or poor, but the prices I saw weren't crazy out of my budget. My eyes were bigger than my stomach at the dinner/salad bar, so I probably could have saved myself a few dollars there by being more selective. All ingredients are clearly marked, with more than sufficient vegan options. I would love it if they made the butternut squash mashed potatoes vegan, as they smelled SOOO good.

There was no where to put the compostable clamshell containers except the regular trash. That defeats the purpose of them being compostable. If this had happened within an hour or so of my home, I would have taken it home and composted it there.

That said, "If it's inaccessible to the poor it's neither radical nor revolutionary."

Pros: Good vegan selection on dinner/salad bar, Prices not as high as I thought, Respect Detroit!

Cons: Corporate, Not poor-friendly prices, No compost bin

Options For Days - Edit

Not as pricey as you might think, and has so many options for any lifestyle. Its my favorite place to go grocery shopping.

Pros: Options, Sales, Friendliest People Ever

Cons: Produce Can Be Pricey, Bigger Parking Lot Needed

Return to Detroit Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Whole Foods Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.