Whole Earth Vegetarian

• Friend
Contact 63233308

76 Peck Seah St, Central Singapore, Singapore, 079331

Singapore's only Peranakan-Thai vegetarian restaurant operating since 2003. Features a unique and extensive menu with no added MSG. Suitable for friends, families, and company gatherings. Conveniently located next to Tanjong Pagar MRT Exit A. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 5:30pm-9:30pm, Sun 11:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Peranakan

First Review by chanmeng

Food is above average but not worth a visit - Edit

The food here is good. But not outstanding and easily forgotten. However the price is way too expensive for the portion and taste. Not a match in terms of value. I won't return unless my friends or family choose this as a gathering venue.

Cons: Pricey

Great food - Edit

It's the only nice comfortable vegetarian place around Tanjong Pagar. I bring clients there often. The food is great, especially the rendang. Your meat eating friends would find it hard to believe that's it's not meat.

Pros: Big selection, great food.

Cons: Expensive. One pax can easily cost $20.

OK if you want some fake meat - Edit

My friend took me here when i was visiting Singapore. I usually eat pure plant based foods that don't 'pretend' to be meat but this place has lots of 'fake meat'. It was quite nice for a change but the honey 'chicken' i ordered wasn't really a full meal, it needed greens & sides to complement it but it was already quite pricey. i would recommend this place if you feel like eating fake meat. I enjoyed it for a change but wouldn't go back because I prefer full plant based meals with greens, eg salads & stir frys.

Pros: the fake meat was tasty, big menu

Cons: quite pricey, the fake meat dishes require additional sides

love it! - Edit

Amazing tasty food. Brought my meat loving friends here and everyone was amaze at how good it was. No complains from anyone.

Will be back again.

Love the olive fried brown rice, rendang, oat meal tofu.

Mee sua was a miss.

A taste sensation - Edit

We dined here twice during our recent stay and on both occasions it was superb. Whole Earth is really easy to get to and is located right next to Tanjong Pagar mrt. The food is simply stunning and presented beautifully. The food although expensive is well worth it as you will experience some excellent fine dining with their creative and authentic menu. On our first visit we ordered the nonya curry ($20.90) and the spicy kong po monkeyhead mushrooms ($20.90). The texture of the monkeyhead mushrooms was like eating 'real meat', they are so chewy and coupled with the excellent spicy kong po sauce, this made for a delicious dining experience. The nonja curry was also very flavoursome and fresh with a great depth of spices. The brown rice added an extra wholesome texture too. On our second visit, I decided to try the nutty buah keluak ($20.90) and my wife got the sweet and sour delight ($16.90) with a sambal oyster mushroom to share ($17.90). I had been warned that people either love or hate the nutty buah keluak due its sour taste but thankfully I loved it and was so glad I got the chance to experience this authentic dish. The sweet and sour delight was delicious, as was the sambal oyster mushroom side, both bursting with flavour. For dessert we decided to get the papaya snow fungus and shaved almonds dessert ($6) and pear and aloe vera dessert ($6), which were so refreshing. In total we spent about $150 over the two visits. If I did have a criticism it was that the menu didn't state if the dishes were vegan friendly but the staff were helpful and were able to check with the chef. Overall, I cannot recommend this place enough. You won't be disappointed.

Pros: Fantastic food, Vegan options, Creative and authentic menu

Cons: Expensive (but well worth it), vegan options could be labelled

Great - really great - Edit

The food here is fantastic well done to Whole Earth. The 4 dishes we had were very nice and I will be going back again to sample more of the menu. The brown olive rice is superb

Pros: great menu, lots to choose from, tasty

Cons: they do that weird thing where they use the animal

Vegetarian - Edit

I think it is very important to note that this restaurant is not completely vegan. There is ice cream on the menu and this is dairy ice cream, not soy or any type of vegan ice cream. There is also some confusion about the meaning of 'vegan.' When we asked one of the staff what was vegan she said: "Everything is vegan except for milk." At least she was able to let us know about this and alert us that the ice cream was dairy. There may be other non-vegan items, but we only stopped here briefly for drinks and dessert. I can't give an informed rating for this reason.

Pros: Attentive staff, Close to train station

Cons: Unclear about what is vegan

Highest Standards Of Vegetarian Cuisine - Edit

Don't expect the usual vegetarian type of dishes. This is truly something which will surprise. Depth of tastes, Rich flavours, Quality of Ingredients at a brilliant location. Will be good to have more of such places in other cities to benefit more people.

Pros: great tastes, friendly staff, variety

Cons: simple decor

Good food but did not know what vegan means - Edit

was there a few days before. the staff did not know, what vegan mean. i have to describe it and then i taked a easy meni, where i can be sure, that it was vegan. the food is nice, but location is very expensive.

Pros: nice food, good value, friendly staff

Good food but expensive - Edit

I went to The Whole Eart a few times because it is conveniently located near Thiong Baru MRT station. The food is good but is pricey. Also I find the noise level too high becasue there is no decoration at all to absorb the noise. It feels a little like being in a empty factory warehouse.

Chinese New Year (CNY) Set Menu - Edit

Happen to get to know about CNY Set Menu at Whole Earth. There are about 5 CNY sets but we tried the 6-course CNY Set Menu - Joy Set @ S$188+ (LNY Special Menu) on 6 Feb 2010. Taking advantage of the early bird discount, we got a discount of 10% plus a complimentary dinning voucher.

Prosperity Abalone Fruit Enzyme YuSheng
This is well presented and looks so much better than the photo we got. Those few pea shoots on YuSheng look like fallen leaves lying on the ground, so natural and beautiful. There were many ingredients in this Yusheng, but I have no idea what there were and only know it tasted good. I guess the rest of us just find this dish delicious and really have no idea that it was healthier (using Fruit Enzyme) than the normal Yusheng which used plum sauce and oil.

Doubleboilded Golden Pumpkin Sharksfin Soup
LOVE it. It was real delicious, special, rich and my son kept asking for more. There were many different ingredients, yet balanced well and harmonize with the rest of the ingredients. Using pumpkin puree in the broth, make it looked like a pot of gold.

Nyonya Homemade Tofu Fish with Thai Dill Leaves
Appetizing and delectable! Something new to me - Thai Dill Leaves, still wondering what is that herb. The sauce of this dish came with the right thickness, sweet, sourly with bit spiciness. It was very appetizing and paired well with the Tofu Fish and steamed rice.

Monkeyhead Mushroom served on Asparagus
As usual, Monkeyhead Mushroom is our favourite. This dish was rather exceptional as it used Angelica Root which is full of goodness and yet not overpowering. Nicely presented. Asparagus is never my favourite but this dish was well done. The baby asparagus was fresh and not over cooked and soaking up the favour from the sauce nicely. Therefore, we could finish something which wasn't our favourite veggie.

Thai Vermicelli Tang Hoon
I like bean vermicelli (Tang Hoon) but not this combination. So, we requested the waitress to help us packed it as takeaway. Maybe, they should allow choices on noodle or vermicelli.

Homemade Lemongrass Jelly with Longan
For dessert, wobbly jelly full of lemongrass flavour was been served. Sweet (it tastes like there was honey) and refreshing!

Thai Battered Oyster Mushroom @ S$15
This dish was not in the CNY set menu. Whole Earth whips up this di

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy Cuisine, Friendly Staff

Where yummy food & great service meets - Edit

Yesterday my friends & I went to Whole Earth for lunch. It was my third time there and I just keep on coming back for their yummy & uber deliciously tasty sweet & sour delight. It has this sweet-tangy taste and soft meaty bite that I almost forgot it's vegetarian. Even though I'm a meat-eater, I just looove the food that they serve. Kudos to the chefs! :) The olive rice, too is very delicious. My friends ordered their assam pedas and sambal kangkong which they also found to be soooo yummy. It makes me go hungry now as I am writing this... All the staff too are pleasant and attentive, keep it up guys! Definitely i'll come back there soon with more friends! :)

Pros: delicious & healthy food, attentive staff, not oily

The Whole Earth - Edit

The bottom line is that the food is decent, but you can get the same thing elsewhere for cheaper. They also charge you for the little snacks you receive prior to the meal. This seems underhanded, since one would logically expect this to be complimentary. The atmosphere also leaves a lot to be desired, and it reminds me of eating in a vacant warehouse.

Pros: food, location

Magic - Edit

Great food!!!!
As you come off the busy Geylang road, you enter Whole Earth, the complete opposite to the busy life outside.
Compared to the other veggie places in theis area, you have nice decor and a great atmosphere. Good variety of dishes, with many recommendations. Dishes cost from gbp5/usd10, and good selection of tea/fruit juices.
A must!!!

Pros: good food, nice staff

Best Vegeterian Food.. - Edit

Whole earth serves the fresh and organic food.. Homemade tofu which is soft and smooth that melts in ur mouth (cold tofu and oat cereal tofu are the best).. deep fried mushroom taste fresh coz it's fried in a fresh new oil each time when they serve the dish.Love their soup, Olive fried rice, satay, sweet and sour "pork", Ah siam "fish" and etc... its a die die MUST MUST TRY! Best ever...

You wont believe it's vegetarian. Truly the Best! - Edit

tasty, fresh, not oily and superb flavours! Location could be better but the trip is worth it! All my friends and family are impressed and they are not vegetarians. Price is reasonable considering the quality. So for all vegetarians and non-vegetarians, this is IT! MUST GO!

Pros: excellent food, fresh food, good value

As advertised - delicious! - Edit

We visited Whole Earth yesterday, and I an still fantasizing about the meal. Let's get the (sligit) negative out of the way first. This is an expensive meal for Singapore, though hardly costly by U.S. or European standards. Our meal for two (including a voucher - see below) came to $80. Considering we could easily eat a very good meal in most of Singapore for $20-30, it's undoubtedly pricey.
And worth every penny. The food at Whole Earth was really special, and the service excellent. But let's talk first about the food! We ordered four dishes. One was off the charts amazing, two were great and one was above-average, dragged down only by the comparative excellence of the others, and we barely got into some of the amazingly varied menu items. Everything is very fresh, beautifully prepared and FULL of flavour. The Sweet and Sour Delight was the BEST mock meat dish I have ever tasted - and I've eaten at over 40 of these types of restaurants at least. We also enjoyed the Asparagus with Eel Mushrooms, and the Monkeyhead Mushroom Satay. Fresh coconut milk washed everything down beautifully. You can make your meal a bit cheaper by visiting the Whole Earth web site and downloading one of their vouchers. They don't seem to have any expiry date. Do yourself a favour and visit this place!

Pros: Amazing food, great staff, reasonable portions

Cons: expensive!

Superb Restaurant - Edit

The Whole Earth totally changed my perception of vegetarian food. Before, vegetarian food to me is mainly oily gluten mock food that tastes the same and have a rubbery texture.

The dishes at The Whole Earth are simply superb! The olive rice is the best I've ever eaten. The oatmeal tofu is done perfectly - crispy on the outside and yet soft inside. A surprisingly nice dish is the interesting combination of monkeyhead mushroom with aloe vera.

They've managed to bring out the natural goodness and taste of the fresh ingredients. And the best part of all, they did it without any added MSG! Brilliant! A definite must place to have a healthy wholesome meal !!

With food tasting so good, I do not mind being a vegetarian!

Pros: Natural Goodness, Yummy Food

Excellent food, nice venue. - Edit

I found The Whole Earth to be a a bit nicer than most of the Chinese Vegetarian eateries in Singapore. The venue is pleasant and modern if not special and the menu is more varied than other places. They specialize in Peranakan dishes as well as several Thai options. We had the Nonya curry, pretty good, pretty hot, the pad thai, simple but nice, the sambal brinjal (eggplant), very good, beatiful flavour and texture and the yam paste dessert which was lovely and very creamy. We also had the crispy fish/seaweed which is provided at the start of the meal- very interesting and unusual taste.

Prices are slightly higher than average but the quality of food justified it. We paid $48 for 3 dishes, 1 dessert and 2 drinks. I will definitely come here again.

Pros: Variety, Modern, Very tasty

Cons: Not most convenient location.

They've matured - Edit

Tried it a couple of years ago, and I remember thinking that it was no big deal. Went back recently again, and liked mostly what we had. They have a good selection on their menu, and we ordered mostly peranakan -- this is probably the only restaurant in Singapore serving vegetarian pernakan food, and they're good. The only dish I didn't enjoy was their curry lamb (?)... maybe because we ordered too much.

Pros: Peranakan options!, Wide variety., Tasty food

Cons: Parking hard to find, Stroller unfriendly

Return to Central Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Whole Earth Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7799 times since Aug 2007.